The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2009, 06:33 PM

hgriffin1 is on a distinguished road
Default Evalute this rod for a newbie please

I have been offered the fly rod in the attached pictures. I am completely new to bamboo fly rods so I am asking for some help in evaluating this rod. Is it a counterfeit of a good name (i.e. has someone added the name after the fact), has it got any visible problems, what is it worth? I realize that it is difficult to evaluate properly from a few pictures but I am hoping someone can do a cursory evaluation. If it appears to be worth while, I will seek out an expert for a full evaluation. It has the following designations in black under the lacquer just above the butt: "Leonard"; 8'-7" ; 5 wt. All of these appear in the attachments. It is in a cloth bag in a metal tube with a chrome or Nichol screw cap.
There are no engravings on the butt or any of the other metal parts.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Cheers,
Hugh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fr1.jpg (88.5 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg fl2.jpg (100.2 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg fl3.jpg (98.8 KB, 62 views)
Old 01-15-2009, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Evalute this rod for a newbie please

Sorry I don't know boo, but you could post here too:
The Classic Fly Rod Forum - Message Board - Yuku

The guys and gals over there could probably give you more info in terms of what to look for specifically (bends or sets, cracks/splitting, evidence of re wraps replacement etc in terms of what to look for in an old boo rod, as well as give some opinions on authentication etc to make sure its a Leonard.

Good luck, and let us know what you find out. It looks like a beauty to my eye, but I don't know nuthin' about cane.

peregrines
Old 01-15-2009, 09:26 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Is it offered to you for free or is it for sale?

If free I wouldn't worry too much about its origin. If for a price that's another matter.

Main points are as follows; are the shafts strait and the tips of equal length? Can you see any fractures or obvious repairs to the rod?

As for authenticity could be that the rod was refurbished by a non professional and the hardware has been replaced. The shaft re-marked as for reference.

There are very specific tapers for Leonard rods and a micrometer will tell you if you have an actual H.L. Leonard taper. I am not a Leonard expert but do not know of an 8'7" 5wt. using a Micrometer on the rod may be the only way to identify the taper when the rod is unmarked or marked as this one is.

Hope that helps a bit. I've had a few unknowns and used measurements to identify the rods. As stated, if it's free it's all good.

P.S. just took another look at your pics, ferrules don't look like Leonard to me but remember if it's free take it. Also with the pinned butt cap I would expect flamed shafts not bright but then I'm no expert.

Oldman knows cane...................
Old 01-15-2009, 10:10 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

If it is a true Leonard...WAHOOO! The wraps do look old school.
If you can feel before buying (if that is the case) Put it together, but remember, Bamboo is STRAIGHT IN, no twisting. Then wiggle the stick. I have had some that doing this you feel a clicking more or less, which means ferrules might not be lining up right.
As Hardy said, are the pieces the right length (not broke off then re-capped). Next are all pieces straight.
If it is a true Leonard, it would be worth it even if you needed minor adjustments made.
LUCKY YOU!
Old 01-16-2009, 12:32 PM

hgriffin1 is on a distinguished road

Hello Hardy(and thanks to those who have posted so far!),

I am being offered the rod for $125-$150. The length seems good. I measured the overall length and I was 8-7". The handle section and mid section are straight. The tip section (only one) is slightly bowed. Otherwise, it seems to be intact. No splits or other damage is visable.

Thanks,
Hugh
Old 01-16-2009, 01:37 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

"Newbie" in the sense that you haven't done any flyfishing before? If that's
the case, I'd find a nice 8'6"-9' 5wt graphite rod. The bamboo rod may not
be the best for learning how to cast. Of course that comment will open a
can of worms, but it's true . $125-$150 will buy a very nice rod, especially
if you look at the used market. I have an 8'6" Diamondback Aeroflex 5wt in
the Classified Forum, and I guarantee you'd be much happier with that. There
are other rods there as well....
Old 01-16-2009, 02:08 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Even if it is a counterfit it's still worth $125
If it's really a Leonard it's worth a lot more...10 times maybe
Old 01-16-2009, 02:09 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

That is true. For a newbie as far as function, Graphite for sure. That bamboo could be a collectors, but maybe not. You would have to get a trained boo eye to tell you that.
But, again like FB2 said, if you are looking for a fly rod to USE and learn with...I second the plastic.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgriffin1 View Post
Hello Hardy(and thanks to those who have posted so far!),

I am being offered the rod for $125-$150. The length seems good. I measured the overall length and I was 8-7". The handle section and mid section are straight. The tip section (only one) is slightly bowed. Otherwise, it seems to be intact. No splits or other damage is visable.

Thanks,
Hugh
You can buy a new rod with two tips for that money on eBay. The one tip thing would bother me especially on an old rod. The pinned butt cap tells me it is pre sixties maybe even pre fifties. The varnish looks like it is scaling and does not look original although it could be photos can deceive the eye.

Check the Bay / eBay search Bamboo fly rod and take your time, you'll be better off with a 2 tip rod whose manufacturer is still around in case you pop a tip. I wore out a tip on my flea rod back in the 90's. I didn't step on it, slam it, or anything else. I had fished it about 75 - 100 times a year for 15 years and it simply popped above the male ferrule wrap one day. I finished the season with my spare then sent it back to the manufacturer and they replaced it for free. Thank you Mr. White.

So, think long and hard before buying a single tip rod of unknown origin for $150.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:33 PM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about

I own three Leonards. Unless someone has completely redone that rod, that is probably a fake. If this is your first fly rod, i dont think youll be happy with boo. Bamboo takes a kind of mind set to fish it right. Some features (the wraps) say yes, but the rest say no.

I would be leery of buying a rod like that without two tips, and from an unknown seller.