The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2009, 12:49 PM

BigNick is on a distinguished road
Default Sage GLF???

I'm trying to get some info on a Sage GLF 5wt. fly rod. A friend has one he has offered to sell to me (sight un-seen) and I'm having trouble finding anything about this rod. I have googled it and still can't get any info. If anyone has any knowledge about this I would appreciate your sharing it with me. Oh, by the way, he has offered me this rod for $100. Says it is like new.
Thanks for your input,
Big Nick
Old 01-17-2009, 01:18 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sage GLF???

Here's a response from Doug McNair regarding the same rod:Doug Macnair fishing questions and answers
Old 01-17-2009, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi BigNick,

I have one of those rods. The nomenclature on the rod read: "SAGE Graphite III GFL 590 RPL. I think a lot of these rods are refereed to as a RPL rod. I didn't remember the GFL being on the rod until I looked at it. The first generation of Sage rods were called the RP and made with Graphite II. The second generation rods were made with Graphite III and called the RPL. I don't know if all RPL rods are GFL rods or if the GFL was a special rod. Since my rod has both the GFL and the RPL markings I assume they are the same rod. I have a RPL+ rod that is graphite III construction and it does not have the GFL marking. In any event I would get it for $100. To me it has a medium action.

If anyone else has a RPL rod does it also say GFL?

Frank
Old 01-17-2009, 02:32 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

You can clearly see a GFL label in this link: Sage Graphite III GFL 366LLB Fly Rod - eBay (item 220345660322 end time Jan-25-09 17:05:26 PST)
Old 01-17-2009, 02:38 PM

Hi Frank,
Here's another ebay rod with GFL/RPLX on the tube's cap: NEW SAGE Fly Fishing Rod GFL 1190RPLX 9ft.#11 Graphite - eBay (item 400022551688 end time Jan-18-09 18:38:00 PST)
Old 01-17-2009, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi FrankB2,

Now I am really confused with the GFL designation. It is strange that my RPL+ doesn't have GFL but the RPLx does have it. You have better eyes than me if you can read that cap. It is strange that he shows the rod cover and tube but not the rod.

I have sent an Email to Sage and if they reply I will post the information.

Frank
Old 01-17-2009, 08:31 PM

BigNick is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replys guys. I had already read the Doug Macnair info but he really doesn't answer the question. And Frank, if you think you are confused, you can't believe how confused I am. To take you a step futher. I drove over to see my "friend" this afternoon and looked at the rod. It says on the rod;
SAGE GLF MA
5wt. 9'

There's no mention of RPL or any other writing. The Sage alum. case cap has
GLF 5wt 9' and Sage's address underneath. The rod is lightly used but I did notice that the cork handle has some play in it up and down about an 1/8 of an inch and then noticed that the cork has apparently come un-glued because the entire cork handle will turn on the rod shaft completely. At this point the deal kind of fell apart but my "friend" says Sage will repair it at no cost. I'm not so sure about that. Now what about you guys, is this a deal breaker? Can the cork handle be glued back without a lot of trouble? Is this something that I might try? Oh, yes - the reel insert looks to be walnut and the knurl nut is on the top instead of the bottom of the seat.
I really like this rod and I think I could be happy with it (it'a grey) and I like the idea of getting a Sage for $80.(He came down over the loose handle).
I'd like as much input as ya'll will give me.
Thanks
Nick
Old 01-17-2009, 11:26 PM

MontanaMoose will become famous soon enoughMontanaMoose will become famous soon enough

Hello BigNick, my early Sage RPL blanks are a rootbeer brown and I have seen GFL's that are the same color but I haven't seen a gray GFL blank. Hope someone has or were it me buying from a 'friend' I'd be curious and cautious. Not meaning to alarm but your mention of the 'grey' color tossed out a red flag, so thought I'd mention it.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose
Old 01-18-2009, 02:06 AM

One of the GLF rods currently on ebay has a grey blank. Frank Whiton's
email to Sage should unravel the mystery.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:49 AM
Administrator

Hi to all,

OK, now it is even more of a mystery as my rod says GFL, not GLF. I don't think the grey blank is Graphite unless it is one of their first graphite rods. Sage made glass rods before the graphite rods and this rod may be glass. I know the first generation of graphite rods that I have seen were the RP with Graphite II.

Frank