The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2009, 06:46 PM

MVFLY is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 9wt. Rod selection

Thanks Frank. I bought the Sage VT2 at the end of our season after testing a few higher end rods at the dealer's lot. Got it for a good price. Haven't even had it on the water yet. I just could not justify spending 700+ for a rod that I did not perform better with. I'm not unhappy with my accuracy or distance, just been wanting something different than my TFO rods that I have been using since I started this whole journey. I just might get another in the 9 wt. if I like the 10wt I bought.
I set up with a 9 and 10wt when I go out (boat). I have the 10 wt. loaded with sinking line (for inshore shoals & rips) and the 9 with intermediate for structure type fishing. I've had good luck with my gear but wonder how I would adapt to a faster action rod, and maybe how a higher end (GRN's recommendation -Xi2) would handle big fish. Thanks again for all the feedback. MVFLY
Old 02-16-2009, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I've got a Scott 9wt HeliPly that I still like very well. It casts long distances with ease, can throw short too, and feeds line out REALLY quick. That said, I don't use it in the surf much.

I think you might be better off focusing on a line that will achieve more distance with the rods you already have. I would look into Airflo's Forty Plus lines, or Rio's Outbound lines. They are both integrated shooting head lines that may give you more benefit than a new rod.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:41 AM

Thanks BigCliff. I was going to put Rio outbound on the new rod. I will try it on my TFO rod. The Rio Outbound has some great qualities over the line I,m using. You confirmed it.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

just for the record, I've never owned or cast one. I'm just telling what I know from what I've read.

Hell, if I owned every product I've ever recommended, I'd be divorced, hungry, and sleeping on it.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:35 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with all the Sage Xi2 recommendations. I have a 9'0" 9 wt. that I use for bonefish and permit in the Southern waters and for stripers in the Northern waters. Great with a sinking tip line. Amazing backbone and good accuracy at a distance. Give it a try. I think you'll like it.

I would also recommend that you consider a 9'0" Loomis Max GLX 8 wt.; overlined with 9 wt. line. A really stiff rod with a good tip that will cut through wind and lift sink tip lines at a distance with very little effort.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:20 PM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about

I dont know if you are even remotely interested, but i have a 9 weight launch i am trying to get off my hands.

Its a 9 foot 4 piece, and has never had a real on it...
Old 02-17-2009, 11:09 AM

Thanks Pocono, I quess I was not clear on my request. I'm not looking for a $700 rod. (i.e. Sage Xi2 or Loomis GLX). I'm looking in the $300 range if I find them better than what I have (TFO Pro and signature series).
Old 02-17-2009, 06:46 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

No MVFLY, you were clear in your message; I just moved the thread a little on you. Sorry.

In the price range that you're looking at, I like the Redington cps rod. I have a 9'0" 4 piece 8 wt. that I bought for smaller bonefish/stripers and it's a really, really nice rod. Unfortunatly, Redington (actually Sage, since Sage now owns Redington) in their infinite or limited wisdom (your choice) has done away with this rod, but has replaced it with the cpx series; which I understand is very similar; just a little bit faster action.

There are some cps rods still for sale at Cabelas and I think that the higher weights were the ones that are still for sale. Prices are in the $150-200 range (for what was a $350 rod). So, if you can get yourself to a Cabelas that has some of these rods left, then it would probably be well worth your while to give them a test drive.

Anyway, I hope you get the rod that's right for you.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:58 PM

Thanks Pocono, I'll be checking into that. I'm just aching to get a faster action rod to try. Just don't want to drop too much on it until I figure it out.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVFLY View Post
Thanks Pocono, I'll be checking into that. I'm just aching to get a faster action rod to try. Just don't want to drop too much on it until I figure it out.
MVFLY - Check this out for $149.50 (orignially $299). See the chart below the entry for their 9'0" 9 wt. Plenty of backbone for sink-tip lines and simply fun casting with a floating line.

Cabela's -- Redington CPS Fly Rods

As I said, my 9'0" 8 wt. is a charmer.

Happy hunting!