The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2010, 11:22 PM

blackbear will become famous soon enough
Default Sage TXL 7'10" 4wt or winston BIIx 8' 4wt

Im deciding on which lighter 4wt to go with...I have never casted the 8' winston. How do they compare?
Old 12-30-2010, 07:41 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sage TXL 7'10" 4wt or winston BIIx 8' 4wt

One vote here for the BIIx 8' 4 wt.; if you can still get them. They've been phased out to make room for the new BIIIx's.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:16 AM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

The Biix has more backbone, so I think it is more flexible in how you can use it. I had that exact rod and was able to throw everything from tiny dry flies to small streamers with it. I think the TXL is more limited to handling dry flies - just my opinion.....let me clarify - you can throw small streamers with the TXL, but it is more difficult to cast them very far.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:14 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Well....if you're going to look at the Winston Borons, take a look at the Sage ZXL rods. The ZXL 4wt's are great with both drys, streamers, and nymphs. Using a 4 1/2 wt line makes tossing heavier stuff easy with the ZXL, and a line like SA's Mastery Trout delivers dry flies very delicately, in close or out far, and handles wind nicely.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:11 PM

blackbear will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
Well....if you're going to look at the Winston Borons, take a look at the Sage ZXL rods. The ZXL 4wt's are great with both drys, streamers, and nymphs. Using a 4 1/2 wt line makes tossing heavier stuff easy with the ZXL, and a line like SA's Mastery Trout delivers dry flies very delicately, in close or out far, and handles wind nicely.
I would actually like the ZXL more...this rod wont be used much though so I wanted to stay in a certain price point. I noticed the txl had a faster action for a lighter rod and no one local has any more bIIx's in that length in stock. I found some on line though.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:10 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

If you can get the Winston TMF (Tom Morgan Favorite) I still believe that is the finest Eight foot four ever made. The WT rods have a lot more hidden reserve power then the B IIX's which can fold sometimes.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:57 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by burk48237 View Post
The WT rods have a lot more hidden reserve power then the B IIX's which can fold sometimes.
Fold sometimes? What does that mean?
Old 01-02-2011, 11:12 AM

bjweller has a spectacular aura aboutbjweller has a spectacular aura about

I agree with Frank on the Sage rods.

"There comes a time in every man's life when he is either going to go fishing or do something worse."

-Havilah Babcock