The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2009, 08:36 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Albright A5 vs. Cortland Brook -- 5 weight

Mojo
I didn't post that link to give that guy any credence
I only wanted to point out that with the A-5 you get a lot of rod for $139
Old 02-12-2009, 11:24 AM

FlyDog is on a distinguished road

I also have a 8' 4wt. Brook lined with Rio Gold Line.
A real joy to fish on smaller streams and rivers.
The rod tube also accomadates your reel.
Great rod at a great price.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:15 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Mojo
I didn't post that link to give that guy any credence
I only wanted to point out that with the A-5 you get a lot of rod for $139
RT, I understand that, but, so far Dorian is the only one that seems to have one and fishes with it. (Albright)
I just don't put much faith in "tests" like Anderson did.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:24 AM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
RT, I understand that, but, so far Dorian is the only one that seems to have one and fishes with it. (Albright)
I just don't put much faith in "tests" like Anderson did.
I have a 9', 4 wt A5. I haven't tried it in a gym but, outside I've been very impressed with it.

Unfortunately by the time I got around to buying the A5, the fish in my pond were hunkered down for the winter, and I haven't gotten to try it stream fishing as yet. I can say this, it casts very well, and is lightweight with good balance using my Ross Rhythm #1.5 reel.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:35 PM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about

I agree with mojo, if you gave us some more fishing info, we would probably be able to give better advice.

With that said, I have a cortland brook 7 foot 3 weight that i am very happy with.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:10 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq 5oh View Post
I have a 9', 4 wt A5. I haven't tried it in a gym but, outside I've been very impressed with it.

Unfortunately by the time I got around to buying the A5, the fish in my pond were hunkered down for the winter, and I haven't gotten to try it stream fishing as yet. I can say this, it casts very well, and is lightweight with good balance using my Ross Rhythm #1.5 reel.
I would like to explain/express my thinking here.
George Anderson has a magazine publish a few of his "shootouts" throughout the years and he and his crew rates these rods. They go from low budget to high budget. I think he also sells most of the rods he "tests".
Renting a gym is like parking lot/lawn casting a rod, only worse-no wind, no trees, not auto's, no Arby's. No telling how a rod will really perform on water.
I truly believe you can't wiggle a rod in a store and tell if it's going to be a great rod. You can't go to a parking lot or lawn cast one and get a feel like it's going to be a great rod either.
You might be able to tell a few things by doing either (how it balances out, how it fits your casting style, etc), but the real test comes on the water. Where you use your reel and your line.
In parking lot and lawn casting, 95% of the casters are trying to kick the line out as far as they can.
Stream or river fishing you're targeting something on moving water. Accuracy is the key here and almost no one will parking lot cast a rod to curve around the Hummer in the first row.

That's why Dorian's post would mean more to me than pdq's (no offense man, it's just a comparison)
Dorian fished it, pdq's just "lawn" cast it
But pdq likes the way it casts outside, and hopefully it'll measure up to his expectations. Most of the guys here seem to lean to the Cortland. Try to fish both if you can.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:48 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know George Anderson, but I have read his Shootouts. I would
have to guess that owning a fly shop, being an angler, and selling many of
the rods tested would give George a good idea of what to expect on the
water. His tests look for accuracy over 3 distance points, and ease of casting. He doesn't seem to indicate that one rod would fish better than the
others, but I suppose that my be implicit in the accuracy report. Anderson
does state that the Winston has been their top seller for a few years, and
that speaks volumes.

Having said that, I never found a rod that felt the same on the water as
in the backyard. I maybe I should qualify that statement, as I have cast
rods that felt like dogs in the backyard, and they still felt like dogs on the
water.....unless I catch a fish.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:02 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Okay...I had a chance to fish the Sage ZXL 6wt I bought a few
months ago this afternoon. The one thing that really stands out when fishing
the ZXL, is its ability to lay a line down as gentle as a feather. George Anderson's test do not reflect this sort of essential info. I have fished a 5wt
Z-Axis, and its power makes laying a line down gently much more difficult than
the ZXL. The ZXL does it without even trying!

Try 'em on the water if possible, and buy from someone that has a generous
return policy. I hate to say this, but the big box stores can often be better
in this area. If I were stuck with the Z-Axis, I'd be pretty disappointed....
Old 02-18-2009, 08:33 PM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough

mojo, not offended. I did cast it on water (my pond), just no fish taking. The A5 lifts the line off the water quite well, and lays it down as softly as I'm capable of. As soon as the weather cooperates, I'll let you all know how it handles the browns around here..............hopefully the big ones.