The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2009, 12:34 PM

Pavel will become famous soon enough
Default 8'6" or 9' 5 weight?

I have a 2 piece 9', 6 weight for smallmouth fishing and I have a 4 piece 9', 4 weight for fishing for browns. I am looking at getting a 4 piece rod or more, 5 weight for travelling on my upcoming trips planned over the next couple years for trout in Montana and Pennsylvania. Also I will use it for fishing with small streamers in the fall and bigger nymphs. Any recomendations on if I should get a 8'6" or a 9' rod(what is the 6" difference for?), and any rod recomendations in regards to brand would be great. Price range $200-$330 roughly.

Thank you in advance,

Pavel
Old 02-12-2009, 01:18 PM

HookEmHorns will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 8'6" or 9' 5 weight?

I'm not exactly sure what the extra 6 inches of fly rod would do for you, other than keep it shorter for easier travel for you. I don't think that you would really notice much difference in the two rods either way.
As for a good rod, I found this link to Fly Rod Reviews. Maybe you could see some different reviews of general rod types and help make your mind up. The site also has some general pricing on there too, so you can make sure you are in your price range.
As far as a specific brand, I'm not sure, but I know that a lot of people on here use Sage rods, and I have not ever heard a bad thing about them.
Hope that helps!

HookEmHorns
Old 02-12-2009, 01:39 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

I like 9 footers myself, unless I am fishing small streams with lots of trees and high grass. The extra 6" seems to keep my back cast a little higher and help me cast a bit further, but it could just be me.
Bear
Old 02-12-2009, 01:50 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm....The only difference I notice between my 8'6" and 9' 5wt's is that
the shorter rods can sometimes feel lighter when casting. I depends largely on the
rod brand/model, however.

I owned a 9' St. Croix Avid 5wt, and a 8'6" St. Croix Legend Ultra 5wt at the same time. The Legend Ultra not only felt MUCH lighter, it cast further as
well. I would recommend the 8'6" Legend Ultra in that price bracket. It's
not too stiff, well made, and just casts really well.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Generally speaking, a 9' rod works better for nymphing (better reach, mending, hook setting power) and a 8'6" rod works better for dry flies (shorter rod= greater accuracy) That said, you'll find plenty of folks that swear that they're more accurate with their favorite 9' rod, or that can fish nymphs better with a 8'6" rod.

Since you're used to 9' rods, a 8'6" will likely feel short, but it might be nice to have a shorter option when fishing more wooded streams.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:45 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Pavel,
In reading your post again, I noticed that you plan to fish in PA and Montana.
Here's a link to FF'ing guide and author, Eric Stroup: CLICK HERE
I've met Eric a couple of times, and he's a really nice guy. He guides
in Pennsylvania and Montana, so he should be able to give you some good
advice.