The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2009, 11:03 AM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough
Default Sage RPL series Rod ??

I am looking at a used Sage RPL series rod. Any feedback on the quality and performance of these rods would be appreciated.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Sage RPL series Rod ??

Hi Tracker12,

The Sage RPL are great rods. I think they are the rods that put Sage on the map. I think they would be a good choice. Here is a link to a FAQ on how to select a used rod.

All of my Sage rods are RPL or RPL+ rods. Some like the XP better than the RPL. The XP replaced the RPL series. These rods don't use the latest technology and materials so they will be a bit heavier than some recent rods. Definitely a good choice in the 8wt and up rods. My favorite trout rod is a 5wt, 9'6" RPL+ rod. These are medium-fast to fast action rods.

Frank
Old 03-27-2009, 12:22 PM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

I steelhead fished with a 10' 8wt RPL and liked the rod very much. I have a line on a 8'6' 5wt RPL and was looking at that for a trout rod.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:19 PM

SkipS is on a distinguished road

I have 2 RPL's,an 890-4 that I built about 20 years ago and a 690-4 that is my favorite bass rod.The 890 gets fished in the salt on a regular basis and the 690 has seen many outings for SMB on the Potomac and Susquehanna rivers.You just cant go wrong with an RPL.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:17 PM

Good news. I think I am going to try and negociate for the rod I found.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:14 PM

GRN will become famous soon enough

Go for it. Many feel that they created a new bench mark in graphite in their time, and for a while beyond. The RPL blank was also used in the VPS with less glitzy trimmings. Heavier than more recent models, but in many ways more dynamic than many newer rods as well because they seem to change yet still play well with different lines. I still have 476-4, 590-4, and a 686. The RPL is med-fast, the RPL+ is a tomato stake (I used to have a 790-4 and 996-4 which caught the pig in my avatar pic) which all anglers I know who have fished them found they perform best when over lined.

TL's~

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford
Old 03-29-2009, 09:34 AM

So are you saying that the RPL+ is not as desirable as the Original RPL
Old 03-29-2009, 10:58 AM

rag will become famous soon enough

I'm selling one if you are interested...............

Sage GFL 1090 3 RPLX Graphite III
9 ft, 10 wt, 5 oz, 3 piece. Includes Sage sock and tube.
Rod is in new condition with no detectable signs of any use.

610 698 9937
Old 03-31-2009, 07:55 AM

So when I look at rods I see some with the designation RPL, RPL+ and RPLX. What are the differnces and are some better than others?
Old 03-31-2009, 08:23 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Tracker12,

It is not about one rod being better than the other rods. If I remember correctly they are all built with graphite III. The difference is in the action and flex of the rods. The RPL is more of a medium-fast action and the + and X are faster action with mostly a tip flex and stiffer.

Frank