Sage -vs- orvis

flyrayfishing

Reaction score
First off all I want to say that Iam new to the Forum and thank God for finding it.I have been reading over it and have found alot of usefull tips.
So thanks to all.
What I would like to ask is I have the option to buy a
ORVIS T3
or
SAGE TCR
I have a 4wt TROUT BUM Mid Flex but need a rod for the wind here in WYOMING.
Any thoughts.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

I don't think the rod brand will make as much difference as the flex. I bought a tip flex Orivis TLS rod awhile back to help with the wind. It works really well, but it took some time to get used to. I've fished with a mid-flex Orvis rod for years and that rod is a lot more foregiving when setting the hook or when a fish makes a sudden charge. I think either rod would serve you well, its like buying a Ford or Chevy, just get one stiff enough to toss into the wind.

What part of WY are you from?

Larry

BigCliff

Reaction score
The jump from a Trout Bum to a TCR is likely too huge. The TCR is one of, if not the fastest rod made, and the Trout Bum is WAY at the other end of the spectrum. I would suggest getting a 5wt XP or Z-Axis for a faster rod that will be much easier to cast.

I can't factually say that Orvis makes bad stuff, I just don't like it well enough to keep up with them.

flyrayfishing

Reaction score
Well I just found a TCR for $400.00 bones and thought it was a good price.
But iam a Orvis person but for the $ on the TCR thought of buying it.BUT I would rather get somthing thats going to work and for me..
Iam new at flyfishing.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi flyrayfishing,

I think Cliff is giving you good advice. The TCR is a specialty rod and not suited for everyone. Being a new fly fisher, the TCR would be a poor choice. You would find it very stiff and just not suitable for fishing Montana. If I were you I would keep looking for a different rod.

Frank

dmwphoto

Reaction score
The jump from a Trout Bum to a TCR is likely too huge. The TCR is one of, if not the fastest rod made, and the Trout Bum is WAY at the other end of the spectrum. I would suggest getting a 5wt XP or Z-Axis for a faster rod that will be much easier to cast.

I can't factually say that Orvis makes bad stuff, I just don't like it well enough to keep up with them.
I agree with Cliff's advice and will chime in to also say that factually Orvis makes GREAT stuff. You can buy it with confidence. Like anything you need to do your homework.

dorian.ducker

Reaction score

I just want to 3rd this opinion. The TCR is not the rod you want. IMHO it isn't a very "fishable" rod, more a specialty rod to cast super far as in casting competitions. If you want a Sage fast action rod go with the Flight (best fast action value in market), or the more expensive Z Axis. I have not fished Orvis rods but have heard great things about them from people whose opinions I respect, so a tip flex Orvis rod wouldn't be a bad idea either.

flyrayfishing

Reaction score
Well like I said i have been fishing (fly fishing) for 2 1/2 years now.
I had a Sage RPL 9foot 4wt 4pc when I started and was stolen.
So anyways what about the Orvis T3. Is that as fast as the TCR?

dorian.ducker

Reaction score
With Orvis it doesn't have as much to do with the model as it does the flex rating. If you can get a T3 in a tip flex 9.5 or something, yes that would be a fast rod. Orvis makes all their rods in varying actions (flex rating). I don't think that Orvis makes any rod that is as fast as the TCR. You can get a fast action rod that isn't a TCR that will be able to handle the wind just fine.

SkipS

Reaction score
FWIW,I prefer a medium fast rod over a fast rod for the wind.I fish the salt a lot here and when the wind kicks in,I like my Sage RPL.Its more forgiving and much better in windy conditions.As for the rods you asked about,the easy answer is to cast both and pick the one you like best.Thats the only real way to decide.

BigCliff

Reaction score
I'd agree that a Sage RPL would be a good option for a Trout Bum fan seeking out a fast rod. Its known as the rod that made Sage the industry power they are today, and was more recently sold in a slightly more cheaply trimmed rod called the VPS.

Yet another possibility is to get a 6wt. That will work even better in the wind, will throw larger streamers better, and give you a better contrast from your 4wt. Also comes in handy for Kokanee, summer steelhead, bass, and light saltwater work.

krsissell

Reaction score
You have received a lot of good advise thus far, but thought I would add one other comment. I inquired about the new Sage TCX at a recent fly fishing show in Atlanta. The gentleman told me that Sage replaced the TCR with the TCX because not everyone could successfully cast the TCR. Not to user friendly. The TCX, in his opinion, is a much better rod and probably the fastest on the market next to the Winston Boron II MX. With that said you ain't goning to get that rod for $400.00 (double it). These rods are fun once you learn to cast them, but in my opinion not all that practical unless you are fishing 8wts and larger in saltwater. Buy something you can cast and learn to double haul to concur your wind problems. Fast line and tight loops will do the trick.

flyrayfishing

Reaction score
You have received a lot of good advise thus far, but thought I would add one other comment. I inquired about the new Sage TCX at a recent fly fishing show in Atlanta. The gentleman told me that Sage replaced the TCR with the TCX because not everyone could successfully cast the TCR. Not to user friendly. The TCX, in his opinion, is a much better rod and probably the fastest on the market next to the Winston Boron II MX. With that said you ain't goning to get that rod for $400.00 (double it). These rods are fun once you learn to cast them, but in my opinion not all that practical unless you are fishing 8wts and larger in saltwater. Buy something you can cast and learn to double haul to concur your wind problems. Fast line and tight loops will do the trick.
Well Itryed both the SAGE (TCR) & ORVIS (T3) And I am set on the T3.
The sage was like someone said using a broom stick to cast....I bought the 5wt 4pc T3............Now for someone that wants a TCR for $400.00 check
redtruckflyfishing.com
they have the Sage 4pc 5wt 9foot TCR for $399.00 they also have a 6wt.
Again thanks to all of you guys that gave me some advice.....Iam ure I will be picking some of you alls braine for more..
Again THANKS all of you.

saltflytyer

Reaction score

The T3 is a average rod. Orvis used to make average rods. 2 years ago the z axis (one handed not 2) and zxl were superior to all else. Then the helios came out. The Helios is to the sage Z SERIES of rods as the Z series of rods were to other high end rods 2 years ago.

flyrayfishing

Reaction score
Yea....The ZXL or Orvis Helios is a little more than I want to spend...You have to remember I am new to the game.......So I want to keep it to a min....
But I did try out a Orvis Helos today and they are awsome.

Pocono

Reaction score
I just got back from a trip where I did quite a lot of windy condition fishing for larger fish (always what we hope for - right?) with both floating lines and sink-tip lines. I wanted a rod that would really get the line out there in a hurry and would also have reasonable accuracy at 60+ foot distances. After casting a lot of rods at the New Jersry Fly Fishing show at the end of Janauary, I ended up purchasing a Loomis GLX Max 9'0" 6 wt. and it turned out to be a very good choice. It's definitely a very, very stiff rod and I over-lined it with 7 wt. Sharkskin for the floating line; 200-250 grain sink-tip for the other. But, loaded that way, it's a great rod to cast, has a tip that's sensitive enough to let you know when you've got a fish on at a good distance, has gobs of backbone - and it netted a bunch of nice fish for me; which is always a plus.

But........... yesterday I went my local fly shop and "test-casted" Sage's new TCX; also in a 6 wt.; not over-lined. It is one nice rod! I think it has dealt successfully with the "broom handle" characteristics of the old TCR model that it replaced. So, one more "after the fact" vote from me for Sage. But, for the purposes originally described by flyrayfishing, I would choose a 9'0" Z-axis 6 wt.

However, have I ever told anyone how much I like my wife's Winston BIIx 8'6" 5 wt.? It does it all and it feels like a 3 wt. in my hands. For some reason I often times offer to let her cast my Z-Axis when we're fishing one of the larger streams in our area; which, of course means that I "have" to fish her BIIx. She's usually way ahead of me, smiles and knows exactly why I've made the offer; again! ;)

flyrayfishing

Reaction score
I Had a Sage RPL and a Sage SLT at one time.............I did like the RPL alot it was a great rod or is a great rod.
Anyways they were both were stolen out of my truck...They broke the window and took everything they could.