The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2009, 10:13 PM

KRD will become famous soon enough
Default Need a better small stream rod

I have a WWGrigg 6' 3wt rod that I use not. The stream that I fish in no wider that 6-7 feet (during snow runoff), with tons of trees overhanging.
I have to roll cast everything with very little line out. My rod just does not seem to load that great. It is pretty stiff.

So I am looking for something no longer that 6'6", prefer 6'. Really want Should I go fiberglass or graphite. There is a lot of rock crawling and I have to throw my rod so I can use both hands to get around sometimes. So I'm not wanting to spend big money on it.

Any ideas?
Old 03-07-2009, 10:56 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Need a better small stream rod

A 6' glass rod would be perfect and load up ideally for your waters. Here's a link you might want to check out. Lamiglas e-glass.
Custom Fly Rods, South Fork Rod Company manufactures the finest fly rods
Dave Redington's new company. If you have the time build a blank up. They sell them too.

Graphite is just not soft enough in a 6' length. With the Griggs you've already found that out.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:20 PM

KRD will become famous soon enough

Thanks. On the Graphite I was not sure if getting a fast action rod would help, but I think I am gonna go glass.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:09 AM

GRN will become famous soon enough

For $99 the LL Bean Streamlight 3wtscome 5'9" & 6'6", both cast nice, bend deep for short loads, and come with a 100% satisfaction guaranty.

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford
Old 03-08-2009, 03:34 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRD View Post
I have a WWGrigg 6' 3wt rod that I use not. The stream that I fish in no wider that 6-7 feet (during snow runoff), with tons of trees overhanging.
I have to roll cast everything with very little line out. My rod just does not seem to load that great. It is pretty stiff.

So I am looking for something no longer that 6'6", prefer 6'. Really want Should I go fiberglass or graphite. There is a lot of rock crawling and I have to throw my rod so I can use both hands to get around sometimes. So I'm not wanting to spend big money on it.

Any ideas?
Maybe one of these -

global dorbeR group - brunsell "li'l streamer"

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 03-08-2009, 08:28 AM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about

SCOTT F!!! they are pretty expensive for glass though They run around 525$They would do great. ( they have a 6 foot 6 2 weight)

I also like the Hardy Glass rod, that runs around 300 (They have a 6 foot 3 weight)

There are other good glass rods out there, but those are my personal favorites.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:36 AM

FlyDog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post
Maybe one of these -

global dorbeR group - brunsell "li'l streamer"
I'll second that.

I got the "li'l streamer" in a 5' 5wt. as my clueless transition rod from ultra lite spinning to fly fishing. I only used it a few times before I learned this was not the proper tool for learning to flyfish.
That being said, that rod is a kick to fish on small streams as described by the OP. A well made rod with really good feel to it.
My only problem was I had to keep my wife nearby to keep removeing the flies from the back of my shirt.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:25 AM

jkurtz7 is on a distinguished road

I think short light line glass rods are great for small stream fishing. They load in close. Mojo mentioned South Fork Rods for a glass rod, that's a great place to look, as Dave's prices are really good. McFarland Rod Co., Steffen Bros, and Performance Fly Rods, are other good places to look for top of the line glass rods.

J.

Ultralight fly fishing guru
Old 03-08-2009, 10:42 AM

tpn11 is on a distinguished road

for an inexpensive option, i love my Cabelas Three Forks 7'6" 3 wt

packs up decent in three pieces...for the price it is a great backup rod or small stream rod

never had an issue with flies as small as midges or throwing size 8 woolly buggers as well

just my 2 Cents
Old 03-08-2009, 04:44 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpn11 View Post
for an inexpensive option, i love my Cabelas Three Forks 7'6" 3 wt

packs up decent in three pieces...for the price it is a great backup rod or small stream rod

never had an issue with flies as small as midges or throwing size 8 woolly buggers as well

just my 2 Cents
But it's a foot+ longer than he wants.