The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2009, 09:17 AM

bamboo2 is on a distinguished road
Question Orvis Helios Rods

Someone I know who works for Orvis mentioned the other day that they may possibly be considering producing the next wave of Helios rods in either China or Korea instead of their manufacturing plant in Vermont.

If you were planning to purchase a Helios rod, would you still do so if you knew it was made in another country?

P.S. I am not sure this is where this question belongs. This is my first post so if I'm in the wrong spot please forgive me!
Old 03-11-2009, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Orvis Helios Rods

Hi bamboo2,

Well lets just assume this is an "IF" question until something really happens.

The Helios Rod is quite high in price and is worth it as an American product. IF the rod was made overseas then the price would have to take a big drop for me to even consider it. I don't own any overseas rods and I for sure would not pay top dollar for one. I would be more apt to buy a Korean rod than I would a China rod.

I think the buying public has accepted the overseas low end rods but I don't know if they would go for overseas high end rods. If a company like Sage decided to build a factory in Korea and use local labor. There is no reason to assume the quality would be less than it is here in America. Sage knows how to build fly rods and where they build them doesn't really matter. The problem is overseas companies are building their own rods and selling them to American companies. The company buying the rods may have very little to do with the construction.

Frank
Old 03-11-2009, 11:17 AM

James Hathaway is on a distinguished road

Hi... James Hathaway, with Orvis here.

There is NO truth to this whatsoever, bamboo2.

I am not sure where you are getting your information, but I work everyday with the lead product developer on Helios here at the Orvis home office in Sunderland. I just called him to see where this strange rumor may have come from, and he was surprised as well.

To be clear... the Helios is made by hand in Manchester, VT... and will continue to be made by hand in Manchester, VT.

Thanks!

James Hathaway
Manager, Communications & Conservation
The Orvis Company
Old 03-11-2009, 12:24 PM

Thanks for the reassurance James. Nice to know that it was just a rumor!

I have been a loyal customer for many years now and when I heard this I wanted to find out if others would feel the same way I do. I couldn't agree with you more Frank!

My Helios has replaced all of my previous graphite rods and has given my two bamboo rods a well deserved rest!

Keep up the good work!
Old 03-11-2009, 01:53 PM

fishosopher is on a distinguished road

Yes. It's a global economy. All of us have to compete in it. I drive my Hondas over 150,000 miles without a single problem. I wish this country could build a car that good, but it can't.
We're all in the same boat. We all come 'ere and we don't know why. We all go in our turn and we don't know where. If you are a bit better off, be thankful. And if you don't get into trouble an' make a fool of yourself, well, be thankful for that,'cos you easily might.--J.B.Priestley
Old 03-11-2009, 02:44 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I was in Denver last week and stopped at the Orivs store and bought a new fedora style fishing hat and some rowing gloves (I'm always forgetting to put sun tan lotion on the top of my hands until it's too late). Anyway, while I was there I took a good look at the Helios rods..................they are very nicely built, sure wish I could afford one, or maybe I can, but how to get a purchase like that by the ACCOUNTANT! LOL!

Larry
Old 03-11-2009, 04:19 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
Yes. It's a global economy. All of us have to compete in it. I drive my Hondas over 150,000 miles without a single problem. I wish this country could build a car that good, but it can't.
We can and do build cars that last that long and more. You have to do your part as you obviously have by doing things like scheduled maintenance and such.

What 'this is a global economy' seems to be code for is, 'be prepared to lower the standards your parents so thoughtfully handed you to those of third world countries. Though it seems to be a losing battle, I will continue the fight against this 'New World Order'. I prefer to hand my grandkids the same, or more opportunity than I had.

Now, back to fishing! Thank loads to the Orvis guy for coming on here and setting things straight!
Old 03-11-2009, 05:35 PM

Ronnie z is on a distinguished road

The beginning of this article gave me a scare.I almost have enough money saved to buy one then i read this,ouch. Well at least there is a happy ending.Made in the usa.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie z View Post
The beginning of this article gave me a scare.I almost have enough money saved to buy one then i read this,ouch. Well at least there is a happy ending.Made in the usa.

I didn't word the question correctly in my first post. It was not the Helios that made its debut in 2008 that I was speaking of. It is the new series of Helios that may be released in 2009 or 2010.

Doesn't really matter now that Orvis has put those rumors to rest.

Enjoy your purchase Ronnie z, it is worth every penny!
Old 03-12-2009, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi James,

Thanks for posting your information about the Helios Rods.

I see this is your first post so welcome to the forum. Please look the forum over. Orvis rods are very popular with many of our members. I hope you stick around and continue to post. If not as a representative of Orvis then as just another fly fisher.

To our other posters. I think we have missed the target with bamboo2's post. The question was would we buy the Helios if it was made overseas. Maybe some of you can address that question for bamboo2 and especially for James. This is a great opportunity to express your views directly to someone in the Orvis organization.

Frank