The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2009, 09:03 PM

fishinfool145 is on a distinguished road
Default How do the different warrenties stack up?

Hi all

I'm new to fly fishing. I hired a guide last fall to fish the Provo in Utah and really enjoyed it. I recently purchased a new Lamson Velocity 2 reel and now I'm turning my attention to rods.

I've been an avid Bass fisherman for years (don't hold that against me!) and I have a boat full of Gloomis rods. One of the reasons that I've stuck with Loomis is the warrenty program. When I break a rod (not if) it is usually because I did something stupid. I have no doubt that I will break my fly rod at some point as well.

The Gloomis warrenty process is to go on line and order a replacement rod. Give them a credit card. They ship a new rod. You take out the new rod, put the pieces of your old rod back in, attach the preprinted label and in the end, they charge you $50. No questions asked. If you broke the rod because of a defect, it is a free replacment, but so far, I haven't had any defects...

So, from what I can tell, there are many high quality manufactures of fly rods(I haven't figured out who they all are yet). With the exception of loomis, all of these manufactures are new to me. Who has a warrenty process that stacks up to loomis? Of course I'm looking for a quality rod.

Thanks
Old 01-28-2009, 10:03 PM

MikeG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: How do the different warrenties stack up?

I personally like St. Croix's warranty.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:14 AM

RayMO is on a distinguished road

You may look at Orvis they also have a very good warrenty...
Old 01-29-2009, 07:32 AM

Cooler00 is on a distinguished road

Hi Fishinfool,

This has been discussed/debated quite a bit on this and other forums. It seems to me that the market is competitive enough that most reputable rod manufacturers stand behind their product and at worst aren't to much more difficult to deal with than how you describe your dealings with Gloomis. My guess is that in most cases you're paying up front for the warranty with the initial cost of the rod.

Scott
Old 01-29-2009, 08:04 AM

ab4usa is on a distinguished road

I'll second the St Croix warranty and their rods. Oddly enough I have my 4 and 5 weight mated to Lamson Velocity reels and they balance nicely.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:50 AM

GRN will become famous soon enough

I have processed a lot of warranty claims through Sage... not one was really a defect in the rod, 99% were due to defective users (including me! ). Many of these rods had been clearly abused, and every claim has gone through with no questions asked. As previously stated, with the premium rods you pay for it up front.

I know folks in other shops have had friction with most of the less expensive product lines, except Echo - they seem to do it right. They even replaced a practice rod that my wife and daughter broke being foolish... my daughter caught a 120# mommy fish... mommy fish won!

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford
Old 01-29-2009, 09:01 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I believe Loomis is the only company that doesn't use a warranty-card system, so if you sell a Loomis rod whoever buys it owns the warranty, no questions asked.

Randy
Old 01-29-2009, 09:06 AM

GRN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
I believe Loomis is the only company that doesn't use a warranty-card system, so if you sell a Loomis rod whoever buys it owns the warranty, no questions asked.

Randy
Honestly, I think Winston and T&T are the only ones who pay much attention to the 'registered' detail... I know Sage and Diamondback let a lot go through, and from what I hear so does Scott.

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford
Old 01-29-2009, 11:11 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I believe in 'personal responsibility' and don't even consider the warranty.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:03 PM

fishinfool145 is on a distinguished road

A lot of good info here. As several have said, when buying a premium rod, you probably pay for the replacement up front. Makes you wonder about the mark up? It seems that all of the premium rod builders are pretty good about claims.

It's good to know that if I spend the $$$ for a good rod, the manufactures, whoever they may be, are good with replacments. It doesn't sound like any are quite as easy as loomis though. Hmm.. Time to go shopping.

Thanks to everyone.