The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2009, 06:26 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Has anyone fished the TFO Axion?

Hi guys,

I have a 9WT TFO TiCrX and I love it. Its always my go to rod. I'm now in the market for a 7WT and TFO now has the Axiom series. The website states that this new rod has carbon fiber woven into the blank. Does this make for faster action or just a lighter, stronger rod? I hate to skip over a series that I have no complaints about just to buy the latest thing... but maybe its an improvement. Someone help me spend my money please.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:43 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Has anyone fished the TFO Axion?

maybe it makes for a new purchase! lol isn't a graphite rod the same as "carbon fiber"?

hey, if i was youse, i'd jump on that axiom. i mean, look at the way i buy fly lines! every 2-3 major ad campaigns.

eric
fresno, ca.

(i think i've been posting too much lately. chuckling...)
Old 03-26-2009, 01:59 AM

Armando will become famous soon enough

Hi

The TICR is the fastest rod they make faster than TICRX and so I believe, actually the AXIOM which I thinks is beautiful and fast as well is a little bit heavier than the TICR.
I want to cast the AXIOMS first and let me feel them before I buy, I saw them but couldnt cast any.
You should do that and then decide.

Best regards
Old 03-26-2009, 05:35 AM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

I used my new 8wt Axiom for the first time earlier this week and really liked it. Bought it at a fly fishing show in February after casting it in the building. Let me preface this by saying I've only been casting a couple years so my frame of reference is not that wide.

I've loaded my Axiom's with Sharkskin GPX and it shoots line amazingly well. I guess what hooked me at the show was the distance I could get with very little effort, minimal false casting, and no problem with accuracy. Thankfully, it performed as well on the water. The distance may be partly the Sharkskin, but I feel like the rod is a big part of the equation. I know, distance isn't everything, but I got it with flats fishing in mind and a little length ain't a bad thing. The rod is heavy, though, the 8wt coming in at a beefy 5.5 ounces, but I figure that it cuts my false casts in half (not that I false cast a lot anyway) making the work weight actually 2.75 ounces.

It's a pretty fast rod, but not a plank like some I've tried. My workhorse is a Winston IM6 6wt, not something you'd consider particularly fast, and I had no problem switching between the two.

A more experienced friend got a 6wt Axiom and loves it. He said the only downside is that his pricier rods suffered by comparison. While at the show, I had on a TFO hat and one the the fly tiers commented how he had just fished bonefish for a week in Belieze with an Axiom 8wt and thoroughly enjoyed it. (Made me feel better about the purchase I had made not 30 minutes earler). From a rod per dollar perspective, I think the Axiom's hard to beat. I don't wish to get into the whole made in America discussion, but the TFOs are sourced offshore, if that is important to you.

And I believe it's Kevlar that's woven into the rod so I guess you can fend off bullets with it. Supposed to make it resist ovaling when flexing, I expect making it more lively and consistent. It may be just marketing, but I like the feel.

Finally, if it's good enough for Lefty, it's good enough for me.

Sep
Old 03-26-2009, 07:09 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sep View Post
Finally, if it's good enough for Lefty, it's good enough for me.

Sep
TFO pays you too?
Old 03-26-2009, 07:37 AM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
TFO pays you too?
I wish....