The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2009, 11:47 AM

glyeakley is on a distinguished road
Default Albright A5 vs. Cortland Brook -- 5 weight

Hi, I'm new to the forum, and fairly new to fly-fishing, and need some advice. I'm looking to buy a nice fly rod with medium to medium-fast action, something that wouldn't be too hard for a relative novice to handle, and I think I've narrowed down my search. Can anyone give me some advice on which would be a better rod for small stream fishing for someone of my somewhat limited skills -- the Albright A5 or the Cortland Brook? I appreciate any advice I can get. Greg
Old 02-11-2009, 12:00 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Albright A5 vs. Cortland Brook -- 5 weight

Check out what they have to say about the A-5 in this article
Might help you make up your mind

Fly 5wt Rod Comparison
Quote:
Here’s the big surprise of the test. Well, its no surprise to me since I always knew that this Jim Murphy designed rod was a winner. These rods are built in Korea, which helps to keep the cost down. Jim has used top shelf, high modulus graphite to get the wonderful actions and light tips that make for a great casting tool.

If you look at the performance categories, you’ll see that this rod outperformed (by a wide margin) both the Orvis Zero Gravity and the Thomas and Thomas HE, both $640-$650 rods! That’s huge.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:32 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

I own an A5 5 wt. and have really liked it. It is a medium fast action. I would recommend it. I have no experience with the Brook series but have heard good things.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:43 PM

nittspike is on a distinguished road

I purchased a Brook 8' 4wt last spring after just getting back into fly fishing. I really like the rod a lot. It handles weighted nymphs with droppers and indicators, streamers, and weighted buggers, very well. It really shines with with tiny dries and I had a blast casting small ants and midges all summer long. Most of the fish I caught were in the 10" to 12" size but managed a few 14-16" and the rod handled those very well. I fish mainly small to mid size streams but there are some places where i had to get to 40+ft and it took some effort to get the fly there which is the only small complaint I have. But again I don't think that is what the rod is designed to do. IMO it is medium action rod and a joy to fish. I am however contemplating a more faster stiffer action rod to compliment the Brook to use on larger waters and in rougher conditions.

I did see some Brooks on Ebay in the $120-$140 range so you can get a deal if want. I also know Colton makes a nice 4-5wt rod that might fit in your budget as well as reels that are getting good reviews $50 on Ebay right now.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:49 PM

glyeakley is on a distinguished road

Wow, this is a great response. Thanks everyone, but now I've got another problem. The Colton sounds like it might be a good choice as well. If anyone knows anything about them I'd appreciate hearing that as well. A google search for reviews didn't seem to turn up anything helpful.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:14 PM

nittspike is on a distinguished road

Colton is small co located in the nth east PA. I came acorss them in my local shop in DE. They are small and relatively new and it seems were more geared towards the salt water crowd but he does have a line of freshwater. More word of mouth type thing. If you search on this site there are couple of mentions. They are starting to get some play in the PA flyfish area (Pennsylvania Fly Fishing - Pennsylvania Fly Fishing for Trout & Bass) for the quality of the reel and low cost.

Honestly I think the Brook would suit you fine add the Colton real ($50 ebay) and your talking @ $300 for all ( rod, reel, line, leader, tippets etc)
Old 02-11-2009, 07:39 PM
DaveP63 is on a distinguished road

I have been very impressed with Albright products...Very good for the money.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:52 PM

Ronnie z is on a distinguished road

Albright makes a nice rod,it fishes well and the best part its unbelievably inexpensive.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:55 PM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about

I had never heard of the Colton rods & reels before reading this thread. I checked them out and they look interesting. One of the things that is interesting is that the freshwater series of rods comes with an extra rod tip. That isn't something you see everyday. I am in the market for a new 5wt and this is now on my ever increasing list of possibles.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:25 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Check out what they have to say about the A-5 in this article
Might help you make up your mind

Fly 5wt Rod Comparison
I don't trust his comparisons. First of all, who fishes in a gym? It would have been a fair test if they would have done the tests out of doors or on the water. Makes a big difference.

Try the Albright, try the Cortland.
How much do you want to spend, and how long have you been fly fishing, and with what so far.