The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2009, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Rod Weight vs Fly Weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnTom View Post
Bill you mentioned, if I understood you correctly, the inappropriateness of a 3 wt line. Please explain.

I do have a 4 wt wf f that I haven't tried.

I haven't had the rod to the water yet but have had it out in the grass and found it a little awkward in that I didnt feel like I was getting the rod loaded.

Would that be something that might be from the 3wt line. The rod is marked a 4wt and the seller thought a 3 wt line fit the rod quite well. (And it could be the user) It was a pretty windy day and the fly I had on was an untrimmed muddler with no barb and it grabbed a lot of air.
Bill? I referred to a 3wt as "inappropriate" so I'll assume its me you were referring to. A fly line is effectively towing the fly during casting. A fly line will only be able to "tow" a fly up to a certain weight/percentage of its own weight and do it well. (I suppose someone who is a more adept mather than I could give us a formula/algorithm/chart for guidance, but I've never seen/created such a thing)

Casting a Clouser of any sort on a 3wt line is a bit like towing a horse trailer with a Volkswagen. Skill can make it possible, but nothing can make it ideal. I'd have to agree with the idea that using a 4wt instead is about like replacing the Volkswagen with a Ford Ranger, but at least the Ranger has an engine and brakes designed for moving some weight around.

A 4wt rod and line should indeed work better for throwing weighted Clousers, but a 6-8wt rod/line would really be the appropriate pairing.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:44 AM

TnTom is on a distinguished road

Yes Cliff sorry.
My original thought was to tie a a Clousure light enough to use with my 4 wt rod. Thanks for all the feedback.
Tom
Old 01-21-2009, 01:27 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

My thoughts are...on a Bamboo, the 3wt is going to make it a little quicker...it is all in the feel. Personally I think a 3wt loads every bit as well as a 4wt of equal line. It is the caster in this case. The fly alone should be loading the rod SPECIALLY a weighted fly.
I am thinking, you say the 3 isn't loading is possibly you are waiting long enough. Just a guess that is all.
In the old days, Bamboo was about all there was and the old English tied very heavy nymphs.
It is all about knowing your rod and your experience. I am not saying to try a #2 hook with matching weighted eyes, but a #12 with either chain or small weighted eyes is no big deal. Just learn your rod. Slow down and cast more to the side than straight over head.

Reason I say this is I too fish a 4 weight bamboo. I do not carry two rods with me on the rivers, so, I make due with what I have. Usually I fish dries when situation is right, or dry dropper, but I have landed some very nice fish by going deep with 1 to 3 "BB" size split shot. So, how is that different than small weighted clousers?
Old 01-21-2009, 10:09 PM

TnTom is on a distinguished road

Joni,
Bear with my novice understanding about flyfishing but I'm a novice. I'm sure that 99.9% of the things that I cant get right immediately is due in part to that. Up to this point all of my fly fishing has been with fiberglass or graphite. Until a year ago I fished with spinning or bait casting equipment and the rods had recommended weights that were coordinated with the lures. One almost knows without casting if a certain weight lure would overload the rod.

If a certain bamboo flyrod lets say a 4wt rod, with an appropriate reel mounted and the appropriate line spooled out to say 30' creates a "perfectly" loaded rod condition how much weight in the form of a fly can be added without verloading the rod?

If I hit a bamboo rod with a weighted fly is the risk of rod breakage as great as if with a graphite rod?

I'll try getting a little more to the side with my casting and I appreciate your comments.

Tom
Old 01-21-2009, 10:44 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

That is a tough one cause it takes experimenting. With a 4 weight plastic, glass, or bamboo, you are not talking ALLOT of weight. To be safe I would go with the chain eyes, I just mean IT CAN be done. Plus ROLL CASTING is a great way to avoid hitting the tip.

I don't weight allot of my flies. I use sinking line. This way I can get into the zone WITH OUT the fear of clipping the rod, another thought, plus they aren't any harder to cast to me than a floating, but I use FULL SINK. Some sink tips or streamer lines I feel are way too heavy.

I should say, I have used BB's on a boo. Not the best, not the easiest, just...it can be done.

And on the loading, what line are you using? Allot of people prefer DT on boo.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:32 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

A properly executed oval cast will keep a bead head away from the rod
entirely.