The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2009, 06:23 PM

HookEmHorns will become famous soon enough
Default Good Travel Rod?

Hey y'all,
This summer, I am going on a trip to Colorado for a class for school. There are about 15 people going on this trip as well, so there is going to be little space for anything on the two big vans that we will take. I think that we are going to be camping most of the nights, and I don't really know if we will have a ton of free time to fish or anything. but if I can figure out what we are doing, I am wanting to look into fishing a little bit while I am out there...

My question is:
Has anyone used the Orvis Frequent Flier rod? I was either going to look at the 6 wt or the 8 wt. I don't know how good these rods are, but the ratings on the site look pretty good.

Are there any other rods that would be able to break down and put into a duffel bag?
And what kind of reel would be good for this rod?

Thanks a ton guys,
HookEmHorns
Old 03-19-2009, 06:35 PM

MBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Good Travel Rod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookEmHorns View Post
My question is:
Has anyone used the Orvis Frequent Flier rod? I was either going to look at the 6 wt or the 8 wt. I don't know how good these rods are, but the ratings on the site look pretty good.
I purchased a 3 wt ~ 6 months ago for myself when Orvis had them on sale for ~$160. The rod casts, balances, and looks as good as rods I own that cost 2x more. Today I ordered a 5 wt for my wife. We intend to use them on a 5 day float & fly fishing trip this fall. I first heard of the Orvis Frequent Flyer rods from John Gulley, Orvis Guide of the ~1998, major fly casting pro, etc., etc.--he and his wife both own them.

Quote:
And what kind of reel would be good for this rod?
I use a G.Loomis Eastfork 3/4.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:45 PM

HookEmHorns will become famous soon enough

Thanks!
I had no clue about those rods. I have a 2-piece and a 3-piece rod, but I don't have enough room for that on my trip.
I don't really have a great idea on what I will be doing on that trip, but hopefully they give us a little bit of time to do some stuff around the campsite or something. At least I could keep it in my Jeep even if I don't get to use it on the trip!

Thanks again,
HookEmHorns
Old 03-19-2009, 07:44 PM

MBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookEmHorns View Post
Thanks!
I had no clue about those rods. I have a 2-piece and a 3-piece rod, but I don't have enough room for that on my trip.
I don't really have a great idea on what I will be doing on that trip, but hopefully they give us a little bit of time to do some stuff around the campsite or something. At least I could keep it in my Jeep even if I don't get to use it on the trip!

Thanks again,
HookEmHorns
I forgot to mention that "A Marblehead Flyfisher", the Orvis shop in Centerville, DE, as of this afternoon has a 6 wt Orvis Frequent Flyer in their bargin bin. Phone # is 302-654-6515. I think the price was $160 but verify that one.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:28 PM

fishosopher is on a distinguished road

Cabela's Stowaway 7 is a wonderful travel rod at a great price. (Don't get the Stowaway 5; the 7's got much superior graphite). Casts like (almost) a fast action rod, breaks down into 7 pieces and I believe it's under $200. It's discussed in more detail elseware on the forum.
We're all in the same boat. We all come 'ere and we don't know why. We all go in our turn and we don't know where. If you are a bit better off, be thankful. And if you don't get into trouble an' make a fool of yourself, well, be thankful for that,'cos you easily might.--J.B.Priestley
Old 03-20-2009, 06:46 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

My recommendation would be for one of the March Brown 7 piece rods.

Fly Fishing - Fly Rods, Fly Fishing Rods, Fly Fishing Flies

I carry one of their Hidden Waters series rods in the saddlebags on my bike. Collapsed it's 14" long and in the cordova carry case it's only 15" long. It's a 7'6" 4 wt. and when I'm cruising along and see that "hidden" stream, I just "un-hide" it, park the bike and go fishing! Now we're talking. Paired with a Lamson Lightspeed 1.5, floating line and a dozen flies I'm set for the day!
Old 03-21-2009, 12:29 AM

saltflytyer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
My recommendation would be for one of the March Brown 7 piece rods.

Fly Fishing - Fly Rods, Fly Fishing Rods, Fly Fishing Flies

I carry one of their Hidden Waters series rods in the saddlebags on my bike. Collapsed it's 14" long and in the cordova carry case it's only 15" long. It's a 7'6" 4 wt. and when I'm cruising along and see that "hidden" stream, Ijust "un-hide" it, park the bike and go fishing! Nohw we're talking. Paired with a Lamson Lightspeed 1.5, floating line and a dozen flies I'm set for the day!

March Brown are very good rods. Too bad they arent bought out by someone who can give good customer service. Not only can you try to email them and call them for months without a response, but GOD FORBID IF YOU BUY DIRECT FROM THEIR SITE!!! They have a "lets jack up the price by 2X so we can always sell rods to sierra trading post at 1/2 off and make a good profit". Dont believe me?

Go to marchbrown.com and look at the price of the 7 and 10 piece executive perormance. $810. Then go to Bear's Den Fly Fishing Co.. (March Brown Executive Performance Series at BEARSDEN.COM). Price? $500? Nope. $400? Nope. $349.99. That is a retailer who buys the rod at wholesale from march brown. So March Brown is selling the rod to bearsde somewhere around $200 (give or take $50 since I dont know the exact number)

Also, March brown has a history of what I consider "bad ethics". There was a web site called something like travelflyrods.com. Presented itself as a unbiased summary of fly rods. This was about 5 years ago, Sage XP, TFO, G loomis,all got 1-3 stars. Every single March Brown rod oddly enough got *5* stars! Also oddly enough, someone noticed that the web site was registered to the same person who registered the marchbrown.com web site. This clearly strikes me as bad ethics.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:07 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltflytyer View Post
March Brown are very good rods. Too bad they arent bought out by someone who can give good customer service. Not only can you try to email them and call them for months without a response, but GOD FORBID IF YOU BUY DIRECT FROM THEIR SITE!!! They have a "lets jack up the price by 2X so we can always sell rods to sierra trading post at 1/2 off and make a good profit". Dont believe me?

Go to marchbrown.com and look at the price of the 7 and 10 piece executive perormance. $810. Then go to Bear's Den Fly Fishing Co.. (March Brown Executive Performance Series at BEARSDEN.COM). Price? $500? Nope. $400? Nope. $349.99. That is a retailer who buys the rod at wholesale from march brown. So March Brown is selling the rod to bearsde somewhere around $200 (give or take $50 since I dont know the exact number)

Also, March brown has a history of what I consider "bad ethics". There was a web site called something like travelflyrods.com. Presented itself as a unbiased summary of fly rods. This was about 5 years ago, Sage XP, TFO, G loomis,all got 1-3 stars. Every single March Brown rod oddly enough got *5* stars! Also oddly enough, someone noticed that the web site was registered to the same person who registered the marchbrown.com web site. This clearly strikes me as bad ethics.
Saltflytyer,

You're right about the pricing on the March Brown rods. I also did the comparison shopping and ended up purchasing my rod from a retailer rather than from the March Brown site. My pricing was actually in the mid-$200's.

As far as quality is concerned, I like my rod. For a 7 piece rod to hold together after some of the whacks that it's received in the past couple of years as I wind my way up through rocks, tree stumps and dense rhododendrons is, I think, a pretty good positive testimony to the way that the rods are constructed. I'm also impressed by the way the rod feel when I'm casting it. A lot of times with a multi-piece rod, there's a "sectional" feel to it; almost a pregressive flexing. The March Brown rod that I have doesn't have this kind of sectionality. It feels like a one piece rod when it's casted.

Now, if I was looking for a 6-8 wt. rod, as orignially posted by HookEmHorns, then it might be a different story in terms of the sectional feel of the rod. Heavier rods will put more strain on the ferrules between the sections and it's possible that this could lead to some casting issues. But, I have no experience with the higher weight March Brown rods, so I don't know if this would be an issue or not. As above, it's not an issue with my 4 wt.

As far as business ethics are concerned, I have no direct data points on this this, so I really can't comment on it.

But I do know that as of now my March Brown rod is staying exactly where I have it; in my saddlebag and ready to help me explore the next stream that I uncover. I'm sure it will see it's share of water time again this year - and maybe a good fish, or two!
Old 03-24-2009, 02:51 PM

Globaloption is on a distinguished road

The Orvis Frequent Flyer is made in China. A big non-plus for me.