The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 08:49 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hardy Zenith wins Yellowstone Angler shootout!

Thanks Burk. I don't have any problem with products made in S. Korea. They're an ally, and the people of that country enjoy a high standard of living.

I get what Anderson is doing as well, and his Western rod shootout does translate to my fishing on the Delaware (which was particularly windy in 2010!). It's better than nothing, and I do applaud Anderson for making the effort. Looking at the other testers' comments can be just as interesting as reading Anderson's alone.

P.S. I should mention that I use GPX line for all of my non-dry fly fishing. I use SA's Mastery Trout for drys.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Burk, thanks for posting this and congrats on being affiliated with such a product. I didn't actually know of this thread until it was mentioned in the one I posted.

The other thing I think is notable is that the Zenith is considerably cheaper than some of the other "hot rods" in the test. Its odd to refer to a $645 rod as "cheaper", but that's alot less than $755.

Given the price difference and how this review sang its praises, I bet many choruses of "Dammit GEORGE!" have been heard from Bainbridge Island and Twin Bridges.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:12 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Given the price difference and how this review sang its praises, I bet many choruses of "Dammit GEORGE!" have been heard from Bainbridge Island and Twin Bridges.
Hi Cliff,
Read James Anderson's assessment of the Winston Passport, and you might think the folks at Winston will be delighted: Counter Points
Old 01-05-2011, 09:26 AM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

I feel very "Connected" with my Greys Streamflex 10', somewhat my Helios 10' and most Scott's I have ever tried in the 9' range.

By connected the Greys rod will transmit subtle things through the rod to my hand and during a fight down to my elbow. Things like a AB or BB hitting a rock while nymphing or slack on the line moving the tip of the rod up 2 inches in a heavier weighted high stick moment. Nymph fisher know it as the "6 SENSE" but it is really just subtle things..
Anyway.. The question:

Casting is great and I am glad to see the scores on some of my favorite rod companies.

How is the Fishing? Will this new technology transmint subtle info to the rod and into your hand?

Hook setting is another thing. I loved the Winston BIIX and can't believe I don't own it. But my hook set with the rod sucked I snag hooked about 75% of my fish while nymphing with the rod. So I sold it.

So... Any comments would be greatly appreciated. I honestly am a fan of Greys (which is part of Hardy) and am thinking hard about selling my Helios because I am fearfull of breaking the rod on real fish. If I could get a stronger 10' rod that will accept not being Babied I am game.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:49 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Until someone comes up with aa true blind test of rods, I'll take tests like this lightly. I do like how they tell you some actuals like rod weight and component make up but for the testing, everyone has different needs and desires in a rod and everyone is capable of making those little adjustments in their casting stroke that helps make rods work better for them.

Years ago when 'steel was real' and the main material used in pro road bikes, a magazine did blinds tests of the tubing that made up the frames. Many were convinced that Reynolds tubing was better that Columbus that was better than... you get the idea.
The mag sent tube sets to a frame builder and had him build up identical frames with the different tube sets. When completed the frames were judges by a number painted on the frames. There was no indication whatsoever of which frame carried which tubing.
That, my friend, is a true test where bias does not and cannot come into play. We need tests like this instead of these brand name tests.
I know a mag did a rod test like this but covering the name on the blank counted for nothing. At the time a Loomis GLX reel seat stuck out like a sore thumb. It didn't take a genius to tell which rod was being cast.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:22 AM

Well, James Anderson said in his counter point that he thought the BIIIX and Passport were built on the same mandrel. Reading the counter points was just as valuable to me as George Anderson's opinion.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
Hi Cliff,
Read James Anderson's assessment of the Winston Passport, and you might think the folks at Winston will be delighted: Counter Points
I did and while its helpful, they'd probably much prefer the praise of the BIIIx.

The buyer of a BIIIx is probably somewhat likely to also consider the Hardy Zenith, and vice versa. Such high praise of a rod that's $110 cheaper doesn't help Winston.

The Passport buyer is likely to also look at TFO's BVK, and Winston is bound to appreciate any leg this gives them up on the other budget rods.

But if this kills their sales of the BIIIx but sends the Passport's (likely produced at a chinese factory that's also producing many other manufacturer's rods and can't respond to demand as nimbly) numbers through the roof, its gonna cause Winston some stress. I'm sure some of those in charge at Winston are quite concerned about them becoming "another TFO/Echo/etc".

I actually think that maybe doing what Ross did and establishing a "Winston Global" brand to semi-separate the cheap stuff might be wise. Then again, Ross is now 3M, so...

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:19 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

i have read all of this , as far as my personal test and own both 590-4 z axis and the loomis nrx 9 ' 5 wt. the nrx is far better casting and fishing rod haven't had any problems cast 25 ft out to 70 ft with drys or double nymph rigs. if a better casting or fishing rod exist i want to cast it. but have bought many rods that cast ok but sucked at fishing. my favorite was the 490-4 xp but some sucker stole it. never tryed overlining a full line weight as mr Andersons says with xp's it fished great with sa 4 gpx. take 10 rods with 10 casters and get 10 different opinions. my 2 cents.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:12 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
I did and while its helpful, they'd probably much prefer the praise of the BIIIx.

The buyer of a BIIIx is probably somewhat likely to also consider the Hardy Zenith, and vice versa. Such high praise of a rod that's $110 cheaper doesn't help Winston.

The Passport buyer is likely to also look at TFO's BVK, and Winston is bound to appreciate any leg this gives them up on the other budget rods.

But if this kills their sales of the BIIIx but sends the Passport's (likely produced at a chinese factory that's also producing many other manufacturer's rods and can't respond to demand as nimbly) numbers through the roof, its gonna cause Winston some stress. I'm sure some of those in charge at Winston are quite concerned about them becoming "another TFO/Echo/etc".

I actually think that maybe doing what Ross did and establishing a "Winston Global" brand to semi-separate the cheap stuff might be wise. Then again, Ross is now 3M, so...
In all sincerity, I suspect Passports are far more profitable for Winston. Winston needs to be a player in the high end to succeed, but they need to sell imports to be viable.

Quote:
So... Any comments would be greatly appreciated. I honestly am a fan of Greys (which is part of Hardy) and am thinking hard about selling my Helios because I am fearfull of breaking the rod on real fish. If I could get a stronger 10' rod that will accept not being Babied I am game.
I really wish they would have tested the Streamflex verse the GRXI. The Streamflex rods all have great actions. And cosmetically they would compare with the REAL high end stuff. This years Streamflex is IMO one of the sharpest rods on the market with great quality components.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:41 AM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

I have an honest 2 or 3 hours trigger time behind a zenith. Its a nice rod but lets not pretend they changed the game. Everyone is using the nano silica technoligy. Is it strong? Who knows...i dont break fly rods. Would i buy one? No way...not going to pay $700 for a far east import. It competes with the high end Sage's and St. Croix's i have cast with but im not going to endlessly drone on about the talking points from their add campaign. Its a Korean fly rod thats pretty good. Thats the end of it.

As for the review...fly rod reviews are like any review...worthless.

After reading this...months later (11/9) i really come off as a crank. Must have been in a bad mood! I did in fact end up buying one of these rods. Once i got one on the water it spoke to me!

Last edited by db cooper; 11-09-2012 at 07:27 PM.