The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2009, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Evalute this rod for a newbie please

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbrowntrout2 View Post
I own three Leonards. Unless someone has completely redone that rod, that is probably a fake. If this is your first fly rod, i dont think youll be happy with boo. Bamboo takes a kind of mind set to fish it right. Some features (the wraps) say yes, but the rest say no.

I would be leery of buying a rod like that without two tips, and from an unknown seller.
With that said, take a look at those windings. I dress rods better than that, much better. Been a long time since I've been in a shop that sold Leonard rods (last one I knew of 1977) but this one doesn't look good to me.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:42 PM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about

Let me clarify...i have seen a few TRUE leonards with the rap colors like that, but they appear to be cheap and fraying a little bit, which would be EXTREMELY unusual of a leonard.....
Old 01-17-2009, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

KS,

It's all good, I didn't mean to tread on your cane credentials I was just issuing a further warning to the potential buyer.

I associate windings like those with pre 1950 works and some British dressings. As stated they are usually much tighter even if the varnish is wearing thin. I tried to PM you but the site says that's not happening. That's why the post was out here for all to see our back and forth.

You don't happen to have a model 50 do you? An old friend used to let me fish his when I was pondering a purchase long ago. Wish I had gotten it.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:56 PM

MontanaMoose will become famous soon enoughMontanaMoose will become famous soon enough

Hello hgriffin1, well you've been offered some great advice already but I took a look at the pics and I can point out a couple of things and ask a question. The reel seat isn't what I'm used to seeing on Leonard rods and the markings are fairly obviously applied with a modern marker.

I'd ask you to have a look at the end of the butt cap to see if there is anything inscribed there and though there may have been some early Leonards with nothing there, even the predecessor Mills and sons rods had an inscription. Oh and the swelled butt does make me think of a Leonard but then there were other bamboo fly rods that had that also.

At best it may be an old redo of a Leonard, in which case and if the pieces were the same length it could be salvaged but I wouldn't start at the price mentioned.

Also you could locate a knowledgeable builder in your area to have a look at it for verification....or, just buy it if it seems fishable (Joni's 'shake it' advice is right on) then use it and enjoy it...hope this helps half as much as some of the other info !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose
Old 01-18-2009, 12:33 PM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about

Hardy,

In no way had i taken any offense. I also was trying to keep someone from getting ripped off. Ive read your posts, and know that you are knowledgable.
As you said before, its all good.

I also tend to agree with Montana Moose. If you cast it and you like it...FISH IT!

Once you go to cane, its hard to go back to graphite. Then you run into the problem that everyone who loves cane runs into...$$$...

New cane rods retail from 800-2500 bucks.

Best of Luck, and be sure to ask anymore questions
Old 02-03-2009, 12:12 AM

MontyMan is on a distinguished road

hgriffin1,

The rod you have posted is most likely a high-end Montague fly rod, probably from the 1940's or 1950's.

The reel seat, ferrule markings and swell in the butt of the cane at the grip are all consistent with high-end Montys from this period. The reel seat is the style used on the Red Wing, Manitou and about a dozen other high-end Monty models. I have one in front of me now with a cedar insert that is nearly identical to the one in your photos. It is most likely not a Red Wing or Manitou, since these did not typically have the wood spacer, and the cane on them was typically flamed to be darker.

It appears that the rod was re-wrapped and re-varnished. The wrap colors would be nearly identical at both ferrules, if the wraps were factory or professionally done.

The hand scripting of "Leonard" and the length and weight are not consistent with scripting on Montague rods, or any other manufacturer that I've seen. The script is much too sloppy to have been done by a professional. It looks like it was scribbled on with a felt tipped marker. It is even smudged in a few places.

Others have given you some solid advice about an extra tip, and your relative experience with bamboo.

If all 3 sections are of equal length, it could be worth $100, but it's still a gamble. If not, it is probably not worth $100, and you can get a lot more rod for your money than this one. The attempted deception alone would turn me away from this rod.

If the re-finisher left any signature wraps on the cane, just above the cork grip, I may be able to identify which Montague model it is/was. Feel free to PM me for additional help.

MontyMan Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.