The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2009, 10:04 PM

Bigslugger is on a distinguished road
Default First Fly Rod

Hey guys new to this forum. Like to say "Hello" to start off.
Well right now Im very interested in the sport/hobby of fly fishing, my grandparents did it all their lives, and I have always have had the urge to start. I am in the market for my first fly rod. An all around rod/reel for Minnesota (Panfish, Crappies, Bass).

I've been looking around the past few days and have found the Cabelas LST 4 piece, 9ft, 6wt. with RLS reel. It comes with Mastery GPX fly line with Cabelas Prestige Backing. It also comes with a case for $280.

It seems like a nice combo and all, well from a beginners stand points.

I would like your input. I would be willing to spend around $400 w/ line on my first rod. The cheaper beginner rods don't appeal me at all. I want this rod to be one I can use until I become a Advanced Fly Fisher.

All the help would be great!
Brandon
Old 03-31-2009, 04:04 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: First Fly Rod

Brandon,

I'd suggest maybe going with a 4 or 5 weight outfit if you are primarily fishing for pan fish and up north bass.

The only other suggestion I'd make, rather than put all of your fishing budget into one outfit, you may want to consider two outfits. That way you'd be prepared to fish a wider range of waters, species and conditions.

The quality of most intermediately priced equipment is really good, I can guarantee it's much better than the equipment your grand parents used. (I know, I'm an old geezer). Your grandparents enjoyed the sport with the equipment they had, and so will you.

Have fun,

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 03-31-2009, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I would suggest a 9' 5wt Scott A3 rod, a Lamson Konic reel, and a SA GPX line. That will run closer to $500 though.

For a sub $400, switch the rod to an ECHO classic, TFO TiCR, St. Croix's Imperial, or an Albright A5. I've only got personal experience with the first two, but have seen lots of raving reviews about the latter two.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:32 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Brandon,
Speaking as someone who's fly fished all my life, I can tell you it's not the gear that you use, it's how often you put it to use.
Becoming an "Advanced Fly Fisher" has nothing to do with how much you spend.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:39 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I was fishing with a younger guy yesterday afternoon, and he was using
a plastic reel and no-name $30 rod. He out-fished everyone in the 3.5 hrs
we were there....by far! I had some a rod in the back of our Jeep that is
very nice, but something we don't use much any more. I think this guy may
have been a student at one of the local colleges, and had considered giving
him the rod. Seeing that his casting and catching were excellent already, I
decided not to mess up a good thing........
Old 03-31-2009, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Bigslugger,

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of fly fishing. Since you are fishing for Bass I think a 6wt would be a good choice. It will be a bit more than you need for Bluegill and Crappy. If Bass is not your primary target you could get a 5wt. Here is an outfit that you won't grow out of for some time.

Rod: Redington RS4 6wt, 4piece $199.00
Reel: Ross Flyrise Reel (Cast/Machined) $100
Fly Line: RIO Grand or SA GPX WF 6wt. $70
Total Cost: $369

I have seen the RIO Grand on sale at some locations. This outfit is available from the Forum Fly Shop with a 21 day free trial. You can return any or all of it if you are not satisfied. With free shipping and personal service if you give Todd a call at 937-434-8472, M-F, 9am to 6pm. The Forum Fly Shop helps support this great forum.

Frank

Redington RS4
Click the image to open in full size.
larger image REDINGTON RS4 9064 FLY ROD (9'0", 6WT, 4PC)

$199.00

REDINGTON RS4 SERIES FLY ROD

New for 2008, Redingtons RS4 packs powerful fast action into every ounce at a price that won't take your breath away. Built on a premium Toray graphite blank from 51 million modulus, and boasting a beautifully distinctive moss color, the Redington RS4 fly rod is firm and crisp, without being ridiculously stiff. Designed as a premium, high end rod the RS4 includes high quality pac bay guides, a laser engraved reel seat, Redington rod case, and Lifetime Warranty. Inspired by the award winning Core Performance Series fly rods, the RS4 outshines most fly rods that cost 2 to 3 times as much. Redington has once again proven how to pack high end performance into a mid priced rod. For experienced fly fishers everywhere, the RS4 is certain to be one of your favorite rods.

REDINGTON RS4 FLY ROD FEATURES:

* Beautiful, distinctive moss-colored blank made with high-end 51- million modulus Toray graphite
* Powerful, crisp fast action produces increases line speeds and casting distance
* Highest quality AAA grade Portuguese cork handle
* Pac Bay Aluminum Oxide stripping guides
* Laser engraved machined aluminum with moss colored graphite insert (Handle A) and laser engraved anodized machined aluminum on saltwater models (Handle B)
* Alignment dots with length and line designations labeled on each section above ferrule
* Backed by the Redington Lifetime Warranty

FREE SHIPPING TO US & CANADA!

Ross Flyrise Reel
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:25 PM

Bigslugger is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone for all your input so far. It is much appreciated.

I went to the local library and borrowed a bunch of book on fly fishing to help me figure out the right way to go also.

In my original post I mentioned the Cabela's LST combo, does anyone recommend it?
Old 04-01-2009, 03:37 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

To be honest, there are very few "bad" rods on the market today. If you stick with a reputable name brand, you'll end up with a serviceable rod. Everyone has slightly different styles and tastes. This rod is going to feel slightly better to this guy, that rod is going to feel slightly better to that gal.

The dirty secret is that if you really get into fly fishing, you WILL end up with more than one rod. As a matter of fact, you'll end up with more than you will actually need.

Get a medium price outfit and start fishing. You'll develop you own opinions and biases.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 04-01-2009, 04:54 AM
DaveP63 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post
To be honest, there are very few "bad" rods on the market today. If you stick with a reputable name brand, you'll end up with a serviceable rod. Everyone has slightly different styles and tastes. This rod is going to feel slightly better to this guy, that rod is going to feel slightly better to that gal.

The dirty secret is that if you really get into fly fishing, you WILL end up with more than one rod. As a matter of fact, you'll end up with more than you will actually need.

Get a medium price outfit and start fishing. You'll develop you own opinions and biases.
That is right on the money...+1
Old 04-01-2009, 08:49 PM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about

I have tried the cabelas the cabelas LST 3 weight...i liked it....i bought it, and it broke. Cabelas has a great return policy, so i decided to upgrade to s Sage TXL...This is out of your price range by quite a bit, but some good options in my opinion would be:

TFO Series One: 110$
TFO Professional: 150$
St. Croix Avid: 210-250$

As far as reels go, lamsons have a great drag system, at around 120, you can get a Lamson Konic that has the same drag as their 300$ reels...

As far as line, I think a RIO Gold or Grand would do great.