Has anyone fished the TFO Axion?

swirlchaser

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a 9WT TFO TiCrX and I love it. Its always my go to rod. I'm now in the market for a 7WT and TFO now has the Axiom series. The website states that this new rod has carbon fiber woven into the blank. Does this make for faster action or just a lighter, stronger rod? I hate to skip over a series that I have no complaints about just to buy the latest thing... but maybe its an improvement. Someone help me spend my money please.

ezamora

Reaction score
maybe it makes for a new purchase! lol isn't a graphite rod the same as "carbon fiber"?

hey, if i was youse, i'd jump on that axiom. i mean, look at the way i buy fly lines! every 2-3 major ad campaigns.

eric
fresno, ca.

(i think i've been posting too much lately. chuckling...)

Armando

Reaction score
Hi

The TICR is the fastest rod they make faster than TICRX and so I believe, actually the AXIOM which I thinks is beautiful and fast as well is a little bit heavier than the TICR.
I want to cast the AXIOMS first and let me feel them before I buy, I saw them but couldnt cast any.
You should do that and then decide.

Best regards

Sep

Reaction score
I used my new 8wt Axiom for the first time earlier this week and really liked it. Bought it at a fly fishing show in February after casting it in the building. Let me preface this by saying I've only been casting a couple years so my frame of reference is not that wide.

I've loaded my Axiom's with Sharkskin GPX and it shoots line amazingly well. I guess what hooked me at the show was the distance I could get with very little effort, minimal false casting, and no problem with accuracy. Thankfully, it performed as well on the water. The distance may be partly the Sharkskin, but I feel like the rod is a big part of the equation. I know, distance isn't everything, but I got it with flats fishing in mind and a little length ain't a bad thing. The rod is heavy, though, the 8wt coming in at a beefy 5.5 ounces, but I figure that it cuts my false casts in half (not that I false cast a lot anyway) making the work weight actually 2.75 ounces. :icon_roll

It's a pretty fast rod, but not a plank like some I've tried. My workhorse is a Winston IM6 6wt, not something you'd consider particularly fast, and I had no problem switching between the two.

A more experienced friend got a 6wt Axiom and loves it. He said the only downside is that his pricier rods suffered by comparison. While at the show, I had on a TFO hat and one the the fly tiers commented how he had just fished bonefish for a week in Belieze with an Axiom 8wt and thoroughly enjoyed it. (Made me feel better about the purchase I had made not 30 minutes earler). From a rod per dollar perspective, I think the Axiom's hard to beat. I don't wish to get into the whole made in America discussion, but the TFOs are sourced offshore, if that is important to you.

And I believe it's Kevlar that's woven into the rod so I guess you can fend off bullets with it. :icon_smil Supposed to make it resist ovaling when flexing, I expect making it more lively and consistent. It may be just marketing, but I like the feel.

Finally, if it's good enough for Lefty, it's good enough for me.

Sep