The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2010, 08:51 AM

Laurel Fork is on a distinguished road
Default Sage DS2

I am curious what the evolution of the lower in price Sage line of rods DS2 - Launch-Vantage is in terms of action and feel. Did going from the Graphite II of the DS2 to the G5 technology of the Launch change the rod line substantially? I have no experience with Sage rods so I was hoping someone could shed some light on my curiosity.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:03 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sage DS2

I wouldn't describe the technology for the Launch or Vantage as G5. Sage describes it as G5 like.

What has happened through the three generations of rods is that the rod feels have gotten lighter and crisper. The newer graphite quality is so much better that the rod feels lighter as it is casting out line. The reality is that they may have not dropped in weight physically or may have dropped by a 1/16 of an ounce. As for crispness, the blanks can generate more line speed without having a tip bounce around a lot.

MP

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 11-12-2010 at 06:25 PM. Reason: typos
Old 11-12-2010, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I'll share my take on the DS2, as I sold quite a few in my shop-rat days:

To me the rod seemed really perfectly designed for its purpose. It was very easy for a beginner to learn to cast, but also wouldn't suit them as well once they became a more proficient caster.

The struck me as a perfect "gateway drug".

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:27 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I owned an 8 1/2' 5wt Sage DS2, and it was fine. I had my 7-yr-old niece casting in about 10 minutes with that rod (she's now 15). I agree with Mosca, and would add that the Vantage is a very nice rod. Not as flashy or "nuanced" in terms of feel as the ZXL, but close enough to give it some serious consideration. It's Made in the USA, and the price is competitive with some of the "upper-end" Made in China rods.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:14 PM

ddombos2 will become famous soon enoughddombos2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to ddombos2 Send a message via Skype™ to ddombos2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
I'll share my take on the DS2, as I sold quite a few in my shop-rat days:

To me the rod seemed really perfectly designed for its purpose. It was very easy for a beginner to learn to cast, but also wouldn't suit them as well once they became a more proficient caster.

They struck me as a perfect "gateway drug".
Cliff,

You couldn't be more right. I started fly fishing with a DS2 590-2 gifted to me by my cousin who guided for Orvis at the time. I then picked up a lightly used 690-2. 7 years later I own 7 fly rods and those original DS2 rods are still in the active rotation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
I owned an 8 1/2' 5wt Sage DS2, and it was fine. I had my 7-yr-old niece casting in about 10 minutes with that rod (she's now 15). I agree with Mosca, and would add that the Vantage is a very nice rod. Not as flashy or "nuanced" in terms of feel as the ZXL, but close enough to give it some serious consideration. It's Made in the USA, and the price is competitive with some of the "upper-end" Made in China rods.
Frank,

As you say, these rods are good rods to learn and improve with, and they offer a good deal of instant gratification. They are a moderate action rod that can throw decent loops with modest casting technique and helps when throwing an open loop for multiple fly rigs.