The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2009, 11:51 AM

MVFLY is on a distinguished road
Default TFO Jim Teeny rods

Does anyone have any experience with the Teeny series TRO rods in the 9wt. I'm wondering how much different they are from the TiCr or TiCCrx graphite rods?
Old 02-17-2009, 04:46 PM

MikeG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: TFO Jim Teeny rods

I own a 8 wt Jim Teeny TFO rod.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:38 PM

Hey Mike, You got anything good to say about it? Does it compare to any other rod you own or have tried? Thanks for any feedback.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:25 PM

mhclayton is on a distinguished road

I was interested in them as well-- I like the soft tip, which is my preference for lake fishing, and the price, too.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:34 PM

MikeG will become famous soon enough

The rod is fast action, I learned to cast on fast action rods, that is what I am most comfortable with but I bought it for a salmon rod. Fishing the Lake Michigan Tribs in Southeast Wisconsin, going after salmon, brown trout, and steelhead. Works great for what I use it for and I love the rod. I also use it for throwing large popper out to bass and occasionally pike. Jim Teeny is a big salmon fisher and he seemed to design the rod primarily for that but it can be used in a variety of ways. I have no complaints. It is one of my favorite rods in my arsenal which includes brands such as Orvis, Sage, St. Croix, TFO, and Loop.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

My local Sportsman's Warehouse seemed to have more of these than anything else. Might be because us Texicans haven't heard of the Teeny salmon guru.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:48 AM

For the record, I went out and purchased it, in 9 wt. I had to order it because no one seems to have them on the shelf like to other TFO series rods. But I don't know why. It is less $ than the TiCr and TiCrx. Looks and feels great and is not a club (diameter) in the 9 wt. Flexability seems to be stiffer than the Axiom when you lay them tip down side by side. It shoots sinking line very nicely. I am very pleased with it.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi MVFLY,

Thanks for your impression of the Jim Teeny TFO rod. I have never seen one so didn't know how they were.

Frank

Hey Cliff, you Texicans should get out more.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Frank,
I happen to own a Jim Teeny steelhead video and will gladly show it to all the Texicans interested. (I'm bettin it'll stay dusty.)

I'll keep an eye out on the store and might snap up a Teeny 7wt if they hit 40% off plus. The reviews I've read are pretty positive- prettier than the other TFO's, soft tip, stout butt. Sounds fairly ideal for a fishable meat flinger.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.