The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2005, 03:52 PM

chuck145 will become famous soon enoughchuck145 will become famous soon enough
Post $40 rod vs $140 rod

I am new to fly fishing; but, I have fished for the last 40 years. I have assess to inexpensive equipment in my town but not to the higher "quality" equipment I read about and see on the internet. I dont mind paying more for the quality if it is something I can appreciate which brings me to my question....As a beginning fly fisherman, using a good reel and cortman 333pro fly line would I appreciate the difference in a $40 Martin 5w 9 ft rod and say a $140 Echo rod of the same specs?
Old 12-02-2005, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: $40 rod vs $140 rod

Yes. 6-10 years ago this would not have been the case, but in the last few years the quality of most of the $80-$200 rods has gone WAY up. The Martin would be the kind of rod that would get you started, but that you would grow out of fairly quickly. The ECHO is one you wouldn't grow out of.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:54 PM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough

I began with the "cheap stuff" and have graduated up what most call the "high end" stuff. I reall does make all the difference in the world. The gear is lighter and the lines shoot faster and better. If you are out for a long day of casting, you will appreciate the lighter rods, reels, etc.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:30 PM

I appreciate the responses. Aside from the weight issues, what should I expect out of the better rods? The Martin that I looked at locally is graphite and certainly much lighter than the old fiberglass fly rod I have. Is a good rod just something you have to experience? And would the weekend warrior recognize the difference? I apologize for being a pain about this; but, I am just trying to understand what differences I should expect. Thanks in advance for your responses
Old 12-03-2005, 12:09 AM

Talking Re: $40 rod vs $140 rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck145
I appreciate the responses. Aside from the weight issues, what should I expect out of the better rods? The Martin that I looked at locally is graphite and certainly much lighter than the old fiberglass fly rod I have. Is a good rod just something you have to experience? And would the weekend warrior recognize the difference? I apologize for being a pain about this; but, I am just trying to understand what differences I should expect. Thanks in advance for your responses
  1. Just about any fly shop worth a **** will let you cast as many rods as you like before you buy.
  2. Yes, you will immediately feel the difference.
  3. Besides weight, the rod will load the line faster & the line will shoot through the better guides easier.
  4. No offense, but I wouldnt classify a Martin rod as a "higher end rod". Pick yourself up a Sage. Even their entry level rod ( about $200 ) is a **** nice stick.
I personally own:
Orivis Rods ( two ) (4wt & 5wt) 9'ers
Sage Rods ( two ) (4wt & 5wt) 9'ers
4wt Rogue 8'er (one)
Custom made 5 piece ( one ) 8'5" 5wt
Echo 9' 4 piece 9wt (one)

And I am picking up a 6wt 4 piece winston.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:46 AM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis

You can get nice casting rods that are sub $100. I personally have a Cabelas Traditional series rod that cost me $69 and I absolutely love it. It is very smooth, light, and responsive. That is not to say that the high dollar rods are not nice but I just don't feel I need them anymore.

I kind of think a little opposite of others. I personally think a good flyfisherman does well without having to break the bank.

And Fanatic, I WANT THAT ROGUE BACK!!!!
Old 12-03-2005, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis
And Fanatic, I WANT THAT ROGUE BACK!!!!
I might be willing to part with it, maybe. It is my panfish rod..
Old 12-04-2005, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones

I understand the conserns of not going overboard on spending when you're just getting started. However, the worst thing you can do is to get a cheep rod to start... the absolute worse thing. I've taught fly fishing and fly casting for over 8 years at our local communitty college. So many times I've seen a newby get a cheep rod ... "just to see if they'll like fly fishing"... then casting becomes difficult... then they lose interest.

My advice is to not get any rod for less than $100. I don't care who you get it from. Don't spend less than $100 if you want a rod that will load properly and be easy to cast. Experienced casters can take a cheep rod and sometimes make it work. Begginers simply cannot pull that off. So... stop trying to save a few bucks... and get a good rod. Forget the Martin.

Old 12-04-2005, 08:43 PM

Thanks to all for the input. I also visited with Steve via telephone and I greatly appreciate his input. I have given my wife my christmas list. It consists of the Echo 5w rod, Stone Creek Voyager reel and Cortland 333pro trout WF rocket taper line. The line is something I am not totally sure about. I am going to fish for bass, bream and occasionally trout. If I am going the wrong direction with the line, someone let me know.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:24 PM

Echo makes a great inexpensive rod. I recently picked up a 9' 9wt 4 piece from Steve. It is a cannon!