The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2009, 05:34 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Orvis Bamboo Rod Question

Sure is purdy, but 2 more days.....and already at $400+ good luck on that one.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:35 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Joni,
I looked at the ZHU rods when you mentioned them a couple months ago, but
it's the whole Orvis nostalgia thing that makes me want bamboo. I was at
a very nice Orvis shop yesterday, and was wiggling their selection of used
boo. I asked the owner's daughter if she ever fished a bamboo rod, and she
said, "No. I think it's a pride of ownership thing." I know she was raised on
FF'ing, and was kind of surprised by that response. Actually, the owner told
me that he feels graphite performs better than bamboo, but bamboo just
has that magic that some people need.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:49 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I get the nostalgia thing and love my Orvis. But back when Pete posted $150. Bamboo, Pocono and myself started thinking about it. I had a Tea Stick a few years back and absolutely loved it. I sold it to an Alaskan and it hurt to do so, but I need the money for this custom I am having built.
Pocono had bad experience with Bamboo knock offs so was leary, but $150.!!! I couldn't resist. I am soooo surprised with it.
By the way, it is what I caught old whitie on

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:13 PM

dshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura about

Frank, that Battenkill is going to go for more because of the extra tip and the lighter weight. In my other post, I said my 99 was 3 3/8 ounce but now that I look at the tube, it's a 3 3/4 and it's definitely a DT 5 for me. That's why I said that Madison was probably a 6 weight.

If you definitely want an Orvis, I would go over and post a "wanted to buy" ad on the Classic Rod forum. You'll get a bunch of responses and I bet you can get a 7.5' 3 3/4 ounce 1 tip rod for around $400. I don't think you can go wrong with an old Orvis...that impregnated finish is bullet proof and they are a sweet casting rod. I fish mine hard and I can't see any difference in the condition since they day I bought it.

Dan
Old 04-03-2009, 07:38 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Well....a Z-Axis is $700, so the Orvis with 2 tips might be a deal. I'll have to
wait and see. The local Orvis shop has several used bamboo rods, but I always spend too much time talking, and not enough looking at the rods.
The prices range from $500-$900, and the makers are Orvis and other
American sounding names ( ).
Old 04-03-2009, 07:59 PM

$500. to $900. sounds like a sweet deal.
I questioned Orvis when I bought my boos about Warranty. As you know, there really isn't one other than manufacturer defect, but I was surprised when they said they pro rate the repair and a new tip section was like $175. That is do-able for sure and makes it a little easier to fish them. Not that I am prone to break rods but a classic you kinda need that security.