The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2011, 12:24 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Hardy Zenith wins Yellowstone Angler shootout!

Quote:
Originally Posted by db cooper View Post
As for the review...fly rod reviews are like any review...worthless.
I get some good information out of reviews, such as if a rod is made in Korea or not.
The specs and hardware details are good to know if that's of interest to you.
The actual casting and fishing ability of the rods is somewhat a ****-shoot in reviews though. Some reviewers seem to really favor rods that they either helped to design (and they aren't shy about telling you that) or that might not play well in anything but windy, western waters. Other reviewers pull reverse snobbery and only review rods up to a certain price point.
I read most reviews and take out of them what I can. The proof of any rod is casting it yourself with the line you would like to use with it.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:58 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

To me fishing the rod is more of a test then Anderson's "What Do We Do Come Wintertime" c r a p shoot. As before, use the river, different lines and reels and then give your UNBIASED report. Add in T&T, Scott, Tom Morgan, Cabelas, Great Bay, TL Johnson etc. Not conduct the "test" in a gym as he's been doing. I'm willing to bet Geo carries Hardy, Sage, Loomis and Winston, St Croix, Redington, Orvis and TFO in his shop- not that there's anything wrong with that.
Oh and use lines that are 5w. Not 5 1/2 w like Jackster said.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:24 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Part that's so interesting is there's a parallel thread going on the UK 'Mother Board' with just this same question. Posted over a link to here if anyone was interested in taking a peek with 'our thoughts.'

Bye the bye, a darned good board and your log in info here will be the same 'over there.'

fae

Last edited by fredaevans; 03-20-2011 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Can't 'spell' worth Shxt this afternoon. :>(
Old 03-20-2011, 09:11 PM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
To me fishing the rod is more of a test then Anderson's "What Do We Do Come Wintertime" c r a p shoot. As before, use the river, different lines and reels and then give your UNBIASED report. Add in T&T, Scott, Tom Morgan, Cabelas, Great Bay, TL Johnson etc. Not conduct the "test" in a gym as he's been doing. I'm willing to bet Geo carries Hardy, Sage, Loomis and Winston, St Croix, Redington, Orvis and TFO in his shop- not that there's anything wrong with that.
BINGO!!! This is why these reviews are MARKETING TOOLS
Old 03-20-2011, 10:47 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Oh... I thought I read in the shootout that they used SA GPX lines.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:30 PM

chicagojohn will become famous soon enoughchicagojohn will become famous soon enough

GPX lines are a half line size heavier than standard 5 weight lines, which was what they used in the shootout

Quote:
"Again this year, we decided to use the standard Scientific Anglers Mastery GPX lines for all our test reels. We used mostly #5’s but had one #6 GPX on hand to try out on the stiffest rods (some of them needed it!) The GPX taper is more suited to the stiffer, medium fast and fast action rods we are testing since it is about a half line size heavier than a more normal Trout Taper and with a 26-foot belly; it has more weight in the forward part of the line. Front tapers are a short 6.5 feet that allows for a quicker turnover with longer leaders and in a stiff wind."
Old 03-21-2011, 07:10 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojohn View Post
GPX lines are a half line size heavier than standard 5 weight lines, which was what they used in the shootout
Now what would the results have been if they used a straight 5w line? Something to think about George.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:21 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

I put as much stock in rod reviews as I do in movie reviews. Personal taste still counts for something, at least in this cave.
Gary
Old 04-12-2011, 12:02 AM

bloke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by db cooper View Post
I have an honest 2 or 3 hours trigger time behind a zenith. Its a nice rod but lets not pretend they changed the game. Everyone is using the nano silica technoligy. Is it strong? Who knows...i dont break fly rods. Would i buy one? No way...not going to pay $700 for a far east import. It competes with the high end Sage's and St. Croix's i have cast with but im not going to endlessly drone on about the talking points from their add campaign. Its a Korean fly rod thats pretty good. Thats the end of it.

As for the review...fly rod reviews are like any review...worthless.
Can I ask how you guys know these rods are made in Korea?
and to be more precise which factory in Korea?
Mick
Old 04-12-2011, 12:59 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloke View Post
Can I ask how you guys know these rods are made in Korea?
A "Made in Korea" sticker is attached to every Zenith and every other non-UK Hardy rod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloke View Post
...to be more precise which factory in Korea?
Sorry. Don't know.