The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2009, 07:30 PM

Jakeway is on a distinguished road
Default Re: new rod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc40chas View Post
for blue gill and crappie i would go lighter than a 4wt. i might even stretch that to a 1 or a 2wt. ..
I'd have to disagree, respectfully. A 1 or 2 wt would indeed be a blast, but unfortunately Bluegills and Crappie are usually in the shallows in spring and fall, and those days can be quite windy. There will be many days that the light weights won't cast a small popping bug or rubber spider in wind.

I carry a cheap, beat-up old Browning 7 foot long 4-5 weight in my truck for those lunch periods I can walk the bank in a park, but on the lake I love my 8 ft, 4 piece 4 weight. It can cast in a fairly stiff breeze, and still gives a good fight with bluegills and the occasional 16 inch bass, catfish, or drum. And it works very well as a trout rod in the Smokey Mountains, too. It will roll cast, high stick, and "dabble" flies in small creeks better than a shorter rod.

Go as good as your budget will allow, but you should find a fine rod in the Echo, Albright, St. Croix, TFO, etc in the $150-$200 range.

Kayaks: Just part of the drag system
Old 03-01-2009, 07:39 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Tell us about the water where you're planning on fishing and how much you'd like to spend

.....then someone will tell you you need to buy a sage
That is pretty funny. Probably true and funny nonetheless!

BTW....if you don't want to drop money on a Sage, and are looking for a 3 wt. or less, I have a Cabelas 3forks rod that I like, a 7.5 ft. 3 wt. It really is a pretty decent rod. If you want to take a small step up in price and a larger step up in quality go for an Albright A-5.

Or just take the plunge and get the Sage!
Old 03-01-2009, 07:41 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeway View Post
I'd have to disagree, respectfully. A 1 or 2 wt would indeed be a blast, but unfortunately Bluegills and Crappie are usually in the shallows in spring and fall, and those days can be quite windy. There will be many days that the light weights won't cast a small popping bug or rubber spider in wind.

I carry a cheap, beat-up old Browning 7 foot long 4-5 weight in my truck for those lunch periods I can walk the bank in a park, but on the lake I love my 8 ft, 4 piece 4 weight. It can cast in a fairly stiff breeze, and still gives a good fight with bluegills and the occasional 16 inch bass, catfish, or drum. And it works very well as a trout rod in the Smokey Mountains, too. It will roll cast, high stick, and "dabble" flies in small creeks better than a shorter rod.

Go as good as your budget will allow, but you should find a fine rod in the Echo, Albright, St. Croix, TFO, etc in the $150-$200 range.
This makes a lot of sense to me. Good advice.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:44 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmooney View Post
im going to be fishing for mainly bluegill and crappie with this rod/reel combo. i already have a 9' 7 weight plateau rod with a flueger reel for bass. so i was thinking a lighter, 5 weight maybe? but the reel seems really solid, i like the drag on it. i wouldnt necessarily call it a paperweight, but thats just my opinion.
Have a look at the Ross Essence. They have a model 476-4, that's a 7'6" 4 wt. 4-piece rod. I purchased 4 of them for my nieces and their husbands last Spring and they went over very well. Easy casting, good accuracy and distance with a nice rod tube and sock. Price is around $119, so that should be within your range. Also agree that St. Croix and Albright would be good choices.

If you like extra fast action rods, then have a look at the Redington CPS rods that Cabelas is selling. They're the last of the stock and there's a model CPS7644; 7'6" 4 wt. 4-piece that's selling for $149.50. To me that's a nice rod to match up with almost any reel.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:22 PM

pc40chas is on a distinguished road

ya jakeway, your right about the windy days with a 1wt. but im a big fan of ultra light gear. i would just say keep it as light as posible. its just more fun.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:45 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

The bluegill, pumpkinseed, perch, and crappie I catch put up a pretty good
fight when I use a 4wt. Sometimes I hook into a nice smallmouth when
fishing for bluegill. I've never cast anything lighter than a 4wt, and that line
size casts #10 buggers and such well. Since mrooney's other rod is a 7wt,
I'd suggest going for a 4wt.

Look at the rods mentioned above. Cabelas has the St. Croix Reign on sale
for $100 right now (2-pc), and the Reign 8' 4wt 4-pc for $120.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:23 AM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice

heres some im looing at:

Orvis Clearwater II- its a 4 wt, 8' 6" 2 piece rod for $169. but the orvis store by me is having a big sale right now on everything, so i think the price will be down for a little bit now.

st. croix reign- 4wt, 8', 4 piece for $120 (originaly $150)

redington cps- 4wt, 7' 6", 4 piece for $149 (originaly $299)

the st. croix and redington are from cabelas, and the orvis is from the orvis store

and my reel is an okuma sierra s5/6

thanks to everybody who is helping me out!!
Old 03-02-2009, 01:16 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Give the CPS a try. You can always return it. The CPS rods had a real
following, and I waited too long to bag one from Cabelas at $149 .
They come with a case and lifetime warranty, and customer service is
very good. I've spoken with them on a few occassions, and the head of
marketing called me back to discuss the CPS.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:44 PM

MikeG will become famous soon enough

Cabela's probably has the best customer service and return policy in the business. Oneday it could kill them but they are actually slowly changing it and adapting it.