The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2009, 09:02 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice
Default New production run of Sage XP's!!!

I just found out that Cabela's struck a deal with Sage to carry the old XP line again for a limited time. They aren't old or overstock, they are new XP's! I have never cast one, but I know a lot of people that swear by them and prefer them to the Z-axis.

Interesting and in my opinion a great marketing tactic.

Anybody gonna get one??
Old 02-18-2009, 10:10 PM

GRN will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New production run of Sage XP's!!!

Probably not... I like the Z-Axis better, and Sage hasn't made them available to the pro channel yet as far as I know. Bring back the SPL and you'll get my attention!

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford
Old 02-19-2009, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

The move pissed off a lot of small shops because now folks will go buy the cheaper XP's at Cabelas instead of buying Z-Axis through the independent shops. So Sage will be helping their bottom line with the move for now, but if it damages their standing with the small shops in the long run, it could be better news for Scott, Winston, and T&T.

And the LL is the rod they need to bring back. They could just offer the 389 and 490 and make LOTS of folks happy.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:53 PM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about

YES!!! THE LL!!!

Im not thrilled that cabelas did this....the XP is ok, but this is going to hurt local fly shops as many have stated......
Old 02-19-2009, 07:42 PM

saltflytyer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
The move pissed off a lot of small shops because now folks will go buy the cheaper XP's at Cabelas instead of buying Z-Axis through the independent shops. So Sage will be helping their bottom line with the move for now, but if it damages their standing with the small shops in the long run, it could be better news for Scott, Winston, and T&T.

And the LL is the rod they need to bring back. They could just offer the 389 and 490 and make LOTS of folks happy.

Funny, since Fenwick used to be the 800 pound gorilla, and now most people say "what is a fenwick????". How did Fenwick lose their dominance? Ignoring the dealers and selling to big box. Where did Sage originate from? Fenwick!!

But this move is a really insignificant one, plus T&T has one foot in the grave and Winston is only doing marginally better. Watch T&T and Abel to not be around in a year or two. I put %50 %50 odds on it.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:46 PM

KRD will become famous soon enough

It is offered to all shops that carry sage, but you have to buy at least 50 of one certian weight. Not many small shops are willing to do that. Cabelas and one shop back east has the "new" XP's
Old 02-20-2009, 07:39 PM

GRN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltflytyer View Post
...plus T&T has one foot in the grave and Winston is only doing marginally better. Watch T&T and Abel to not be around in a year or two. I put %50 %50 odds on it.
That's what we were saying at this time last year... and I would bet on Winston over Scott right now.

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford
Old 02-20-2009, 08:32 PM

onlymidges will become famous soon enoughonlymidges will become famous soon enough

BigCliff wrote---the LL is the rod they need to bring back. They could just offer the 389 and 490 and make LOTS of folks happy.

I talked to a Sage sales rep the other day at my local fly shop and I asked him about the

LL 389 and LL 490

Guess what guys -- he said that Sage is going to run some of the LL 389 and the LL 490 sometime this year

So guys be on the look out -- Our dreams and wishes just might come true.

Jr

"Catch and Release"
Old 02-21-2009, 08:47 AM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRN View Post
That's what we were saying at this time last year... and I would bet on Winston over Scott right now.
good observation, ive seen a few scott dealers go down recently, but the local fly shop that favors the winston brand is doing well
Old 02-21-2009, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

Here is a brief history of Sage's beginning.

Sage was founded in 1979 by Don Green. It was originally called Winslow Manufacturing (after the city of Winslow on Bainbridge Island) but within a year had changed its name to Sage. Bruce Kirschner joined the company in 1980. The partnership of Don and Bruce operated the company until May of 1994 when it was sold to the Joshua Green Corporation. Bruce is currently the CEO of Sage and Don, although partially retired, is still the VP of Research and Development. Like all of us, heís in here working every day and obviously still very much enjoys it.

We should expect to see some of these companies fail. To me it seems that there is a trend of buying less expensive rods and reels made over seas. There is only so much market and every rod sold from over seas means one less sale from our American rod makers. The less expensive rods mean less profit for the small shop and the rod makers. The American builders have tried to adapt by selling low end rods made over seas. This seem to be a stop gap measure and may not work in the long run. I think they will end up going out of business or will end up selling mostly rods from over seas.

You can see this trend with Ross reels. They are getting more and more reels made over seas or now from Mexico. Orvis is one company who has been successful selling over seas products. LL Bean is another. Cabela's is kind of by its self selling both over seas equipment and American made equipment. This year Teton/Tioga reels is out of business unless someone buys the company. They sold some of the best low priced reels in America but couldn't compete. If they come back I bet there is a price increase.

So in the future I am afraid we will see more of the same. Especially with the business climate in America right now. People are not spending a lot of money and I am afraid that a lot fewer high priced rods will be sold this year.

Many of our new fly fishers will never have the experience of a small fly shop run by the owner and his wife. Where you will find wonderful bamboo rods and a wicker creel hanging on the wall. It seemed like no matter what you wanted the owner would shuffle things around and find just what you needed. That all the flies in the shop are tied by the owner and his wife or son. If you wanted something they had to order there was no deposit. When you walked into the shop the owner always called you by name. When you looked at something new to you, the owner always knew all about the product. If you were thinking about a new rod the owner would hand it to you and insist you go fish it for a few days. If you want to know how to tie a certain fly, the owner would sit down and show you how to tie it. There were always free fly tying instructions and free casting lessons.

My very best memory is a small shop with a pot belly stove in the middle of the shop. There was always some body sitting in one of the chairs. If you came into the store you had to sit down and talk. Have a cup of coffee or tea in my case. You didn't have to buy anything. Just share your fishing stories. If you had updated info the owner would add it to his blackboard that held all of the latest fishing hot spots.

These are all things I have experienced and it made fly fishing something different than what it is today. There may still be a few fly shops like I describe. If you find one, support it all you can. The great shops I have known are all gone.

Frank