The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2009, 11:47 PM

nicketheflyfisherman is on a distinguished road
Default Sage Fli or Launch~

Hello there! Which rod do prefer of Sage Fli and Sage Launch wt5? Curious because I have found two pretty good deal on each rod, if you own either of the rods, I would be interested to know what you think, pros and cons (if any.). Thanks!
Old 01-23-2009, 11:50 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice
Default Re: Sage Fli or Launch~

Both good rods, the Fli is designed to be a little faster action. If it is the new model Flight that you are looking at (the model that replaced the Fli), I could give you quite a bit more input as I have cast it quite a bit recently and compared it to other rods. Sage is a great rod company and MADE IN THE USA!
Old 01-24-2009, 06:45 AM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

I have a sage fli 8'6" 5wt and it cast really nice i bought mine used several years ago and have never had a problem. I have never tried a 5wt launch.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:51 AM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough

I have an 8 wt Launch and bought my wife a 4 wt. I cast both the Launch and Fli rods. I felt the Launch was smoother casting and a little lighter. I was able to put out as much line with the Launch. I also had better luck casting it in close. Having not fished an Fli, I can't really comment there. However, the Launch has done a very good job for me. I've been pleased with how easily I could detect light strikes and pick-ups. And I can't honestly say I've lost any fish because of the Launch rods.
BTW, given the closeout pricing on the Fli, I could have gotten it them for $9. more. I chose the "less expensive" rods.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:25 PM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough

I have a 9' 5wt. 4 piece fli; a 9 1/2' 6 wt 4 piece fli and my brother fishes an 8 1/2' 5 wt Launch. The Fli's are a little faster than the Launch. Obviously, I like 'em or I wouldn't have two. I use WF floating line and sink tip lines on both. The only time I have a little problem is when I'm fishing with droppers; if I get the loops too tight (because of the faster action) I may snag the dropper onto the line. And, that's not the rods fault.

I liked them and thought they were worth the $300. Since they're (Fli) is being replaced with the Flight, there should be some great buys on Fli's out there.
Old 01-24-2009, 04:34 PM

nicketheflyfisherman is on a distinguished road

Okay, I seee. Thanks for the input, greatly appreciated!! So for me as I am pretty new to fly fishing the Launch would be the better fit?
Old 01-24-2009, 10:45 PM

Benford is on a distinguished road

I bought an Fli because the shop I was in was selling them for $171...no joke...who wouldn't buy one!?!? haha

It's a 9ft 4wt and I love it, mainly because it's a four-piece, has the Sage warranty....and although it's classified as a fast action it's slower than typical 'fast action' rods. It casts well and it pretty easy on light tippets.

I have never tried a launch, but being a Sage and my experience being good with them so far, I'd say you're good with either. Get what's cheaper! haha
Old 01-24-2009, 11:14 PM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough

the Launch might be a little easier for a beginner to develop the casting rhythmn....don't know for sure. And I THINK I read somewhere on here earlier in the year, that the Launch and maybe Fli are made outside the U.S. But, that wasn't a critical thing in my decision to buy.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:18 AM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough

I have 2 FLi's, a 7ft 3wt 4pc and a 9ft 4wt 4pc. I love them. They are great rods and I picked them up for 125 each. Couldnt be happier.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:45 PM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about

I think you would be better off with the launch at the start...a little smoother, and a little more forgiving.

And to clarify, as of 2009 all sage rods are made in USA