The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2009, 11:27 AM

shouldofbeenhereyesterday is on a distinguished road
Default New Rod

For years I have purchased less expensive rods, however this spring I'm planning on splurging a little for a new 6 wt. Dollar amount will be in the $300 range. Most fishing is tailwater with an occasional trip to smaller streams, and my casting skills are average. I do plan on getting out and trying a few different rods to find the feel that suits me best. One rod on my list now is the Sage Flight 690. I would appreciate comments, reviews, and other recommendations.
Thanks,
Andy
Old 02-03-2009, 12:20 PM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New Rod

Hi,
I have two of the Sages; a 9 1/2 ft 6wt and a 9' 5 wt. - both 4 piece. I like them a lot, obviously, but they are both faster action rods. I hadn't used faster action rods previously and it took me a little while to get used to the casting stroke but once I did, it was fine. I tried both 5 wt line and 6 wt line on the 5 wt rod. Thought the 6 wt. might make it load up a little easier and it does although on a long day of fishing I find my arm gets pretty tired. Guess it's the extra muscle required to stop and start the rod movement.

As I said, they're really nice rods but you might also want to try something a little slower. I'm thinking the Winston Vapor although I've never actually cast one.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Yesterday,

I LOVE your user name!

If I had a dollar for every time I've been told that, I could buy a new reel today!

Cudo's on a great choice

Ard
Old 02-03-2009, 03:43 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

If Sage is already on your list why look any further?
Bear
Old 02-03-2009, 07:20 PM

Thanks folks for the replies. Does anyone have experience with both Sage Launch and FLi series. If so, what are big differences?
Andy
Old 02-03-2009, 07:28 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

I fish a luanch 9' 4wt alot and like it, the FLI is a little faster rod, wich I normaly like a faster rod, but the slow easy casting rythem is good some times when I'm in a mellow mood.
The new Sage Flight is also a really good rod it is replacing the FLI.
Bear
Old 02-06-2009, 10:23 AM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough

I own a Launch 5 weight and a Fli 6 weight (the older version of the Flight). While the Fli is quite a bit faster, they are both great rods for under $400. I fish the Launch primarily with dry flies and on small to medium sized waters and use the Fli for nymphing and streamers. You can pick up some closeout Fli series online for between $175 and $200 if you do some searching. I am not sure exactly what changes were made in the new Flight series, but it might be worth the savings.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:01 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Someone posted their experience casting both the Z-Axis and Sage Flight
rods recently. He said they were very close, with the big difference being
the components. It seems the Flight is made in the USA, so the price is right!

I haven't fished the Flight, but have fished the Z-Axis and Fli in 9' 6wt. The
Fli seems more suited to a 7wt line, and the Z-Axis transmits more feel to
my hands. I actually bought the Fli, but returned it. I would say
the biggest difference between the Fli and Z-Axis is that the Z-Axis has more
action in the tip section. If the same holds true for the Flight, I'd recommend
that rod.

Being able to try these rods on the water can be a real bonus in making
your decision. I bought mine from a store that has a return policy.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

If you're fishing small streams, I would think you'd only want a 6wt if you're throwing bass flies or large streamers. Otherwise I would go with a 5wt, and one that is softish or shorter would be a good way to go. That brings up the TFO Finesse 7'9" 5wt, StCroix's Avid 8' 5wt, or a Diamondglass 8' 5wt. TFO makes a short fiberglass 5wt in their Finesse series as well. I expect them to have warranty coverage longer than Diamondglass, FWIW.

Oh, nevermind, just saw that tailwaters are primary. Do whatcha like.

I'll sell ya a Beulah Guide Series 6wt for $100 if you're interested. I need a 7wt more. Beulah Fly Rods - Fly Rods, Switch Rods, Oregon, Fly Fishing, Spey Rods In great shape and comes with a spare tip, cordura tube and great warranty.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:22 PM

Cliff, how does the action of the Beulah Guide Series 6wt compare to the Launch or Flight series?
Andy