The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2010, 09:06 AM

jpowder31 is on a distinguished road
Default Please help me choose my new 3 or 4 wt rod!!

I decided to pick up a new, most importantly inexpensive, rod for some of my tight area trout streams and have gotten down to my final choices...

St Croix Imperial 7ft6' 3wt or 4wt

Grey's GRXi 7ft6' 4wt

Elkhorn Traveler 7ft6' 3wt

Elkhorn Western 7ft6' 3wt

Echo Carbon 7ft6' 3wt

Gonna be pairing one of these lucky winner with a Ross Flycast 1 reel.
What are your thoughts? Any other suggestions? Opinions?
Lemme hear em! Thanks very much!
Old 12-16-2010, 11:19 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please help me choose my new 3 or 4 wt rod!!

Sorry. No experience with any of the rods listed.

As another alternative, you may want to look at the Redington Classic Trout in the 7'6" 3 weight configuration. I wrote a review of it here. Some of the forum members are Redington CT owners who could give you testimonials of their rods. I think that the CT is the best value rod that could be found at the $149.95 price point.

MP
Old 12-16-2010, 03:39 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Another stick you might consider is the Ross Essence, I recently purchased the FS 7.5' 4WT for $100 from Cabela's. I believe these rods are being discontinued or changed due to the sale of Ross to SA/3M. It is a 4 piece with a similar action to those listed. A friend of mine loves his Echo carbon 7.5 three. Good luck! milt.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi jpowder31,

Welcome to the forum. You might want to post in the Member Introduction forum and tell us a little bit about your fly fishing.

I don't know any of those rods either. I second MP's suggestion to look at the Redington Classic Trout. I think you would do better with an Allen Fly Fishing reel for less money than you will pay for the Ross Flycast reel. NAFFF members receives a special price.

Frank
Old 12-17-2010, 05:29 PM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

I have the Imperial 7' 6" in a 4 weight. I love it. Great rod for tight spaces. quick, crisp action and very light.
Rich
Old 01-04-2011, 01:20 PM

bjweller has a spectacular aura aboutbjweller has a spectacular aura about

I have a Scott 4 wt-A3 model and I love it. Scott is a fine company and I have found that they always stand behind their products. A friend of mine as the G2 for situations like you described and he raves about it, although I think it is kind of expensive.

Bret

"There comes a time in every man's life when he is either going to go fishing or do something worse."

-Havilah Babcock
Old 01-04-2011, 03:15 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

if your little streams are really tight, go for a 6'6". I have several and never felt undergunned up to and including modest sized streams.
I have a whole slew of "size does matter" things rolling around in my head, but since this is a family forum, will forego them for the general good of the order.
Yours as a model of decorum,
Gary
Old 01-04-2011, 04:57 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

I second the Redington CT awesome rods in my opinion. Its just like the old Sage LL which isn't made any more and is considered by many to be the best trout rod ever made and if you can find them used they often sell for twice what they did new.

I actually keep debating whether to build a new rod or buy another CT, because I really like them.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:53 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

My St. Croix Imperial 4 wt. 8 ft. is my favorite rod. Everyone has a rod they just feel matches themselves better than any other, and for me it's my 4 wt Imperial. It'll cast anything from the tiniest dries to fairly large streamers, but for me, it's the effortless stroke when casting dries that compels me to break the thing out on every outing.

To the point of your question, though, have you test cast all of the rods you mentioned? It would be a good idea, if possible. Just because someone tells you one rod is the greatest, doesn't mean you are going to like it. Textbook example, my buddy picked up the exact same rod I have and he never liked it. It just didn't suit his casting stroke or rhythm or whatever.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

The Redington CT and StC Imperial both sound good, but I would also try out the new Winston Passport if you can find one. They're getting rave reviews, sell for $200 with Winston's full warranty, and they make multiple sizes in both 3 and 4wt.

The 8' 3wt sounds quite appealing to me.

If you're leaning more towards the 4wt, you might also look at Echo's Solo, which sells for $99 but the smallest iteration is a 8.5' 4wt.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.