The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2010, 01:58 AM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light
Default I Gots Me A New 8 Weight!

So, Black Friday sales paid off for me today in the form of a new 8 weight fly rod, albeit not a really super good one, but hey i'll take it. I got it from Bass Pro today it's a new rod they put out just for the sale today, a Bugger fly rod.. I felt it and it's not half bad, for the magical price of TWENTY DOLLARS... they also had a five weight available that I almost got but I already have a six and there wasn't enough difference for me to justify it..Had it been a four I would have been taking it home.

If anyone is looking for a new spare cheap replacement rod for any reason I would check out your local Bass Pro.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:28 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I Gots Me A New 8 Weight!

I'm sure that you'll easily get your money's worth out of that rod.
I have four 8wts and the 10' IM6 that I paid $25 for (Sportsman's Guide) is my main rod for surf fishing.
I get a lot of satisfaction knowing that I can fish that rod as well (or better) as others that are out there flaying away with their high priced sticks
Old 11-27-2010, 03:29 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I'm sure that you'll easily get your money's worth out of that rod.
I have four 8wts and the 10' IM6 that I paid $25 for (Sportsman's Guide) is my main rod for surf fishing.
I get a lot of satisfaction knowing that I can fish that rod as well (or better) as others that are out there flaying away with their high priced sticks
You know I may be out of line here, but me being me, I don't care. Why is it certain individuals, all over the Internet fishing forums (the ones who b1tch about the elitism of fly fisher's) always zero in on folks that have high priced premium fly outfits. They brag about being able to out fish the "Orvis Dorks" with the $20 outfit they got on sale, or as in this case, Rip Tide's satisfaction comment. Do you guys lack in other departments in life, that you always bring up comments like this? Is it jealousy, or trailer park upbringing.
I have very seldom read posts about people (or conversed with them) that have upper end gear, that rail, brag, or even give a **** about what the other guy fishes with. Never have I been fishing, where someone I'm with looks at, mentions, or comments on another guys outfit. Just seems like the real elitists are just the opposite of the ones getting the bad rap. This, I had to get off my chest.
Sorry to get off track, and it's cool you got a new stick and good luck with it. (No matter what it costs).
Old 11-27-2010, 05:50 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

It's always nice to see someone get an item that doesn't break the wallet, so enjoy.... !!!

I see both sides of the price issue. There has been a huge price increase in mainstream rods over the past 10 years, and the local shop doesn't have anything under $200. 10 years ago, I thought the $80 St. Croix Premier fly rod I bought signaled that I had arrived. While my wife and I have Sage's premier rods now, we never tell people the price: they'd think we were nuts, or simply braggards. I do remind my wife about the price when she takes chancing wading, trying to break a snag free, etc. I do run into newbies with new rods ($30-$50 stuff), and when I offer to help them with their casting, I'm amazed that they can use some really awful gear. That doesn't mean all low-priced stuff is awful, but I've used enough of it to appreciate the big and small differences with top end rods.

One thing I wouldn't do is puchase fishing gear on credit. I don't purchase anything on credit, and wouldn't be able to enjoy it if I did. So buy within your means, and whatever makes you enjoy fishing.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:04 PM

boser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura about

frankb, said it well, buy within your means and enjoy fishing....congrats on the new stick.

Boser
Old 11-27-2010, 07:47 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
You know I may be out of line here, but me being me, I don't care. Why is it certain individuals, all over the Internet fishing forums (the ones who b1tch about the elitism of fly fisher's) always zero in on folks that have high priced premium fly outfits. They brag about being able to out fish the "Orvis Dorks" with the $20 outfit they got on sale, or as in this case, Rip Tide's satisfaction comment. Do you guys lack in other departments in life, that you always bring up comments like this? Is it jealousy, or trailer park upbringing.
I have very seldom read posts about people (or conversed with them) that have upper end gear, that rail, brag, or even give a **** about what the other guy fishes with. Never have I been fishing, where someone I'm with looks at, mentions, or comments on another guys outfit. Just seems like the real elitists are just the opposite of the ones getting the bad rap. This, I had to get off my chest.
Sorry to get off track, and it's cool you got a new stick and good luck with it. (No matter what it costs).
Touch a button Mojo ??
WTF difference is it to you how I get my jollies ??
I enjoy the fishing the way I do and I don't rub anyone's nose in.
On these pages, I don't ever comment about what gear people use or what they should buy even though I have my (often vastly different)opinions.(Why do you have such a problem with Albright by the way ?).
You seem to have personal issues with people that are different than yourself. Leave me out of it.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:06 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
On these pages, I don't ever comment about what gear people use or what they should buy......
What about the last post on the bottom of this page?: CLICK HERE....
Old 11-28-2010, 12:39 AM

got me Frank

Don't you need to remind us all that you fish with a Sage.?..... again ?
Old 11-28-2010, 12:49 AM

I've worked my way up from a sub $20 no name rod 35 years ago, to a Sage today. What's the problem with that? I also fished with a stick and a 12 foot
leader a couple years ago while visiting Jr at Dover AFB:

Click the image to open in full size.

I had my vest, but forgot my rods! It's all good, but for some one thing is better than another, and sometimes you have to get by with a good old fashioned stick. I've wanted to show that stick pic for a long time, but needed to loose the weight first.... There aren't any fly anglers near my house, so I'm not fishing a Sage for the style factor. I'm one of those John Gierach characters that has a car (Jeep in my case) that cost less than one rod and reel....REALLY! I'm proud of going cheap on the Jeep, but it was more of a good find, than it is a piece of junk: runs 100%.

P.S. I was HUGE in that photo! I could have bought two Sages for my monthly grocery bill...
Old 11-28-2010, 12:57 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Touch a button Mojo ??
WTF difference is it to you how I get my jollies ??
Quote:
got me Frank

Don't you need to remind us all that you fish with a Sage.?..... again ?

On these pages, I don't ever comment about what gear people use or what they should buy even though I have my (often vastly different)opinions.(Why do you have such a problem with Albright by the way ?).
You seem to have personal issues with people that are different than yourself. Leave me out of it.
Yea you touched a button. I guess I touched one of yours too.
But I don't go around saying, "I get a lot of satisfaction knowing that I can fish my Winston/ Sage/ Loomis as well (or better) as others that are out there flaying away with their cheap $20 sticks." If I posted that, you tell me what would have gone down. Nothing short of a firestorm.
I've said before, that I don't give a rats arse what anyone fishes with Even an Albright. (my problem with Albright? I just want to warn people what their in for if they happen to break a rod) Cousin owned 2 Albrights. Doesn't anymore. And why do you care what I think about Albright anyway.
I have no problem with people different than myself. I don't know where you get that from.
What's funny is, I've aways respected your opinions and expertise (not often agreeing with them). I just don't care for what you wrote in your first post, and said my piece.