The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2009, 07:34 PM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about
Default Low end winston/Scott

I am looking for a little 3 weight, i was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Scott A3, or the Winston Vapor or Ascent.

I am looking for a back up 3 weight around 7 or 7 1/2 feet

Thanks for the help
Old 01-22-2009, 08:13 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of
Default Re: Low end winston/Scott

I just bought my wife a winston ascent and she really likes it, I got her a 9' 5wt its a little heavy for her she likes an 8' rod better, but anyway she really likes the rod
Old 01-23-2009, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Those two Winstons are suprisingly stiff, and I don't think that action makes sense for a short 3wt. I'd stick with the Scott, or look into their older a2 series (disc=deal) or TFO's Finesse series.

There's also always a glass rod from Steffen Bros....

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:18 PM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about

thanks, i just heard the same thing froma local fly shop
Old 01-23-2009, 06:00 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Those two Winstons are suprisingly stiff, and I don't think that action makes sense for a short 3wt. I'd stick with the Scott, or look into their older a2 series (disc=deal) or TFO's Finesse series.

There's also always a glass rod from Steffen Bros....
You said "Steffan Brothers"
Old 01-26-2009, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
You said "Steffan Brothers"
I'll have one of their's or some other great glass rod someday. Would already have a diamondglass if it weren't for DB's financial woes and the fact that an Avid goes for about 1/2 the price. What do you know about Steffan's warranty coverage?

Old 01-26-2009, 10:31 AM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up Re: Low end winston/Scott

Cliff ----- From Steffen website,

Here at Steffen Brothers Fly Rod Company we pride ourselves on High Standards and incorporate these standards into each and every rod and that is why we offer a 100% lifetime guarantee against workmanship and defects for every rod.
Any accidental breakage will be repaired for a reasonable charge. We make every attempt to satisfy our customers 100%.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:25 PM

well...i still havent made up my mind...I was looking at a scott G 2 weight, but that fell through....

SO im still on the hunt for a small stream rod....Id like to test cast the winston ascent, as i heard the feel was a little better than the vapor...Im still lookin gat th scott A2 as well....if i can find a good deal on the internet, ill probably go with that

If you have any other sugestions, im completely open to new ideas
Old 02-17-2009, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by imxer View Post
Cliff ----- From Steffen website,

Here at Steffen Brothers Fly Rod Company we pride ourselves on High Standards and incorporate these standards into each and every rod and that is why we offer a 100% lifetime guarantee against workmanship and defects for every rod.
Any accidental breakage will be repaired for a reasonable charge. We make every attempt to satisfy our customers 100%.
I saw that and while it sounds great, these economic times prevent me from assuming any small company is going to be around forever. That and the fact that its actually just one guy doing the rod building there, and that he doesn't look like he's around age 25.

That said, the current fiberglass renaissance is bound to make their survival much more likely, and the fact that rod builders tend to keep at it into their later years likely makes the warranty quite lengthy and real. They're also not depending on a low-cost Asian factory for their production.

I'll probably get one of their 7'6" 3 or 4wts before too long.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:40 PM

mhclayton is on a distinguished road

I don't know about the A3, but the A2 is closer to the fast end of the medium-fast spectrum of rod action. Consider the St. Croix Avid. I wonder about the Loomis Xperience rods, billed as medium-fast which in a Loomis is probably really a medium-fast action-- about $265. I love my Scott A2 4 weight, recently acquired at a close-out price. I have been using it this winter on the medium-size river I like to fish during the cold weather months with good results.