The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2009, 06:37 AM

flyrayfishing is on a distinguished road
Default Sage -vs- orvis

First off all I want to say that Iam new to the Forum and thank God for finding it.I have been reading over it and have found alot of usefull tips.
So thanks to all.
What I would like to ask is I have the option to buy a
ORVIS T3
or
SAGE TCR
I have a 4wt TROUT BUM Mid Flex but need a rod for the wind here in WYOMING.
Any thoughts.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:11 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sage -vs- orvis

Welcome to the forum!

I don't think the rod brand will make as much difference as the flex. I bought a tip flex Orivis TLS rod awhile back to help with the wind. It works really well, but it took some time to get used to. I've fished with a mid-flex Orvis rod for years and that rod is a lot more foregiving when setting the hook or when a fish makes a sudden charge. I think either rod would serve you well, its like buying a Ford or Chevy, just get one stiff enough to toss into the wind.

What part of WY are you from?

Larry
Old 03-17-2009, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

The jump from a Trout Bum to a TCR is likely too huge. The TCR is one of, if not the fastest rod made, and the Trout Bum is WAY at the other end of the spectrum. I would suggest getting a 5wt XP or Z-Axis for a faster rod that will be much easier to cast.

I can't factually say that Orvis makes bad stuff, I just don't like it well enough to keep up with them.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:52 AM

Well I just found a TCR for $400.00 bones and thought it was a good price.
But iam a Orvis person but for the $ on the TCR thought of buying it.BUT I would rather get somthing thats going to work and for me..
Iam new at flyfishing.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi flyrayfishing,

I think Cliff is giving you good advice. The TCR is a specialty rod and not suited for everyone. Being a new fly fisher, the TCR would be a poor choice. You would find it very stiff and just not suitable for fishing Montana. If I were you I would keep looking for a different rod.

Frank
Old 03-17-2009, 09:33 AM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
The jump from a Trout Bum to a TCR is likely too huge. The TCR is one of, if not the fastest rod made, and the Trout Bum is WAY at the other end of the spectrum. I would suggest getting a 5wt XP or Z-Axis for a faster rod that will be much easier to cast.

I can't factually say that Orvis makes bad stuff, I just don't like it well enough to keep up with them.
I agree with Cliff's advice and will chime in to also say that factually Orvis makes GREAT stuff. You can buy it with confidence. Like anything you need to do your homework.

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:15 AM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post

I just want to 3rd this opinion. The TCR is not the rod you want. IMHO it isn't a very "fishable" rod, more a specialty rod to cast super far as in casting competitions. If you want a Sage fast action rod go with the Flight (best fast action value in market), or the more expensive Z Axis. I have not fished Orvis rods but have heard great things about them from people whose opinions I respect, so a tip flex Orvis rod wouldn't be a bad idea either.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:48 AM

Well like I said i have been fishing (fly fishing) for 2 1/2 years now.
I had a Sage RPL 9foot 4wt 4pc when I started and was stolen.
So anyways what about the Orvis T3. Is that as fast as the TCR?
Old 03-17-2009, 11:11 AM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

With Orvis it doesn't have as much to do with the model as it does the flex rating. If you can get a T3 in a tip flex 9.5 or something, yes that would be a fast rod. Orvis makes all their rods in varying actions (flex rating). I don't think that Orvis makes any rod that is as fast as the TCR. You can get a fast action rod that isn't a TCR that will be able to handle the wind just fine.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:34 AM

SkipS is on a distinguished road

FWIW,I prefer a medium fast rod over a fast rod for the wind.I fish the salt a lot here and when the wind kicks in,I like my Sage RPL.Its more forgiving and much better in windy conditions.As for the rods you asked about,the easy answer is to cast both and pick the one you like best.Thats the only real way to decide.