The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2009, 08:36 PM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about
Default Scott G

I am thinking about getting a light lined Scott G for fun.

Anyone have any experience with a scott G?

Whats the diff. between the G and G2?
Old 02-15-2009, 09:03 PM

GRN will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Scott G

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbrowntrout2 View Post

Whats the diff. between the G and G2?
One of the great debates of modern fly rods...

My experience is that the folks (cult) who loved the G, don't like the G2. That always happens... Sage SP folks weren't big SLT fans at first either, they got over it. The SPL an LL followers are still at a total loss The flip side is that folks like me who always found the G to be a little sloppy/weak in recovery and tip heavy, experience deep lust for the G2. It's a little lighter, a tad quicker, and the recovery is what you would expect from a modern graphite rod. Don't get me wrong... both great rods, but I get pretty darned picky about the little stuff when the rods cost that much (and I have to pay retail for them). the 774/4 has been on my short list for a year now... just have to find the right deal. The 773/4 has become the favorite of several light liners I know.

TL's~

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford
Old 02-15-2009, 10:56 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

I tried both this summer side by side. G and G2 are different rods.. Cult is correct.. The fly shop guy that sold me the G was a "There is no better rod out there"...

However, side by side nymphing the G and G2 I would snagg hook 3/4's of the fish with the G and didn't snagg hook any with the G2.

Thus I fell in love with the G2 and am part of the new cult.

If I was purely top water fishing I believe the G is hands down is probably better.. But one rod overall I prefer the G2.

I did try several other Scots's SES,S3,SCS...

Also, a heads up Tie for the G would be (in my opinion) Winston Boron IIX it was really nice and killer rod for top water close in fishing.. You can give that one a try..
Old 02-16-2009, 10:52 PM

GRN will become famous soon enough

Another rod to consider, just to muddy the pool a bit, is the Sage ZXL. I have a 8'6" 4wt BIIx and a 480-4 ZXL... and I go through awful fits of indecision when having to choose between the two... but if I were looking for something similar to the G2, the ZXL would be what I picked up. It's a bit more traditional progressive taper, and wicked smooth with plenty or reserve power. I don't know what wt your considering, but IMO the 8' and 8'6" 4wts are the sweet spot of the taper. If you are looking at lighter weights, I would cast the ZXL and the TXL.

TL's~

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford
Old 02-17-2009, 07:21 AM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about

I decided on a Winston WT....I couldnt find a scott G for the price i wanted, so im going to get a 3 weight WT sometime soon
Old 02-17-2009, 07:37 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbrowntrout2 View Post
I decided on a Winston WT....I couldnt find a scott G for the price i wanted, so im going to get a 3 weight WT sometime soon
Smart move!
Old 02-17-2009, 08:49 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Not to be nosy, but how much were you willing to spend?

This is a great place to find Scott G's, and just about anything else. I want a G, too. I just don't have the money for it....

Home - New & Used Fly Fishing Rods and Reels - www.tradenstuff.com
Old 02-17-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle27 View Post
Not to be nosy, but how much were you willing to spend?

This is a great place to find Scott G's, and just about anything else. I want a G, too. I just don't have the money for it....

Home - New & Used Fly Fishing Rods and Reels - www.tradenstuff.com
Ahh yes, the list.....traden stuff....I think ill buy the rod new though.. i want a good warrenty

Im also considering the LT......any comparisons??
Old 02-17-2009, 07:32 PM

mhclayton is on a distinguished road

I have about a dozen fly rods, and the G2 is the one I prefer for trout fishing, which for me is mostly on top, small to medium size streams. I have never fished a G. I have an 8'8" 5 weight that can do it all, but would love to have a 3 or 4 weight. I was lucky and picked up a new one at a local dealer who was discontinuing his Scott line for about $500. In my parking lot testing, the Sage ZXL was the closest competition, but I liked the funky semi-finished look of the graphite, the close-in accuracy and the price.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:28 PM

BigNick is on a distinguished road

I just bought a Scott G, 8ft 4wt off of ebay and received it in the mail today. It's a beautiful rod, used very little but, now get this, the top tip section, that is the rod between the tip guide and the first guide is wavy. That's right. It has several small bends in it. I'm not sure how the best way to describe it but if you took a long nail and tried to straighten it several times you'd have a pretty good idea of how it looks. No, it has not been repaired. There is no break in the rod and no sign of a repair. Is this something that is normal or common on graphite rods? Has any one ever seen anything like this? I'm stumped. I really like the rod, it's in almost new condition but a tip that looks like a snake(well, it not that bad but you can see it if you look at it.)

Help, Help, Help!