The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2009, 08:14 AM

PJN is on a distinguished road
Default Help with my new Z-axis...

Howdy gang...new member here. Great site I have been lurking for a week or so.
I just bought a Sage Z-axis (9 foot 4 pc 5 wt).... wont be fishing it for a couple weeks yet.
I test casted it with a GPX and a 444SL.....Was wondering what all are using on their Z's and if anyone is like me and has to try a bunch of lines to find the best. I have a samll arsenal of T&T's, St Croixs, and a Sage SLT....
I have never tried sage lines or Rio Lines......

Also wondering if you might have any comments on if "learning" this stick is ongoing process???? Alot of rods have learning curves I think...especially if you only hit the water once or twice a week....Thanks....
Old 03-10-2009, 05:35 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice
Default Re: Help with my new Z-axis...

I have been casting a Z a bit lately and one thing that I learned is that that rod really doesn't like to be "horsed". I found that it cast sooo much better if I just relaxed my casting stroke a little and let the rod do the work. Hope that helps shorten your learning curve a little bit!

Great rod btw....I almost bought one very recently myself!
Old 03-10-2009, 05:52 PM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about

When i tried it out, I liked it better with a WF than a DT...I liked the RIO gold and the RIO grand....Im sure there are other good lines out there as well
Old 03-10-2009, 06:13 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm using the same rod with GPX line. As noted above, this rod likes to do the
work for you. It's not as fast as some of the broomsticks out there, so don't
approach like that (ask me how I learned that ). I fished
the rod on a very narrow stream this past weekend, and it performed beautifully in close, yet throw a very nice loop 40' upstream. LOVE IT!!!
Old 03-11-2009, 12:18 AM

GRN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbrowntrout2 View Post
When i tried it out, I liked it better with a WF than a DT...I liked the RIO gold and the RIO grand....Im sure there are other good lines out there as well
I find the contrary, these lines overload the Z-Axis taper IMO. I like TT, and Tactical Ridge.

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford
Old 03-11-2009, 07:49 AM

PJN is on a distinguished road

The shop where I bought it suggested a Sci Angler Trout or one of the Rio lines....he went on to explain that the long belly section of the 444sl might hinder for some the z's ability to keep more line in the air and he also mentioned that this rod doesnt need a GPX to load and that it slows the rod down....makes sense to me....I didnt buy the rod where I tried casting it and didnt try any other lines where I bought. This i why I originally posted because I thought these 2 lines that I had on my other 5wts seemed "awkward" on this rod after seeing the rod in action elsewhere and reading all about them. I know everyone is different in casting style and abilities....Im just curious what is best on this rod for others. I have a Tri Taper on my 9 wt and love it......
Thanks again ....
Old 03-11-2009, 11:26 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I returned a 5wt Z-Axis, and ordered a 6wt Z-Axis. The rod arrived, I grabbed
a reel with 6wt GPX, and had a blast! I thought it was a tremendous improvement over the 5wt GPX, and it cast like a dream. It wasn't until I
was wiping the rod down that I noticed they had sent me another 5wt,
but in a 6wt tube!!! Determined to make the 5wt work, I went back out the
next day with a 5wt GPX line, and adjusted my casting stroke for a few minutes. Once I realized that the rod does not like to be flung back and forth
too fast, it was smooth sailing. I have a spool of SA Mastery Trout, but haven't seen the need to try it on the Z-Axis yet. I should, but......
Old 03-19-2009, 06:41 AM

catman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJN View Post
Howdy gang...new member here. Great site I have been lurking for a week or so.
I just bought a Sage Z-axis (9 foot 4 pc 5 wt).... wont be fishing it for a couple weeks yet.
I test casted it with a GPX and a 444SL.....Was wondering what all are using on their Z's and if anyone is like me and has to try a bunch of lines to find the best. I have a samll arsenal of T&T's, St Croixs, and a Sage SLT....
I have never tried sage lines or Rio Lines......

Also wondering if you might have any comments on if "learning" this stick is ongoing process???? Alot of rods have learning curves I think...especially if you only hit the water once or twice a week....Thanks....
I did the same thing looking for a line for my Z-axis 8'6" 4wt. Go with the Rio Gold...it works. Then let the rod do the work, it will..I've used my 5wt Sharkskin with it also when I have to reach out there and touch someone, it's like a rocket with Sharkskin..
Old 06-12-2009, 05:51 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

I guide with both 5wt XP, and a 5wt Z axis. The XP will drive tacks, the z requires a slower touch. The Z fishes more like slower rods of old, a very sweet loop for dry fly. The XP seems to huck indicators and streamers better. Love 'em both.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:47 PM

basco is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Help with my new Z-axis...

I'm new to this forum too and I love all of the info I can find here. Thanks everybody. Anyway, I just bought a z-axis 9ft 5wt a couple weeks ago. I fish it with rio grand 5wt and I absolutely love what this rod has done for my on-the-water experience! I love fishing but I feel like this rod has taken my enjoyment to a whole new level!