The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   Need a better small stream rod (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/8269-need-better-small-stream-rod.html)

KRD 03-07-2009 10:13 PM

Need a better small stream rod

I have a WWGrigg 6' 3wt rod that I use not. The stream that I fish in no wider that 6-7 feet (during snow runoff), with tons of trees overhanging.
I have to roll cast everything with very little line out. My rod just does not seem to load that great. It is pretty stiff.

So I am looking for something no longer that 6'6", prefer 6'. Really want Should I go fiberglass or graphite. There is a lot of rock crawling and I have to throw my rod so I can use both hands to get around sometimes. So I'm not wanting to spend big money on it.

Any ideas?

mojo 03-07-2009 10:56 PM

Re: Need a better small stream rod

A 6' glass rod would be perfect and load up ideally for your waters. Here's a link you might want to check out. Lamiglas e-glass.
Custom Fly Rods, South Fork Rod Company manufactures the finest fly rods
Dave Redington's new company. If you have the time build a blank up. They sell them too.

Graphite is just not soft enough in a 6' length. With the Griggs you've already found that out.

KRD 03-07-2009 11:20 PM

Thanks. On the Graphite I was not sure if getting a fast action rod would help, but I think I am gonna go glass.

GRN 03-08-2009 12:09 AM

For $99 the LL Bean Streamlight 3wtscome 5'9" & 6'6", both cast nice, bend deep for short loads, and come with a 100% satisfaction guaranty.

pszy22 03-08-2009 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KRD (Post 51912)
I have a WWGrigg 6' 3wt rod that I use not. The stream that I fish in no wider that 6-7 feet (during snow runoff), with tons of trees overhanging.
I have to roll cast everything with very little line out. My rod just does not seem to load that great. It is pretty stiff.

So I am looking for something no longer that 6'6", prefer 6'. Really want Should I go fiberglass or graphite. There is a lot of rock crawling and I have to throw my rod so I can use both hands to get around sometimes. So I'm not wanting to spend big money on it.

Any ideas?

Maybe one of these -

global dorbeR group - brunsell "li'l streamer"

ksbrowntrout2 03-08-2009 08:28 AM

SCOTT F!!! they are pretty expensive for glass though They run around 525$They would do great. ( they have a 6 foot 6 2 weight)

I also like the Hardy Glass rod, that runs around 300 (They have a 6 foot 3 weight)

There are other good glass rods out there, but those are my personal favorites.

FlyDog 03-08-2009 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pszy22 (Post 51927)
Maybe one of these -

global dorbeR group - brunsell "li'l streamer"

I'll second that.

I got the "li'l streamer" in a 5' 5wt. as my clueless transition rod from ultra lite spinning to fly fishing. I only used it a few times before I learned this was not the proper tool for learning to flyfish.
That being said, that rod is a kick to fish on small streams as described by the OP. A well made rod with really good feel to it.
My only problem was I had to keep my wife nearby to keep removeing the flies from the back of my shirt.:redface:

jkurtz7 03-08-2009 10:25 AM

I think short light line glass rods are great for small stream fishing. They load in close. Mojo mentioned South Fork Rods for a glass rod, that's a great place to look, as Dave's prices are really good. McFarland Rod Co., Steffen Bros, and Performance Fly Rods, are other good places to look for top of the line glass rods.

J.

tpn11 03-08-2009 10:42 AM

for an inexpensive option, i love my Cabelas Three Forks 7'6" 3 wt

packs up decent in three pieces...for the price it is a great backup rod or small stream rod

never had an issue with flies as small as midges or throwing size 8 woolly buggers as well

just my 2 Cents

mojo 03-08-2009 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tpn11 (Post 51954)
for an inexpensive option, i love my Cabelas Three Forks 7'6" 3 wt

packs up decent in three pieces...for the price it is a great backup rod or small stream rod

never had an issue with flies as small as midges or throwing size 8 woolly buggers as well

just my 2 Cents

But it's a foot+ longer than he wants.