The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2009, 11:27 PM

TnTom is on a distinguished road
Default Florocarbon ? Why or what is it

Came across a spool of PLine digging around in one of my tackle boxes looking for something to use as tippet and came across some 8# I had used on one of my spinning reels. Too big for what I was looking for but I noticed on the box it said "Florocarbon Coated". I had also wrote some comments on the box.. I recall I didn't like it for what ever reason but my question is....
What does it mean by"Coated". What makes it different from mono? If it is "coated" what has been coated what is it that makes it as invisible as folks claim? Should have posted this on the "Line" thing.
Thanks
Tom
Old 03-10-2009, 01:06 AM

HookEmHorns will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Florocarbon ? Why or what is it

Hey TnTom,
From what I could find on the subject...
Monofilament stretches, and absorbs water, but it is these qualities that may make it worse. The site I found said that it can lose as much as 15 percent of it's breaking strength when it is saturated. It is known for having low memory and ease with tying knots and general handling. The stretchiness of the line is both good and bad... It is looked good to kind of absorb some of the shock of a hard strike of a fish that hits the lure. But the disadvantage of this is that some fish don't strike very hard, you are sometimes not sure the fish are even there, so they can bite on, but let go before you even know they are on. Another thing I found on the website is that the line weakens considerably after long exposure to UV light. Less memory, strong, stretchy (good and bad), easy to handle and tie knots, also abrassive resistant. Basically sums up the good for monofilament.

For Fluorocarbon:
The fluorocarbon tippet or line is known for it being nearly invisible to the fish. This is because of less light refracting when it goes through the line... this is probably due to coating or whatever they do to the line. The website goes into some numbers that I don't really know anything about, but the refractive index or whatever it is called is closer to that of water than the monofilament line, this helps it seem less visible. The fluorocarbon line is not stretchy, being rigid, so there is more memory... But with a leather wallet you can straighten that out pretty easy
It is not porous, and has a harder finish, as stated above. This means that it is heavier than water, and will sink because it has no pores to allow air bubbles to attach and keep it afloat. The hard coating means that it is more abbrasion resistant, but retains much more memory. It also helps to keep the rated breaking strength relatively the same whether wet or dry. In most cases, it is the same size or smaller than the same comparable strength of monofilament line, because of being harder material. So it has better sensitivity and hook setting ability. Also it is less susceptible to UV light and chemicals or abbrasion.
Sinking, harder, retains more memory, tough, nearly invisible to fish, more sensitive, better hook setting, but more expensive. Highlights of fluorocarbon lines.

Hope this helps, I didn't really know what the difference was before looking it up, so thanks for teaching me something in the process! haha
Here is the link to the website I got the information off of in case you want to look at it, because I'm sure there are some things that I probably didn't explain the best...

HookEmHorns
Old 03-10-2009, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Some of the above is correct, some is off a bit so i'll simplify and clarify. Fluorocarbon line is more invisible underwater because it looks more like water than nylon monofilament does. It sinks faster than monofilament because it is more dense, and is also more dense than water. It is also harder and thus more abrasion resistant than monofilament, and will be a slightly smaller diameter for a given breaking strength.

Its main downside- it has more memory and thus will get kinky much more easily. This problem becomes most obvious with casting knots or backlashes on a casting reel. Its sinking tendencies can also be a problem when fishing dry flies.

The line you mentioned as being "Fluorocarbon coated" likely exhibits some but not all of the differences between fluoro and mono. It is likely more abrasion resistant and slightly more invisible than monofilament of the same diameter. Its construction is what's known as a copolymer, where two different materials are extruded to construct one line.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:39 PM

TnTom is on a distinguished road

that sure covers anything and everything about it that I could have ever want ed to know.

I'm fishing an area that gets quite a bit of pressure and thought it might make a difference, the low visibility characteristic could help out for sure.

I was catching small Browns on a Parachute Adams and they wouldnt touch an Adams. The sinking nature of the Florocarbon might cancel out the low vis aspect if I cant keep the dry up high on the surface film.

It might make a difference with a dropper on my dry using the 6x mono on the Parachute Adams and florocarbon for some sub-surface action. Doubles

Reading the link that HookemHorns provided looks like there may be some good things in the future for a new florocarbon line. Be great if they could induce a floating characteristic and a softer less memory prone line.

Thanks
TnTom
Old 03-10-2009, 04:20 PM

PJN is on a distinguished road

This is a little off topic but my catch rates improved significantly when I switched to fluoro leaders and tippet....I like the Grand Max by Seagur but have also used the Orvis Mirage. I also went to fluro leaders on my ice fishing gear years ago when it firs came out and really noticed a difference in more rainbow fooled.....just my 2 cents on fluro...
Old 03-10-2009, 08:08 PM

PancakeFace22 will become famous soon enough

I had heard that the reason fluorocarbon is less visible in water is because it refracts light at an angle much closer to the refraction angle of water. I'm fairly new to buying fly fishing tippets and everything, so I don't know if the technology used in them is the same as what is used in conventional tackle lines, but I do have some experience with the different types on spinning rods.

When I used 100% fluorocarbon on a mid-sized spinning rod, I had lots of problems with memory and having wads of line coming off in a mess than I normally do with regular monofilament, but the finicky fish I was trying to catch did seem more willing to bite when using the fluorocarbon. Since then I have started primarily using copolymer lines, like Yo-Zuri Hybrid, that handle very well, have low stretch, high abrasion resistance, and low visibility in the water. That's just my experience using spinning tackle though.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:56 PM

Magoo79 is on a distinguished road

There is a simple way to help fix the floro wanting to peel off a spinning reel. Because of the high memory, when spooling your reel with floro you have to make sure the reel is spinning in the same direction that the line is peeling off the line spool. If the two are not in sync you will have alot of problems with the line on the reel. I took a trip to canada, used brand new 6lb floro for the walleye and didn't really have any issues, but I made sure I had everything going in the same direction when spooling the floro.

Mike.