The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2009, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Sage -vs- orvis

I'd agree that a Sage RPL would be a good option for a Trout Bum fan seeking out a fast rod. Its known as the rod that made Sage the industry power they are today, and was more recently sold in a slightly more cheaply trimmed rod called the VPS.

Yet another possibility is to get a 6wt. That will work even better in the wind, will throw larger streamers better, and give you a better contrast from your 4wt. Also comes in handy for Kokanee, summer steelhead, bass, and light saltwater work.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:34 PM

krsissell is on a distinguished road

You have received a lot of good advise thus far, but thought I would add one other comment. I inquired about the new Sage TCX at a recent fly fishing show in Atlanta. The gentleman told me that Sage replaced the TCR with the TCX because not everyone could successfully cast the TCR. Not to user friendly. The TCX, in his opinion, is a much better rod and probably the fastest on the market next to the Winston Boron II MX. With that said you ain't goning to get that rod for $400.00 (double it). These rods are fun once you learn to cast them, but in my opinion not all that practical unless you are fishing 8wts and larger in saltwater. Buy something you can cast and learn to double haul to concur your wind problems. Fast line and tight loops will do the trick.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:32 PM

flyrayfishing is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by krsissell View Post
You have received a lot of good advise thus far, but thought I would add one other comment. I inquired about the new Sage TCX at a recent fly fishing show in Atlanta. The gentleman told me that Sage replaced the TCR with the TCX because not everyone could successfully cast the TCR. Not to user friendly. The TCX, in his opinion, is a much better rod and probably the fastest on the market next to the Winston Boron II MX. With that said you ain't goning to get that rod for $400.00 (double it). These rods are fun once you learn to cast them, but in my opinion not all that practical unless you are fishing 8wts and larger in saltwater. Buy something you can cast and learn to double haul to concur your wind problems. Fast line and tight loops will do the trick.
Well Itryed both the SAGE (TCR) & ORVIS (T3) And I am set on the T3.
The sage was like someone said using a broom stick to cast....I bought the 5wt 4pc T3............Now for someone that wants a TCR for $400.00 check
redtruckflyfishing.com
they have the Sage 4pc 5wt 9foot TCR for $399.00 they also have a 6wt.
Again thanks to all of you guys that gave me some advice.....Iam ure I will be picking some of you alls braine for more..
Again THANKS all of you.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:57 PM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about

great choice man! You should really enjoy that rod.

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:34 AM

saltflytyer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
The jump from a Trout Bum to a TCR is likely too huge. The TCR is one of, if not the fastest rod made, and the Trout Bum is WAY at the other end of the spectrum. I would suggest getting a 5wt XP or Z-Axis for a faster rod that will be much easier to cast.

I can't factually say that Orvis makes bad stuff, I just don't like it well enough to keep up with them.

The T3 is a average rod. Orvis used to make average rods. 2 years ago the z axis (one handed not 2) and zxl were superior to all else. Then the helios came out. The Helios is to the sage Z SERIES of rods as the Z series of rods were to other high end rods 2 years ago.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:51 PM

Yea....The ZXL or Orvis Helios is a little more than I want to spend...You have to remember I am new to the game.......So I want to keep it to a min....
But I did try out a Orvis Helos today and they are awsome.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:13 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I just got back from a trip where I did quite a lot of windy condition fishing for larger fish (always what we hope for - right?) with both floating lines and sink-tip lines. I wanted a rod that would really get the line out there in a hurry and would also have reasonable accuracy at 60+ foot distances. After casting a lot of rods at the New Jersry Fly Fishing show at the end of Janauary, I ended up purchasing a Loomis GLX Max 9'0" 6 wt. and it turned out to be a very good choice. It's definitely a very, very stiff rod and I over-lined it with 7 wt. Sharkskin for the floating line; 200-250 grain sink-tip for the other. But, loaded that way, it's a great rod to cast, has a tip that's sensitive enough to let you know when you've got a fish on at a good distance, has gobs of backbone - and it netted a bunch of nice fish for me; which is always a plus.

But........... yesterday I went my local fly shop and "test-casted" Sage's new TCX; also in a 6 wt.; not over-lined. It is one nice rod! I think it has dealt successfully with the "broom handle" characteristics of the old TCR model that it replaced. So, one more "after the fact" vote from me for Sage. But, for the purposes originally described by flyrayfishing, I would choose a 9'0" Z-axis 6 wt.

However, have I ever told anyone how much I like my wife's Winston BIIx 8'6" 5 wt.? It does it all and it feels like a 3 wt. in my hands. For some reason I often times offer to let her cast my Z-Axis when we're fishing one of the larger streams in our area; which, of course means that I "have" to fish her BIIx. She's usually way ahead of me, smiles and knows exactly why I've made the offer; again!
Old 03-23-2009, 09:54 AM

I Had a Sage RPL and a Sage SLT at one time.............I did like the RPL alot it was a great rod or is a great rod.
Anyways they were both were stolen out of my truck...They broke the window and took everything they could.