The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2010, 12:31 PM

fishalong is a glorious beacon of lightfishalong is a glorious beacon of lightfishalong is a glorious beacon of lightfishalong is a glorious beacon of lightfishalong is a glorious beacon of light
Default Broke the tip off a Helios Orvis Rod

I was fishing with my dad out near quake lake yesterday and he was clearing the ice from the tip of his rod and it just snapped. I laughed because he just got it back from snapping the the same tip. Probably negative 5 windchill so it was cold. I think I am going to cut off a piece of an old Croakies sunglass holder and put it on the end of my rod next time I head out (maybe it will work).

my point. Rod tips snap easy in winter, so be careful.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Broke the tip off a Helios Orvis Rod

I will put the "Broken Rod Poll" up for you, you'll see what I mean in a few minutes.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-02-2010, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think it's possible that as rods become faster and faster that the material used becomes more brittle? hence it would snap easier in colder weather.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 12-31-2010, 07:39 AM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

not really, but as they get lighter and lighter, they get weaker and weaker. They are using the latest technology in bonding agents and resins in that rod. These are MUCH stronger than those used in the past, this allows them to make the blanks thinner and thinner, hence the light weight. Light weight = light strength any way you slice it. Not a bad thing per say...that's what the 25 year warranty is for. Keep in mind that 3m has made this technology available to all makers, so this isnt just an Orvis thing. We will see some very light rods in 2011 coming from all of the big shops.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:03 AM

Ian Mann 4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by db cooper View Post
not really, but as they get lighter and lighter, they get weaker and weaker. They are using the latest technology in bonding agents and resins in that rod. These are MUCH stronger than those used in the past, this allows them to make the blanks thinner and thinner, hence the light weight. Light weight = light strength any way you slice it. Not a bad thing per say...that's what the 25 year warranty is for. Keep in mind that 3m has made this technology available to all makers, so this isnt just an Orvis thing. We will see some very light rods in 2011 coming from all of the big shops.
The Orvis Helios does not use the same 3M technology as seen in rods such as G Loomis NRX or Hardy Sintrix or Galloup's St Croix rod.

I agree that they are lighter, stronger, and have a great warranty but just wanted to point out that the Helios is not the same. 3M Matrix Resin 3831 is different to the Orvis patented high temperature cure thermoplastic resin used in the Helios.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:08 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_e View Post
The Orvis Helios does not use the same 3M technology as seen in rods such as G Loomis NRX or Hardy Sintrix or Galloup's St Croix rod.

I agree that they are lighter, stronger, and have a great warranty but just wanted to point out that the Helios is not the same. 3M Matrix Resin 3831 is different to the Orvis patented high temperature cure thermoplastic resin used in the Helios.
Here's a Hardy Sintrex rod test. A 10-7 Sintrex is doubled over beyond a U and does not blow. The new 3M resins (and Hardy had their own tweaked version of it) are unreal. One of my buddies at Hardy has already landed a 150 pound Hammerhead with a 9 foot 8 weight.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:27 PM

bjweller has a spectacular aura aboutbjweller has a spectacular aura about

I'm just impressed that you are fishing Quake Lake at this time of year. Won't complain so much about fishing in 20 degree weather last week.

"There comes a time in every man's life when he is either going to go fishing or do something worse."

-Havilah Babcock
Old 01-03-2011, 07:26 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjweller View Post
I'm just impressed that you are fishing Quake Lake at this time of year. Won't complain so much about fishing in 20 degree weather last week.
He said near Quake, which i would think would be the Maddy.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:44 PM

hardhat is on a distinguished road

Rod makers continue to discovered many different methods to increase modulus so as to make lighter thinner blanks. Their goal is to make a particular performance rod with durability and strength. There always seems to be a new better generstion of products or manufacturing processes. Will the 3M technology now being used in rod making be the answer. Who knows, many people still enjoy the older and durable IM6 blanks.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:01 PM

ddombos2 will become famous soon enoughddombos2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to ddombos2 Send a message via Skype™ to ddombos2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishalong View Post
I was fishing with my dad out near quake lake yesterday and he was clearing the ice from the tip of his rod and it just snapped. I laughed because he just got it back from snapping the the same tip. Probably negative 5 windchill so it was cold. I think I am going to cut off a piece of an old Croakies sunglass holder and put it on the end of my rod next time I head out (maybe it will work).

my point. Rod tips snap easy in winter, so be careful.
I wonder whether the thermoplastic resins are more susceptible to becoming brittle in cold weather. Their properties are more temperature dependent than epoxy resins in terms of high temperature. I wonder if the same us true in the cold. Any material science folks in the audience.

In fairness, seems that any graphite rods would become more brittle at extremely cold temps. How much did he have it flexed to do his ice clearing?