The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   Bamboo rod value question (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/8371-bamboo-rod-value-question.html)

BigSky 03-13-2009 01:57 PM

Bamboo rod value question

I found what appears to be a bamboo fly rod for sale locally. I guess it could be some other type of wood (how the heck would I know). It is a yellowish color with metal connections between the three pieces. I believe the only writing on it is a signature. If I recall correctly the signature was "Gary Bennet". Can anybody give me any guidance on the value of this rod? They want $90 for it.

Joni 03-13-2009 03:50 PM

Re: Bamboo rod value question

Is it octagon or square shaped?

dshort 03-13-2009 04:53 PM

Hard to say what it might be. I've never heard of a Gary Bennet rod. Odds are it probably isn't worth more than what they are asking for it and probably less. Impossible to say without pics of the rod.

BigSky 03-13-2009 09:03 PM

Joni, I believe it is octagonal.

Joni 03-13-2009 10:15 PM

Sounds like bamboo to me. Picture is a must. Is the pieces straight?

BigSky 03-14-2009 09:13 PM

Actually, if memory serves me correctly, the lower third has a bow in it. I'll try to see it again in the next couple of days and check it over with a more discerning eye based on the input you've all provided.

mojo 03-15-2009 08:46 AM

Offer them $20. It almost sounds like a wall hanger at best. With no decals, or other writing on it, who know's where it came from or who built it. Just because it's bamboo, it doesn't mean anything in real life. What does the cork look like, reel seat, guides and wrapping. How long is it?

BigSky 03-16-2009 03:00 PM

I went back to check it out more based on input provided here. They had sold it. Thanks all for the input.

Thomas

mojo 03-16-2009 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigSky (Post 52881)
I went back to check it out more based on input provided here. They had sold it. Thanks all for the input.

Thomas

I think you're better off not buying it.
Are you looking for a bamboo rod to fish or was it just attractive because it was a bamboo rod for under a hundred? Go to ebay. Type in bamboo rods. You'll find a lot more for decent prices. And you'll know who built them.

bamboo fly rod, Sporting Goods, Books items on eBay.com

BigSky 03-17-2009 08:33 AM

Actually, I just thought it may have value far in excess of what they were asking.