The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2009, 08:20 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Need 6 wt. rod recommendation

I need to purchase two 6 wt. rods for a fishing trip that we're taking to Chilean Patagonia in early March. The fishing will be on both lakes and rivers. Trout in the 18-25" range. We'll use the 6 wts. for streamer / wet fly fishing with sink-tip lines. My wife fishes a BIIx 8'6" 5 wt. for dry flies. She likes the BIIx casting action, so I'll likely go with another BIIx in 9'0" 6 wt. for her. I fish a Sage Z-Axis 9'0" 5 wt. and for smaller fish, a Sage ZXL 7'6" 4 wt. There's no doubt that the Z-Axis has plenty of power. However, the ZXL has a nicer casting stroke for me (at least in the 4 wt.). So, I'm not sure if I should go with a ZXL 6 wt. or a Z-Axis 6 wt. (or something else?). The New Jersey Fly Fishing show is coming up this weekend, so the time for me to buy is fast approaching.

Any ideas?
Old 01-21-2009, 08:28 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need 6 wt. rod recommendation

The BIIx 6 weight is a sweet rod! Do you not care for it? I know it could be the two of the same rod thing too.
I would say to at least check out a Helios or a Zero. I prefer the Mid Flex tough. The tip is just too crisp for my style.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:52 PM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about

I would go with the ZXL, but thats just me. I think the Z-axis is a little to stiff.

I would test cast them side by side if you could
Old 01-21-2009, 09:33 PM

hardhat is on a distinguished road

Look at the Buelah 5 or 6 wt switch rod. With some luck maybe they will have one at the show to test throw.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:39 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

My wife hasn't fished anything but a Sage 9' ZXL 6wt in the past two months.
I think it's a great rod, but she's ga-ga over it . It really does have a very
nice casting stroke, and we're using SA GPX line. I like the Z-Axis as well, but the ZXL is just a smoother rod....for us
Old 01-22-2009, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

For the big fish, big wind, and big water down there, I'd take a Sage Xi2. Or Scott's S2S 6wt. Very similar rod, I'd recommend trying them side by side if you can.

I think a switch rod would be a great tool as well, but If you're going to stick with a single hander, I'd take one of those two.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:12 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies.

Joni - yes, it is a two of the same rod thing. I do like Marty's BIIx 5 wt. It's really nice rod. But, I'd rather have something different.

KSbrowntrout2 & FrankB2 - the ZXL is what I'm gravitating towards.

BigCliff - I have an Xi2 9 wt. and I don't like it. It's just too stiff for my casting style. I use it for stripers in Maine; throwing good sized Clousers and Deceivers with a sinking tip line and, frankly, I've more or less retired it in favor of a Redington CPS 9'0" 8 wt. (which I think is a really nice rod). Scott has always had some lure for me, but I haven't taken the plunge - yet. I'll have a look at the S2S 6 wt at the show.

Hardhat - I'm sticking with a single hander rod for this trip.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Well there ya go. I suppose I'm guilty of a rod selection mindset fueled by more braun than technique.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:37 AM

hardhat is on a distinguished road
Default Switch rod one or two hander

The beauty of the switch rod is that is a one or two hander. It is not to be confused with a two handed spey rod. The purpose of the switch blank and how it is constructed is completely different than a spey blank.
Also, if you do some research on switch rods you will find out that they have a large grain window for the rods weight. This will offer you the option of throwing several different types and weights of floating and or sinking lines for each rod weight . Switch rods can easily and effectively be used in a variety of fishing situations.

PS Do not forget your sun protection
Old 01-25-2009, 04:49 PM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about

If i had my choice, i would go with the Scott S4. It has a really smooth stroke, very fast, but still has some finesse packed in.

That would be my #1, 6 weight rod choice.

If you got a ZXL, thats a great rod to.

Just my two cents.....