The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2009, 02:23 PM

nittspike is on a distinguished road
Default Sage TXL

Hi All,

I fish mainly sth east PA streams and I am in the market for an upgrade this year (plus hitting the big 4-0) and was wondering what anyones thoughts are on the Sage TXL? I cast the 7'10" 4wt and enjoyed it but was wondering if anyone has this rod and can give me a review? Shop guys says it will handle a good range of fly sizes weighted and buggers etc. I read some reviews that it can turn a big fish (5lb brown) if needed but I figure someone who has fished it would be able to offer better insight.

Thanks,
John
Old 02-27-2009, 05:22 PM

Scott Kessler is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sage TXL

nittspike-
The TXL 4710 is my go to rod for the Spring Creeks in WI. It handles everything from dries to nymph rigs to buggers without an issue. It's very versatile. I've used that rod since it came out a few years ago and have caught everything from 4" Brookies to 24" Browns with it. The TXL fits me perfectly.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:47 AM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about

I have a TXL one weight, REALLY FUN TO FISH....The 4 weight would also be a good choice.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:10 AM

nittspike is on a distinguished road

Scott,

What reel and line (DT or WF) did you set it up with?

Thanks,
John
Old 03-02-2009, 10:18 AM

Scott Kessler is on a distinguished road

John-
I have a Ross Evolution 1.5 on my TXL. I've tried many lines on the TXL to see what it could do with them. The Sage Quiet Taper II(produced by Rio) that was made for the rod is a DT. It works very well. 2 other lines that work well on the rod are Rio Selective Trout II and Rio Gold. Both of them are WF4F. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the 3. For me, it depends on what flies I plan on fishing more that day. The Quiet Taper II provides the best presentation in the clear, skinny spring creeks I fish. If I am looking for more distance in the cast, I go with the ST II or the Gold.
Scott
Old 03-03-2009, 09:52 PM

GRN will become famous soon enough

John,

I have fished several of the TXL's and own a few (Sage dealer)... I like them a lot, but if you want a lot of the same feel with a lot more versatility, go cast a 476 or 480 ZXL... the 4pc also packs/travels better. Either are fantastic rods.

TL's~

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford
Old 03-08-2010, 10:15 AM

ddombos2 will become famous soon enoughddombos2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to ddombos2 Send a message via Skype™ to ddombos2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Kessler View Post
John-
I have a Ross Evolution 1.5 on my TXL. I've tried many lines on the TXL to see what it could do with them. The Sage Quiet Taper II(produced by Rio) that was made for the rod is a DT. It works very well. 2 other lines that work well on the rod are Rio Selective Trout II and Rio Gold. Both of them are WF4F. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the 3. For me, it depends on what flies I plan on fishing more that day. The Quiet Taper II provides the best presentation in the clear, skinny spring creeks I fish. If I am looking for more distance in the cast, I go with the ST II or the Gold.
Scott
I've just rigged up with this outfit. 4710-3 with a Ross Evolution 1.5 and WF4F Rio Gold. I've been casting in the back yard on the melting snow. We will see how she does on the water. I've got a spare spool on the way, and I am going to invest in a Sage Quiet Taper Line also. At 7'-10", I am taking this on upper sections of moderately sized michigan rivers, not just as a spring creek rod.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:36 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddombos2 View Post
At 7'-10", I am taking this on upper sections of moderately sized michigan rivers, not just as a spring creek rod.
At 7', 10", You best be looking for some mighty big water or get used to ducking.
Have the Pistons made you an offer yet?
Old 03-09-2010, 03:57 PM

ddombos2 will become famous soon enoughddombos2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to ddombos2 Send a message via Skype™ to ddombos2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
At 7', 10", You best be looking for some mighty big water or get used to ducking.
Have the Pistons made you an offer yet?
Okay, you've got me there.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:33 AM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

I own and fish a TXL; however it is not a 4wt so any of my info would not be relevant. I do have mine paired up with a Galvan OB-1 reel and DT line. I have put some nice browns on that thing and it handles them well.