The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2009, 01:21 PM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice
Default new rod?

so, i just got a okuma sierra s5/6 and i dont know what rod to get. any suggestions?
Old 03-01-2009, 02:26 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of
Default Re: new rod?

I would go with a Sage VT2 or a Redingtion
Ofcourse Orvis makes some great rods
Bear
Old 03-01-2009, 02:30 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

You want to buy a rod based on a $19 reel? I have the same reel, and it serves as a nice paperweight .

Buy a __wt in ___length. Works for me
Old 03-01-2009, 02:57 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Tell us about the water where you're planning on fishing and how much you'd like to spend

.....then someone will tell you you need to buy a sage
Old 03-01-2009, 03:59 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmooney View Post
so, i just got a okuma sierra s5/6 and i dont know what rod to get. any suggestions?
Hi RMooney,

What kind of fishing are you planning on doing? That will determine the best rod match for your Okuma reel.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:49 PM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice

im going to be fishing for mainly bluegill and crappie with this rod/reel combo. i already have a 9' 7 weight plateau rod with a flueger reel for bass. so i was thinking a lighter, 5 weight maybe? but the reel seems really solid, i like the drag on it. i wouldnt necessarily call it a paperweight, but thats just my opinion.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:54 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I was just kidding

I had mine on a 7'6" 4wt St. Croix Imperial and Pro Graphite. They balanced
fine, and the reel did its job. The drag knob moves easily, and tended to
drift quite bit. Beyond that, it's fine. I actually bought mine when they were
$40, so.....

Take a look at a 7'6" or 8' 4wt for bluegill and crappie. I use a 7'6" 4wt for
those little beasties.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:58 PM

yeah, i was looking at a bunch of 7' 6" rods...but i dont know much about rods, so im trying to get other opinions. i havent really thought about price ranges, but nothing TOO unreasonable.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:05 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

For a not to expensive rod for gills check out the Redington crosswater, my son has one in a 9' 5wt and does just fine with it. Even maybe a Cabelas Traditional rod, both under 100 and both good rods for the money.
Bear
Old 03-01-2009, 06:44 PM

pc40chas is on a distinguished road

for blue gill and crappie i would go lighter than a 4wt. i might even stretch that to a 1 or a 2wt. if thats all that rod is for. youll have alot more fun with a lighter rod. face it, those fish arent gonna pull too much drag. it will be fun, but dont over do the equipment. if you gonna use that rod one day for trout or similar, yah go with the 4wt. as for that reel, it wont go that well on a 1wt. but you have to remember on a rod 4wt and under, the reel is MOST OF THE TIME just holding your line. so try not to get stuck on that reel.