The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2009, 01:17 AM

HookEmHorns will become famous soon enough
Default Saltwater v. Freshwater Fly Rods

Hey y'all,
I have yet another newbie question. I was wondering about some of the differences between a saltwater fly rod and a freshwater fly rod. I know that the saltwater ones are a little heavier duty than freshwater ones.

And the whole reason for this thread? Well I was wondering if you could take a saltwater rod and fish in freshwater. I know it sounds like a stupid question and probably an easy question, but I was just curious. I want to get an Orvis Helios rod but the only ones I can find that are the ones that I want are saltwater. So I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. My first thought was that of course it will work! I know that salt wreaks havoc on the reels and guides, so I figured that it would be fine using it in freshwater. But hey, I don't know absolutely everything, but don't tell my girlfriend I said that!
Thanks y'all.
HookEmHorns
Old 03-07-2009, 08:25 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Saltwater v. Freshwater Fly Rods

HookEmHorns

I have never owned a saltwater rod, but I believe the only differencce is the material the manufacture uses on the reel seat and the guides to prevent corrosion. I don't see why you couldn't use it in fresh water.

Maybe Mark or one of the other members who fishes salt will chime in here that fish salt to give some real life experience.

Larry
Old 03-07-2009, 01:00 PM

Hakai is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Hakai

I would never dunk my fresh water gear in the chuck , but as far as salt water gear in fresh water. Go for it ! These rods and reels are only different in the fact that there built to take the salt water related corrosion. If you use it in fresh water all your doing (IMO) is extending the life of your investment !
Old 03-07-2009, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

HookEm-

Yup, saltwater gear is fine in FW. In fact the standard advice for using any FF gear in SW is to hose everything down in FW after use, so you'll be fine.

The problem is going the other way, using FW gear in SW. Some FW rods for example might have wood inserts in the handles that might swell or discolor in SW, or metal reel seats and guides that are susceptible to corrosion. In addition to the corrosion resistant materials, SW rods tend to have sturdier reel seats and many have slightly larger guides (for passing knots), so that certainly can't hurt.

And of course reels can be eaten up in SW if they don't have corrosion resistant components and finish. If you tie stuff like Clousers for FW, it would be a good idea to tie them on a SW Hook like a Mustad 34007 or the less expensive but harder to find 3407, so that they can do double duty in SW.

Many rods and reels these days made in 8 weight and up are designed to used in SW so they can tap into both FW and SW markets, so there is no downside to using them in either FW or SW.

The only caveat is lines--- some SW "tropical" lines like those used for bonefish and tarpon by SA and others are specially formulated for use in hot weather (where normal lines tend to get gummy) don't do so well in water 50 degrees and colder (FW or SW)-- they tend to get wiry like a slinky.

Hope this helps. That's a very nice rod you're looking at.

Mark
Old 03-07-2009, 02:43 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Go for it. salt water rods are just built with corrosion resistant materials & like Perigrenes said they might have bigger guides. & a sturdier or different material reel seat & a fighting butt.... Go for a 4 piece for the ease of transport as these are usually longer rods....
Old 03-07-2009, 04:01 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The problem is going the other way, using FW gear in SW. Some FW rods for example might have wood inserts in the handles that might swell or discolor in SW, or metal reel seats and guides that are susceptible to corrosion. In addition to the corrosion resistant materials, SW rods tend to have sturdier reel seats and many have slightly larger guides (for passing knots), so that certainly can't hurt.
I have a 'fresh water' rod that I use exclusively in the salt.
In the beginning, I was concerned about something happening to the wood reel seat spacer but so far it doesn't seem any worse for the wear.
On my home rolled rods, I often use $5 graphite spinning rod reel seats. Those seem to be plenty heavy duty.
The stainless guides on my 'fresh water' SW rod aren't rusting any quicker than the stainless guides on my 'official' SW rods.

I think a lot of this stuff is mostly perception and marketing. You perceive the need for more heavy duty components...so that's what you're sold. Whether they're all that important to the function of the rod is secondary

Mark...I use the 3407 hook most of the time and I don't have any trouble finding them.
They're sold at the hardware store down the street in packs of 10 for a buck.
If I want more than that I can get them at most any general tackle shop.....for some reason, they're just not sold in fly shops
Old 03-07-2009, 06:48 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I have a 'fresh water' rod that I use exclusively in the salt.
In the beginning, I was concerned about something happening to the wood reel seat spacer but so far it doesn't seem any worse for the wear.
On my home rolled rods, I often use $5 graphite spinning rod reel seats. Those seem to be plenty heavy duty.
The stainless guides on my 'fresh water' SW rod aren't rusting any quicker than the stainless guides on my 'official' SW rods.

I think a lot of this stuff is mostly perception and marketing. You perceive the need for more heavy duty components...so that's what you're sold. Whether they're all that important to the function of the rod is secondary

Mark...I use the 3407 hook most of the time and I don't have any trouble finding them.
They're sold at the hardware store down the street in packs of 10 for a buck.
If I want more than that I can get them at most any general tackle shop.....for some reason, they're just not sold in fly shops
I use 34007's all the time, I've never seen a 3407. Is it lighter wire? is it still stainless steel?
Old 03-07-2009, 07:08 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Not stainless...nickle plated