The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2010, 05:14 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Diamondback Glass Rods are Back

I saw in the latest issue of Eastern Fly Fishing that Diamondback (nee Cortland) is bringing their S2-based glass rods back into production; and at a pretty reasonable price ($299 retail). From the pic in the mag, the rod looks nice; black gloss blanks, dark blue thread wraps with silver accents and burled maple reel seats. I have one of the older Diamondback Diamondglass rods; a 7'6" 3 wt. that's been one of my favorite small water (Brookies) sticks for some time now. The new line runs from a 6'0" 2 wt. to an 8'6" 4 wt. The smallest rod is 2-piece, the rest are 3-piece; meaning for me, that they'll fit in a suitcase!

Christmas is coming............. time to start on my list!

Pocono
Old 11-12-2010, 08:36 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Diamondback Glass Rods are Back

Did the magazine offer any idea about where the rod is manufactured? A price of $300 isn't extreme, but if it's a MIC rod.......
Old 11-12-2010, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Current rumors from those in the know are that the blanks are actually made by McFarland, and that the production run will be quite short.

I also know that they're not making the 8' 5wt that was in the old line, and that the 8' 4wt will be a 3pc rather than 2pc like the old ones.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Allan I feel like buying a glass rod again,I saw beautiful ones on ebay last yearWe're like kids with toys...I sold mine a few years ago...
Old 11-12-2010, 02:55 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Frank, as long as it's "FIA" "Fishable in America", it will be OK with me. I head out to Beijing tomorrow afternoon for the next week.

Cliff, yes they're all 3 piece, except for the little 6'0" 2 wt. If MacFarland is actually rolling the blanks then that's a huge plus - moving up on my list! Now....... which one do I really "need" the most?

J-P, I like toys! That's never been a stopper for me. I think it's time that you considered a new glass rod!

Pocono
Old 11-12-2010, 05:22 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

My brother-in-law has expanded his business into China, Allan. See if you can't find one for $39 while you're over there.

The last I saw in my research was overseas blank, finished in USA. Who knows, but I would like to pay fair price. What fair price is depends on whether it's a fantastic rod, and McFarland and Steffen can't do better.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:24 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

The blanks are E-glass blanks being rolled to the old specs in China. The rods are being built by McFarland's shop in the US so I guess it's the best of both worlds. I own a 7-4 of the old series, and the new rod is a superior rod in every aspect of workmanship. If the samples are any indication they are as high if not higher quality then any production rod in the US. So far the response form dealers casting them has been big smiles. I do doubt that Cortland will be able to hold the $299 price for longer then one season. And I suspect supply may be an issue.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:29 PM

Thanks for that info, Burk. Why is Cortland going back to glass if they aren't certain about its future? Are they testing the market? The Diamondback bamboo didn't seem to do well at all, but the one I played with seemed fine.

P.S. Here's one of Mojo's glass rod posts from 2009:
It's in what you want to pay. How much are you looking to spend. We can find an inexpensive spinning rod you can turn into a fly rod (lots of people have done it) or- for e-glass, Lamiglass Honey blanks start at about $70 for a 6'6" 3w (2pc.) up to $150 for a 8' 5w 6pc. The Spring Creek is a brown color glass and they're about $55 for a 3w and around $70 for a 7'6" 4w. (Just finished up wrapping one for a Project Healing Waters rod). I don't see much difference in the honey or the SC in the 7'6" 4w's. And there's only two models in the Spring Creek.
Then, you can get a little more expensive and go a Steffan Brothers- S glass which is faster than E-glass, and Mark will make one for you to your specs. Tell him what you are using it for, and have him suggest a blank for you. Steffan blanks are $120 for a 2 pc. up to $185 for a 4pc.( these prices were correct last time I checked) Different weights come in different pc configurations. You'd have to talk to him.
Then we have one of my favorite rods, McFarland. He uses E-glass. He'll build them to your specs too. His prices are $185 for a 2 or 3 pc. blank.
Tom Morgan has new blanks out in a ruby red color. $295 for a blank. Kerry Burkheimer is supposed to be rolling these.
There is another blank line- Kettle Creek rods. Vince Cummings designed I think. A guy named Phil Baldacchino has Kettle Creek Tackle Shop in Pennsylvania. No internet, just phone and fax. I think his prices are in the $75 range for blanks. Guys I know love the blanks.
One more place, it's costly too, is Rick's Rods out of Denver. I think you can get Phillipson blanks or rod kit's but you're looking at least $200 or $300- you'd have to call him, but there's some W&M Trevarno glass rod blanks for cheap.
Right now I can't think of any more makes of blank lines. So, if you want to go cheap, middle of the road, or into some bucks, it's your choice.
Anglersworkshop and Mudhole carries Lamiglas, McFarland Rod Company, Tom Morgan Rodsmiths, Rick's Rods and Steffan Brothers have websites. Phil has a phone and fax.

It appears Mark Steffen will make a blank/rod to your specs $135/$330, and works right here in the USA, so......
Old 11-13-2010, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
My brother-in-law has expanded his business into China, Allan. See if you can't find one for $39 while you're over there.

The last I saw in my research was overseas blank, finished in USA. Who knows, but I would like to pay fair price. What fair price is depends on whether it's a fantastic rod, and McFarland and Steffen can't do better.
Frank, I don't disagree with your point on the price of products MIC. But, the price on this rod seems reasonable and, frankly, if I leave a little more profit margin in the US to help offset the cost of the products that they make here, then that's OK with me. I will, however, look for that $39.00 rod!

To follow on Burk48273's post, the article in Eastern Fly Fishing said that the blanks were made from S2 glass. Since I liked the old Diamondglass rods, which were also S-glass, I hope that they continue to use it in the new blanks.

I think I'll be headed for a bushwhacking rod; probably the 6'6" 2 wt. (I know, I've said many times before on this forum that, for me, there's no need to ever drop below a 3 wt., but I'm going to give it a try!). Maybe you actually can teach an old dog new tricks!

Pocono
Old 11-13-2010, 06:43 AM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

The issue on the Diamondback Bamboo was quality control on an essentially handmade component (the blank) from China. Our rejection rate on those blanks approached 50%. But building a Bamboo blank right is a lot different then rolling a glass or graphite blank. It was just too hard (at that time) to get consistency from Chinese suppliers. The finished rods (especially the 7'6") were actually pretty nice and we sold EVERYONE we made. In a way though I'm glad to see Bamboo remain a largely American craftsman dominated field. There's something special about the detail of a crafted bamboo rod.

With these, I don't anticipate blank supply being the issue. To me the only issue will be if we can keep up with the demand building them in a small shop. The quality may be worth it. I suspect they will be tough to get early in the season. But the ones I've seen are worth every dime. Are far as the future of the market, I think we're convinced that their will be always be demand for glass as a niche segment of the market. For places like the Smokies, and Michigan's Pigeon River country they're hard to beat.