The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2009, 12:26 PM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Sage RPL series Rod ??

Frank PM sent.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:56 AM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

Frank
Nice talking to you and for the deal on the Ross EVO. It is going to look good on that Sage. Look forward to seeing those WollyBuggers.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:51 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

The deal just got better: I decided to send it overnight...told you I hated to
wait for things in the mail, and Priority would actually be 4 days since it's
Friday . It's guaranteed to be there by 3pm, so sit by the mailbox .

I'll email the USPS tracking number to you.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:52 PM

Frank
You are definitley the man. I can hit Urban Anglers tomorrow afternoon and be at the bass pond in the evening throwing those Buggers. Thanks a bunch!!!
Old 04-24-2009, 01:27 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't argue with that...LOL ! After we spoke last night, it became apparent that the new rod and reel had to meet this weekend .
Old 06-12-2009, 03:39 PM

alright4u is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Sage RPL series Rod ??

Read the comments on RPL, RPL+ etc.

Frankly, I would state the RPL is a fine rod . I still have a 590 RPL that I use on eastern tailwaters of medium size. I still love to cast a Winston IM6 in 8' 6" 5 weight. However,when I go out west to big rivers with the wind blowing and one needs to cast some lead on early season nymping, I like a 6 weight with at least the tip action of the RPL or stiffer.

I think rods depend on your casting style, what you are fishing for, what you are casting, the stream /river size, the weather etc.

I have a Scott GFL in 4 weight that is sweet rod. I have a Sage 690 XP and and an old 7 weight bamboo rod that is fun to fish with.

I do not know the answers about the best rod. I learned on old 7 weight cane rods and then a Fenwick FF 857.

Just an older man who apprecaites the sport. Perhaps, someone could tell me why I am not impressed with the 690 XP with a Rio Gold 6 wt?

Perhaps, it is me, as I prefer the RPL.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:48 PM

GRN will become famous soon enough

I fished at least a dozed different XP demo's over the course of several seasons, and they didn't do much for me. I have owned at least one of every sage model, except the XP.... never found one I liked, not even at pro pricing.

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford
Old 07-16-2009, 07:47 PM

Lightbulb Re: Sage RPL series Rod ??

The finest Sage I ever cast for those who like to really to generate line speed was an SP. There is something special about an SP. Most SP owners do not sell their rods. I saw two 490's on Ebay today. One was never fished.

I just do not use 4 weights in that length.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:30 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alright4u View Post
...someone could tell me why I am not impressed with the 690 XP with a Rio Gold 6 wt?
From what I have read, you like rods that flex more toward the mid-section (RPL, SP, Winston IM6). The Sage XP is a tip flex rod. Also you are using the wrong line. You are better off with a Rio Grand which is uplined by 1/2 a line weight. If you like the taper of the Rio Gold, you will have to upline to a 7 weight line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alright4u View Post
Most SP owners do not sell their rods.
I'm one of the few who sold his SP. The action of the rod didn't match my stroke. The ZXL feels a tad quicker (but not too quick). I ended selling the SP to a friend. He's very happy with it.

MP
Old 07-18-2009, 09:58 AM

"I'm one of the few who sold his SP. The action of the rod didn't match my stroke. The ZXL feels a tad quicker (but not too quick). I ended selling the SP to a friend. He's very happy with it."

You are correct about rods and casting stroke.

What prompted me to buy the XP was I found three rods in the second bedroom closet with the caps off the rod tubes, and; all three had the tippet section broke in eactly the same place. I wanted to fish the next AM day and take some time off. The Scott, which was in a different closet, was not broken. I think I know who broke them. I am not going to tell manufacturers BS stories how three rod tippet sections just broke.

Sage was straight up on repairs. The cost was $50 to replace the tippet section on the 590 RPL. I got it yesterday. The Winston is repaired and is with UPS on it's way. The price was much higher, just less then 1/2 of what the rod retailed for!

My impressionion is that Sage is better suited to withstand the ecomomy. One might wonder why I would pay that much to repair a Winston 586-3? I have my reasons.

The XP needed the Rio Grand, plus I had to adjust my casting stroke for the rod. Your remarks and email were dead on. I just liked the way the SP cast when I cast a demo outside a pro shop years ago. .I seem to recall it was 4 weight and either 7 or 7.5 feet. I also fished an SP for about five- ten minutes on the Clinch River in east TN during the pale sulpur hatch. I liked it. I think the SP's were about $430-$495 new? I believe the RPL was $330 new? The Winston IM6 was about $500. The XP's are $585, unless you go to Cabela's.

It appears some are looking for used rod advice on this site. Based on the repair price difference, and ease of calling Sage and talking to the right person for status, I do not think one can go wrong with a Sage taken care of. The Winston cane rod I liked was 3K from last year's catelog. Just my .02.