The North American Fly Fishing Forum


Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-25-2006, 04:42 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 18
Ken43 will become famous soon enoughKen43 will become famous soon enough
Default What happened to Sage DS rods????

I have 4 Sage 9' DS flyrods. I was telling a friend of mine about them. A few days later he said he couldn't find any. I have checked my catalogues and couldn't find them either. Did Sage discontinue the DS rods???
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-25-2006, 05:22 PM
Curtis's Avatar  
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 508
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis
Default Re: What happened to Sage DS rods????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken43
I have 4 Sage 9' DS flyrods. I was telling a friend of mine about them. A few days later he said he couldn't find any. I have checked my catalogues and couldn't find them either. Did Sage discontinue the DS rods???
The DS was discontinued several years ago. They made some improvements to the cosmetics (or at least they thought they did) by putting a wood reel seat in. They also stiffened up the blank a little which I thought was a mistake. The original DS was a very fine rod. They called the new model the DSII. They have now also discontinued this rod as well.

If you want a Sage in that price range, get the Sage Launch. It is an extremely fine rod. I own three of them. It casts better then the DS or the DSII and is nice to look at as well.
__________________
All Means All
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-25-2006, 06:38 PM
fshfanatic's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 982
fshfanatic will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What happened to Sage DS rods????

I love my DSII 902 5wt.. Casts like a dream. Havent casted the Launch yet. But considering I have recently purchased 2 new rods (thanks steve), the wife wife would kill me if I even mentioned getting another.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-25-2006, 08:05 PM
Curtis's Avatar  
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 508
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis
Default Re: What happened to Sage DS rods????

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshfanatic
I love my DSII 902 5wt.. Casts like a dream. Havent casted the Launch yet. But considering I have recently purchased 2 new rods (thanks steve), the wife wife would kill me if I even mentioned getting another.
What she doesn't know won't hurt you! Go check out the Launch. It is super smooth. That DSII of yours is a great rod but you will be real surprised at the difference.
__________________
All Means All
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-25-2006, 10:36 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 18
Ken43 will become famous soon enoughKen43 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What happened to Sage DS rods????

I guess I should have said, I have 3 DS rods and 1 DSII. I sure like them. I can't think of a good reason the wife would go for if, I tell her I need a new rod. I have a short 3-4 weight St. Croix, a 9' 5 wt. Sage, 9' 6 wt. Sage, 9' 7 wt. Sage and a 9' 9 wt. Sage. I have never used the 9 wt., I bought it at a sale when a store went out of business. I thought I might go to Alaska some day and fish for some salmon. That hasn't happened yet. May get a chance to fish for some Strippers this year with it.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01-25-2006, 11:58 PM
fshfanatic's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 982
fshfanatic will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What happened to Sage DS rods????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken43
I guess I should have said, I have 3 DS rods and 1 DSII. I sure like them. I can't think of a good reason the wife would go for if, I tell her I need a new rod. I have a short 3-4 weight St. Croix, a 9' 5 wt. Sage, 9' 6 wt. Sage, 9' 7 wt. Sage and a 9' 9 wt. Sage. I have never used the 9 wt., I bought it at a sale when a store went out of business. I thought I might go to Alaska some day and fish for some salmon. That hasn't happened yet. May get a chance to fish for some Strippers this year with it.
If you are ever in the neighborhood look me up. I can put you on some fish that will give that 9wt a work out!
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01-26-2006, 08:14 AM
BigCliff's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: South Texas
Posts: 4,313
BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: What happened to Sage DS rods????

How do the original DS rods compare to the DSII. I cast the DSII rods while working at a Sage dealer, and I'll agree that they were/are one of the easiest casting rods out there. Felt alot like a VPS/RPL with less power in the lower part of the rod. I would think any fans of those rods would also love the Sage VPS Light rods that are being discontinued and on sale right now.
__________________
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 01-26-2006, 10:04 AM
fshfanatic's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 982
fshfanatic will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What happened to Sage DS rods????

I have a VPS 902 4wt and it is a great rod.. They discontinued the VPS? Those *******s!
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 01-26-2006, 11:07 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 18
Ken43 will become famous soon enoughKen43 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What happened to Sage DS rods????

To be honest I can't tell much difference between the DS and the DSII. My DSII is a 6 wt. I know it does a better job in the wind than the 5 wt. DS does but I thought that was because it was heavier.
Fishfanatic what part of the country are you in???
I am in the San Joaquin Valley in CA. In the Fresno area.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 01-26-2006, 12:07 PM
fshfanatic's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 982
fshfanatic will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What happened to Sage DS rods????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken43
To be honest I can't tell much difference between the DS and the DSII. My DSII is a 6 wt. I know it does a better job in the wind than the 5 wt. DS does but I thought that was because it was heavier.
Fishfanatic what part of the country are you in???
I am in the San Joaquin Valley in CA. In the Fresno area.
I am in the Pheonix Az area. I have brusier Largemouths & Smallies, Stripers, and with a 5 hr drive we could be in Mexico!

I grew up in the Bay Area..
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Favorite number of rod pieces? Piscator Forum Polls 74 08-11-2014 06:26 AM
BLACK GNATS & THE ***** CREEK - By Tony Bulat Fish Bones Coldwater Articles 0 07-03-2005 07:31 AM
You are there: D-Day, the 6th of June 1944 dougm The Lodge Den 2 07-01-2005 09:15 PM
End Of June Deerfield atlaw Northeast 0 06-25-2005 02:29 PM
Speeding-Up Fish Boy The Fly Cast 2 02-18-2005 01:23 PM













All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
2005-2014 The North American Fly Fishing Forum. All rights reserved.