The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2009, 05:08 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold
Default brunsell "li'l streamer" rod

If you are looking for a fun little rod, that won't break the bank, take a look at the brunsell "li'l streamer" rod sold by global dorbeR group.

I just got one delivered last week, so I haven't had a chance to spend any time with it on the water (mainly cause all the water is still covered with 10" of ice). I have cast it a bit in both the living room and on top of the snow, it does handle line nicely. Wife wasn't too happy when I used her as an casting obstacle in the living room, but the rod is designed to operate in tight quarters. (and it did)

The blank, hardware and wrap job are all top notch, the quality of the cork used isn't the greatest, but I can live with that. The rod is a bit stiffer than I expected, but it is not at all fast (tippy). Looking forward to putting a bend in it once the snow and ice melt (sometime in June or July).

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 03-08-2009, 05:49 PM

Dixiejack has a spectacular aura aboutDixiejack has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: brunsell "li'l streamer" rod

I ordered one today. It is a 7 1/2' 3 wt. If I like it I will probably order a 5'. It is 81 degrees here is SW Georgia today and I should be out fishing.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:52 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Still waiting for ice out (it should be soon). Have lawn/snow cast the rod so far, and have been very happy the way in handles line. Looking forward to seeing how it actually fishes.

p.s. 81 degrees? I'd settle for 51 degrees right now.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 03-13-2009, 10:10 AM

Just ordered a 5' 2# blank, looking forward to getting it wrapped up and see how it fishes.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

Old 03-13-2009, 10:25 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Thanls loads for the link!
Two items caught my eye, the 'bass' fly rod and the short, high power fly blanks!
Old 03-14-2009, 05:00 AM

Hey don't blame me if you spend more than you should

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

Old 03-28-2009, 06:55 PM

Got my blank today, can't wait to get it rolled and put a bend in it.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

Old 04-04-2009, 01:30 PM

Finally got it ready to do battle

Click the image to open in full size.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

Old 04-11-2009, 07:43 AM

Had a chance to fish my new rod a few times. It casts great, as long as you slow down your timing and don't try to overpower the cast. If you fish it slow and gentle, it responds well. And it's great fun when it comes time to do battle with a finned advisary.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

Old 05-08-2009, 09:22 PM

I've had a chance to fish the 5' 2# Global Dorber pretty regularly now for the past several weeks. The rod has become my favorite rod for bluegill fishing, but to be honest, it takes some time to get use to the way it handles. I've never casted a rod before that was so specific in what it required regarding timing and application of power. Alot of that is due to it's short length, if there is any slack in the line during back or forecast, there is not much travel available in the tip of the rod to eat up the slack. It's also very easy to overpower the rod. The rod responds best to a gentle fairly slow casting stroke. Once mastered, it's a very pleasant rod to cast.

The rod also shoots line amazingly well. First time I cast it, it actually ripped the line out of my rod hand. You actually feel a recoil once the available line shoots.

Of course the best part about this rod is the way it feels when a fish is on the line. It a blast.

For the $55 invested in this rod, it's a super great value, as long as you are willing to be patient and spend some time getting use to it.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog