The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2009, 11:02 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice
Default Rod vs. Reel weight

Is there a basic formula for balancing a rod to a reel? I am making this up off the top of my head, but something like....."if the rod weighs four ounces, subtract a half ounce and that is how much your reel should weigh". I know it is not as simple as that, but I am looking for a general rule of thumb to use as a starting point if there is one. Thanks.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:10 PM

GRN will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Rod vs. Reel weight

I suppose... but you have to take a bunch into account, like rod length, line type and typical range fished... but seriously, don't we have to do enough math in real life?

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford
Old 03-03-2009, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Sure there are all kinds of formulae and theories.

One of them that seems to make some sense, is that the reel should weigh in at 1.5x the "swing weight" of the rod:

Match a Fly Rod and Fly Reel - A Question of Balance

I've never selected reels that way, or gone thru any kind of analysis like that. I would need 2 slide rules and three notary publics to figure it out.

I just like having a reel (with fly line and backing) that balances the rod somewhere near the point where your index finger grips the cork (as the fulcrum). It seems to be the right balance for casting.

Mark
Old 03-04-2009, 09:00 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I always thought lighter was better with reels, but my Ross Evolution leaves
my 9' already-light-Sage feeling tip heavy. I considered returning one of the
Evo's, and buying a heavier Ross Rhythm . This rig balances at the winding
check right.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:29 AM

MontanaMoose will become famous soon enoughMontanaMoose will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
I just like having a reel (with fly line and backing) that balances the rod somewhere near the point where your index finger grips the cork (as the fulcrum). It seems to be the right balance for casting.

Mark
I'm happy if I can get an outfit to balance like peregrines mentions....

For me, if balance winds up above the winding check any distance, the rod will be way tip light and will seemingly require more effort to cast...balance point back from the winding check, say 3 or more inches will make the outfit feel very tip heavy.

That being said, tip heavy, though easier to cast up to a point, is not easy to carry while tip light is.
Nuetral and balanced seems to be the best option for carrying and casting but I still build/set-up outfits so they're just slightly tip light feeling. Hope that gives ideas.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose