The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2008, 01:32 AM

jaybug is on a distinguished road
Default What's the Best Fly Rod under $60 New? - your input wanted

If you have used a fly rod that cost under $60 please tell us the model, estimated ordinary price (not the sale price), and good and bad points and if you'd recommend it.

(I see a lot of comments about more expensive rods, but cheap rods can be great, but which ones? I have met a few beginner anglers who have brand new Z Axis Sages. Maybe we could help more people start fly fishing if we could refer to this forum's threads about cheaper models and get this sport to fit their budgets. I hope we discover which is the cheapest rod that we would enjoy owning. Try to use the ordinary price as a guide. I get a lot of them as closeouts or on sale, but the next person probably can't. Just estimate the retail ordinary price if you don't know.)
Old 12-28-2008, 09:14 AM

MikeG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What's the Best Fly Rod under $60 New? - your input wanted

I never met a beginner with a Z-axis Sage.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:35 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

IMHO, Cheap rods are cheap rods ....period.
In nearly every case, to get a decent rod at that price range you'll need to look at close-outs, used, or homerolled.
If you can expand your price range to $100 or better retail, then you're at a whole new level where you'll find some much better choices
I highly recommend looking around for a deal before you pay retail for a rod that will be less than spectacular

Nearly everyone of my modern factory rods were close-outs.... half price or better, including some (former) top-of-the-line rods in the $100-$150 range
It pays to look around.
Building you're own rod is a good option too and is not difficult. If I can do it, anyone can
Used is always a good choice. I bought a well used, high end rod a couple of years ago for $30. It needed some work, but I was glad to do it, because I now have a very fine fishing tool that I otherwise could not afford.

One very cheap rod that I like is the Eagle Claw Featherweight
This short fiberglass rod is a very good choice for small stream fishing
They come in a 6'6" 5wt and a 7' 6wt and retail for about $18
Old 12-28-2008, 10:24 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

To answer the original question....
I have had or tried a bunch of cheap rods over the years
The Cabela's 3 Forks 3wt (usable)
A Berkley IM6 5wt (a real dog)
An Eagle Claw graphite 6wt (no thank you)
My son has one of the Pfluegers, a 6wt, don't remember which one, (not bad)
A Scientific Anglers 8wt, (pretty good, also available in 6wt)
A $13 no name 6wt from Walmart (I use it to play with the house cats)
My favorite cheap rod and the only one I really use came from Sportsman's Guide.... a 10' 8wt .. $25.... unfortunately no longer available
Old 12-28-2008, 10:32 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

The club I belong to picked up a batch of Scientific Anglers rods as a VERY good price.
Most agreed that they cast far better than another extremely popular brand whose name cannot be mentioned unless followed with the words, 'for the price'
Old 12-28-2008, 10:35 AM

KRD will become famous soon enough

I use a 6' 3wt WWGrigg. paid $30 or $40 for it. I was very surprised by this little rod. it is easy to cast, and small to take small streaming.
I'm not going to win any casting competions with it, but I can cast across a small pond I fish. About 45 feet.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Those SA rods are about the only one's I'd dare recommend in that price range.

I'm actually eager to pick up one of those Eagle Claw Glass rods to try myself, but I'm not sure I'd recommend such a thing for beginners.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:48 AM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

I have one of the updated Cabelas 3 forks that I like. It is a 3 wt.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:11 PM
RDRogers is on a distinguished road

I started with a Cabela's 3 forks 3wt. I liked it a lot. Wish I still had it. Great beginner rod.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:02 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
I never met a beginner with a Z-axis Sage.
I know of only one.

And he bought an Abel reel to go with it.

Jaybug, I doubt if you're going to find a decent NEW rod for $60. I'd say for $120 you can. The problem I see with a cheap rod is the learning curve. A better built rod will cast easier, and make fishing more pleasureable.I think you'll find rods that cost twice as much ($120) are 4 times better a rod.
If I was starting out, I'd check on ebay for a rod, or on For Sale sections of websites like this one..
Face it. Fly fishing is an expensive sport/addiction/habit.