The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2009, 07:16 PM

mhclayton is on a distinguished road
Default Steffen Bros. Fiberglass Rods

I would like to hear from those of you who have Steffen Bros. fiberglass rods. I am a recent convert to glass, and am trying to decide between their 3/4 weight and the 5/6 weight. I want it for a small river (about 12 feet across) that is fairly swift and can hold brown trout up to 20 inches. This is boulder-strewn pocket water in a rough jungle-like canyon that requires crawling over basalt rocks. I typically fish a weighted nymph set up here, sometimes with a dropper. Streamside brush makes an 8 foot rod about ideal. Any opinions about which might work better? I usually use a 4 weight graphite, but it doesn't load well at such short range. I generally gravitate towards the smaller range of the spectrum, and am tempted to get the 3/4. Thanks for you advice. MC
Old 03-11-2009, 08:18 PM

slicksahd is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Steffen Bros. Fiberglass Rods

I converted to glass last year for small stream light tackle fishing.
Originally considered Steffen but then discovered McFarland.
Ordered a 3wt custom "Spruce Creek" for my 60th BD present to myself.
Check him out. Will customize the rod taper to your desires.
Good Luck,
Steve
Old 03-12-2009, 06:51 AM

KRD will become famous soon enough

Steffen will also custom your rod as well. Both steffen and McFarland are both good glass rods. Personally I would go 3/4
Old 03-12-2009, 07:45 AM

nittspike is on a distinguished road

Have you looked at Performance Fly Rods? Dave Lewis is the builder and he describes the action of each of his glass rods along with a pic. He has been very responsive to my email inquiries. Not trying to steer you away from Steffen Bros, just thought you might like to see other options out there.

Glass Rods

Performance Fly Rods by Dave Lewis
Old 03-12-2009, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Your description of the situation makes me think the 5/6 makes more sense. Or you could go with the 3/4 and get a 5wt line for your 4wt graphite rod for those tight streams.

Steffen bros seems like the best value to me of the custom glass builders, but I've not cast any of those makes.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:15 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Neither of the above rod wrappers make the rod I'm looking for.
Back in the day, rod manufacturers made short, powerful rods that would toss a bushy fly or hopper-dropper rig in small streams with ease.
Now, marketing says we 'need' 2, 1, 0 or even 00 rod weights for small streams. Nothing could be further from the truth.
Who knows, maybe one of the big-dawg rod builders will read this and come out with the next, big, gotta have... 6', 6 1/2', 5 weights!
May I have a downlocker with that please?
Old 04-01-2009, 08:12 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Better late than never. Jack, Mark Steffan or Mike McFarland will make the rod you want.
Dave Lewis builds on Lamiglas blanks. Soft E-glass. I have 4 Lami's.
Mike McFarland builds on E-glass also. He has his own tapers and builds the rods to your specs. I have 3 McFarlands.
Mark Steffan rolls his own. S-glass. Faster than E-glass Lami's and Micky F's' I have a 3/4w that likes 4 w lines. Very smooth, and quite powerful. Right GRN?

mhclayton For the size of water you're talking about, call Steffan and he'll answer all your questions and give you his recomendation. You can't go wrong. A 4/5 might be a rod to think about.
BTW, just because Steffan doesn't have a size or weight you're looking for on his website, doesn't mean he doesn't have them. I don't think the website's been updated in 5 or so years.

Jackster, if you want a poodle throwing rod under 7', talk to either one of these guys.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:52 PM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
better late than never. Jack, mark steffan or mike mcfarland will make the rod you want.
Dave lewis builds on lamiglas blanks. Soft e-glass. I have 4 lami's.
Mike mcfarland builds on e-glass also. He has his own tapers and builds the rods to your specs. I have 3 mcfarlands.
Mark steffan rolls his own. S-glass. Faster than e-glass lami's and micky f's' i have a 3/4w that likes 4 w lines. Very smooth, and quite powerful. Right grn?

mhclayton for the size of water you're talking about, call steffan and he'll answer all your questions and give you his recomendation. You can't go wrong. A 4/5 might be a rod to think about.
Btw, just because steffan doesn't have a size or weight you're looking for on his website, doesn't mean he doesn't have them. I don't think the website's been updated in 5 or so years.

jackster, if you want a poodle throwing rod under 7', talk to either one of these guys.
great advice
Old 04-01-2009, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Mojo, what's yer take on those Eagle Claw glass rods Joni likes? I got one of the 6'6" ones and tried it with a SA Trout WF4F and wasn't thrilled. I think I'm gonna try a 6 on it next time so that I'm actually getting that stout lower section involved in the cast.

Also, what say you experts on the Fenwick FF807? I'm seeing a few on ebay and wondering if it could be the pre-incarnation of the Sage short rods. With how many I'm seeing, I have to wonder if its coincidence or if that was the dog of that product line.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:51 PM

GRN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Very smooth, and quite powerful. Right GRN?
Cough, cough, bite me, cough, cough...

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford