The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2009, 11:18 PM

catfish is on a distinguished road
Default new

i'm new to all this and i need some advice
i have a $100 cabelas gift card i was going to buy a redington crosswater combo as a second rod but i can't find the lenght & weight i want in the
store and i won't buy a rod without being able to cast it first
i already have a tfo series one and an orvis bbs3 in 5wt ok i still have this gift card burning a hole in my pocket and cabelas is having a in store sale
starting on the 5th ok here are my choices

cabelas rls reel $80 prestige plus line $20 or
cabelas traditional II rod and a ross flystart w/line and backing combo $100

any advice would sure help
Old 03-03-2009, 07:28 AM

Dr. Gonzo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: new

If you're new to this just stick with what you've got and learn on it. A 5wt is a good all purpose rod (unless you're talking about saltwater). Since you already have a rod you might want to spend the gift card on other stuff you need - e.g. flies, leaders, waders, wading boots etc. I can't tell from your post what you do and don't have but I've never found that I have everything I want
Old 03-03-2009, 08:10 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Cabela's Jack Dennis Beginner Tying Kit with DVD
Old 03-03-2009, 08:39 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto what Dr. Gonzo and Rip Tide said. There are SOOOO many other good
products I'd spend that $100 on. Tying is one option. Waders, net, vest,
a ton of flies if you don't want to tie, etc.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:08 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

This year, I decided I wanted to tie some of my own flies, and have easily spent $100 on all the stuff, vise, materials, etc. I didn't think I would enjoy it as much as I do, but got into a couple fly swaps, and have caught a couple nice fish on flies I tied. Guess I am hooked on both aspects of fly fishing now. I gotta tell you, there is nothing quite so kewl as catching a nice bow on a fly you tied yourself - kinda closes the circle if you can follow my drift. You think about the area you fish, think about the insects or baitfish in the area, look it up on the web, design or find a fly that matches what you think are the right colors, sizes, etc... tie up the fly, hit the water, catch a nice fish, play him in, take a photo, and release him, watching him swim back into the watery depths.

Don't know about everyone else, but for me this is what makes me a "complete" fly fisherman, and when you are jonesing because of the weather, tye a few flies while you day dream about that big guy you caught on your own design or tie.

If you have a rod and reel, and don't tie, use your gift card to take up the tying aspect of fly fishing, that would be my advice.

d
Old 03-03-2009, 09:22 AM

catfish is on a distinguished road

i really don't have time to tye flies i'm already set for this season's fishing
i've ordered about $85 worth of flies from BIG Y FLY CO
got every thing i need for this season other than a guide and a few days off
sunday i spent 3hrs in cabelas and couldn't find anything i just had to have
that is when i found out about the sale starting on the 5th
and the gift card started burning a hole in my pocket
Old 03-03-2009, 09:26 AM

MikeG will become famous soon enough

If you were smart, not saying that you are not, you would call your nearest Cabela's and have them order you the rod for free, so when you come you can test cast it and then decide whether or not you want to buy it. I work at Cabela's in IL and that is how we handle a situation like this. Cabela's will order stuff for people if they call or come in. We want you to be happy and come back!
Old 03-03-2009, 09:28 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Well, if your not going to tie, and you have all you need, waders, vests, wading jacket, etc.. then you find yourself in a nice quandary, and like you said, wait for the sale, and see what kind of deal you can get on a backup rod and reel.

BTW - not trying to talk you into it or anything, to each thier own - I didn't think I would have time to tie either, but find myself pulling out the vice and tying up a few flies on rainy days, or at night before I call it a day. I have a very stressful job, which is what actually got me back into fly fishing - but that is another story, I have found, for me, that being able to tie up a fly or two is kinda of a stress reliever. Hmm, maybe I can get the doc to write me a prescription for a new vise.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

If you don't need boots, waders, a vest, or a good hat, I'd buy a good net.

Cabela's Wood Frame Rubber Net Ok, I didn't actually think they would have them that cheap, so we've got to find you something else. (I'll be getting one of those myself before next trout season.)

A good wading staff will be a huge help in Elevenmile Canyon and on the granite slabs in the Arkansas- Cabela's -- Collapsible/Wading Staff

If you'd rather just have the best possible staff, this is absolutely it- Cabela's -- Simms® Wading Staff The cord that joins the sections is very heavy nylon coated stainless cable. It will last longer than you will.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:33 AM

LocktownDog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrx View Post
Hmm, maybe I can get the doc to write me a prescription for a new vise.
Don't hold your breath, friend. I'm still waiting on that prescription for the cigars and bourbon.